whistling on dancing on ice!

big olga

Hi, Why do they let people whistle on shows like "Dancing on Ice" I have to mute the sound at the start of the show as it is a wall of sound with jungle sounds and high pictched whistling;it jangles my nerves and if I was close to the one who was doing it ----------

Every show is the same, they need to get our attention with loud yelling and screaming and of course whistling! in the old days polite clapping was all that was needed.

don,t start me on the speeded up editing that is in every programme;even the News!

Is it just me in my old age that has noticed this change that we are being bombarded with!

Dave.

Agreed re the adverts - best thing we ever did was to start recording things we wanted to watch so we can watch when we want, but also thro' the wonders of technology, you can "pause" a programme like Downton Abbey, Dancing on Ice, whatever as it starts - faff about for 10 min or so to get a cuppa, refill etc then play catch up by FF'ing the adverts.

I was told that there is the technology to enable a programmes to be recorded without the adverts being recorded but the advertisers threatened all sorts if it was made available.

Hi, Clive H,I listen to the radio in the morning while having a shave but I have to rush to the radio to turn it off because of an ad. about a "chipped windscreen" it is on every ad break!

[ I think it could be used to make someone talk in a holding cell!]

re. the T.V. ads. I get my own back by putting the sound on mute!

The item about the "heart compressions" -----I thought it was a sick joke!

as a first Aider I find it disturbing ;as there is no instruction on how to check for a pulse!

If someone fainted in the street an untrained person could start heart compressions!!!

Rant over for to-day!

dave.

I think that quite a lot of " audience participation " is encouraged by the producers / directors of shows because they think it gives the shows ' atmosphere '

Which is true - trouble is it's the atmosphere of a zoo.

What irritates me is quiz shows where the participants clap their own answers.

Whose idea was that ?

:-(

I suspect like many people who enjoy the dancing etc programs we don't watch "live" but set up the shows for recording on our PVR.

You can then use the 30sec "jump" facility to skip through adverts, "reviews", "previously", banal chat and comments from the judges who know nothing and are merely there as "celebreties" etc. etc.

It often results in 30min entertaining viewing in a 2 hour show.

If you are really clever you can begin watching the recording part way through the show and finish at the "live" voting - but mtake care you may have to sit through the endless reviews and adverts.

To be honest we rarely watch a program on a commercial channel live - everything is recorded for viewing later (can then save up the episodes for an evening viewing). Don't advertisers realise just how irriitating some of the adverts are? Or am I just getting more intollerant as I get older?

ChrisB - 2012-01-30 9:53 AM

I suspect like many people who enjoy the dancing etc programs we don't watch "live" but set up the shows for recording on our PVR.

You can then use the 30sec "jump" facility to skip through adverts, "reviews", "previously", banal chat and comments from the judges who know nothing and are merely there as "celebreties" etc. etc.

It often results in 30min entertaining viewing in a 2 hour show.

If you are really clever you can begin watching the recording part way through the show and finish at the "live" voting - but mtake care you may have to sit through the endless reviews and adverts.

To be honest we rarely watch a program on a commercial channel live - everything is recorded for viewing later (can then save up the episodes for an evening viewing). Don't advertisers realise just how irritating some of the adverts are? Or am I just getting more intollerant as I get older?

How interesting that we all seem to be "managing" our viewing to circumvent the adverts. I am not sure it is about tolerance levels or age - my sons said "why don't you do this' because frankly, it had not occurred to me, such is my "mind set" re watching the TV.

What I did before was to pick up my book as soon as the adverts came on, if the book took my interest more than the programme when it resumed I carried on reading the book.

But some adverts are very good - one of my favourites is the Aldi ones. The welsh girl wondering if she is pregnant for liking mayonnaise on her cornflakes is a classic - as is the lady whose husband likes tea, but she likes gin.

So advertisers can get it right. But we do seem to be moving more to the US standard of adverts being intrusive and so frequent that watching a programme becomes difficult.

Like others it seems we now plan future evenings watching by recording the commercial channels and watch the BBC if it has anything good on. When it doesn't - we then catch up with the commercial channel programmes and delight in whizzing past the adverts.

We rarely watch any 'live' (ie as they are aired) programmes now, preferring to record them and watch them when we want, not when the TV schedule dictates.

I get fed up of the TV shows with the 'sponsored by ...' bits at start and end of each advert break ... although the 'Wonga' puppets are quite funny!

big olga - 2012-01-30 9:08 AM

The item about the "heart compressions" -----I thought it was a sick joke!

as a first Aider I find it disturbing ;as there is no instruction on how to check for a pulse!

If someone fainted in the street an untrained person could start heart compressions!!!

Rant over for to-day!

dave.

Actually the training manual now advises against looking for a pulse as many 'semi trained' first aiders or non trained members of the public fail to find one even when it is present, albeit in a weakened state.

The advice now is to commence CPR if there is no obvious signs of breathing, i.e. rising chest or actually feeling the persons breath on your own cheek.

Performing CPR on a beating heart will cause no damage, so now, when you hand over to a qualified person, they will make the check before applying defib.

