Insurance Again

Mike B.

Bearing in mind everyone is saying insurance is going up horrendously this year I have just asked for a quote from the Insurance advertisers on here 'Sureterm Direct' and it has come back at £197!

This is some £150 