The advice and training methods change regularly, it could be that when you took your last assessment or training , you were told to look for a pulse, but it's different now.

This is also apparent in the breath to compression ratio, 3 years ago it was 2 breaths to 15 compressions, now its 2 to 30.

I know what you mean about those annoying repetative ads though.

Ha ha Clive you do the same as me I leave the beginning of the programme to so allow me to make up minutes . Then when the ads come on I wizz through them ..

Donna very correct I just did my latest First Aid and it has changed and no we dont look for a pulse.

Actually I find that one of the few adverts I actually laugh at . Its Vinnie Jones I can only see his face in snatch the film and the big guy behind himn is in it also .

;-)

On my last 3 yearly retest last April, The assessor who came in to the class had obviously had a bad day, or perhaps his wife had been giving him grief.

So we had done all the usual scenarios with burns,breaks and bleeds and came to the part where you find an 'unconsious' patient and go through the proper sequences leading up to CPR and emergency breathing.

Anyway he was well known for being a bit of an arse, and this is why I think maybe his wife had upset him the night before............

I was the only woman on the course, my turn came near the end of the group and for whatever perverse reason he obviously decided to make an example of me, the normal time they expect you to carry out full compression and breathing (30 compressions x 2 breaths) is 2 minutes, that's 4 sets, so I finish my 4th set expecting him to say "ok that's fine", only he looks over, grins and says "the ambulance has been delayed, please continue"

Well if you've done CPR properly, then you will know it's tiring to say the least. So I carry on, 2 more sets, still nothing, by this time i'm sweating like a fat bird on a treadmill, still nothing, 1 more set and never mind Annie on the floor not breathing, I'm having trouble myself.

I look over and he raises his eyebrow as if to say "whats wrong love, struggling are we?", so I do 2 more breaths, 5 compressions, then I stood up, looked at my watch, stared him straight in the eye and said

"Time of death 15.35" and went and sat down, the class burst out laughing and started clapping, they knew what he was doing and didn't like it.

I passed by the way. :D :D

Guest Tracker
These shows with audience participation - sorry I mean management and manipulation - seem to be targeted at teenagers - trouble is teenagers don't buy the TV or pay for the license!

Hi all,

is it just me or is it an age thing?

there are a number of programmes where the noise

realy grates on me, x factor being the worst. I won`t watch it

but swmbo likes it, she turns the sound off at the beginning and

at each break. The bloke shouting at the begining gets on my t--ts

as does dermot oleary. They have microphones why shout?

casey.

I contacted the Beeb over this issue relative to 'Strictly come dancing' (I used to enjoy the show watching the progress from utter rubbish to looking almost professional) and received the following:

In response to your concerns we’d like to provide the following reply from the programme’s production team:

“Strictly Come Dancing is a live show, with the results show being filmed as live, and the audience are inevitably very excited to be there, the dancing being the main attraction.

All the music acts that appear on Strictly are given the option to have our professional dancers perform with them. The Military Wives were delighted to have Vincent and Flavia dancing, it was very much in keeping with the song and they were happy with the performance and the audience reaction they received.

Overall we felt the audience gave a very respectful show of appreciation which didn’t detract from the Military Wives performance but we’re sorry if on this occasion it spoilt your enjoyment.”

So like all 'large corporations/organisations' the consumer is IMO treated like an idiot.....floor managers do their best to engender this whistling/applause AND overbearing noise and the Beeb expects us to accept it is spontaneous.....now I switch off or leave SWMBO to watch while I go and read a good book.

Guest Tracker

When the BBC / ITV look at the alleged audience figures for this type of programme and see that the numbers are high it appears that the morons who like the noise outnumber the normal folk that don't so the rest of us have no chance of it changing - why would they change it?

Apart from that programme producers are an arrogant lot who are adamant that their way is the only way and with attitudes like that things are never going to change - why would they wabt to change it?

It's all part of the dumbing down of the nation where everyone is ground down to same lowest level instead of being encouraged to climb to a more intelligent level?

It all starts at school with individuality and individual excellence seemingly frowned upon as being bad for the morale of the less bright kids instead of something to aspire too and I don't see the do gooders insisting on equality ever allowing that to change?

Hi, Tracker, You mention things starting at school----Well--- I blame the prog. "Grange hill "for the bad attitude of the youth of to-day and when the prog. was broadcast.[a while back now]

It is what I call "script writers nonsense" when I was at school no one would have talked to the teachers like that; if they had it would have been a trip to the head masters office for a slap on the hand with a cane!

this prog. put the ideas in young peoples heads that they could disrespect the teachers and the school.

I believe it has a lot to answer for! In my day it would not have been tollerated!

Best Wishes Dave. P.S. I am glad it is not just me!

I think all the whistling and whooping has actually come from across the Atlantic.

A bit like that " high five " nonsense, which was exported TO the U.S. from Britain as the childrens game

of ' pattacake ' in my childhood.

( And now adopted so enthusiastically by the England cricket team).

;-)

Archived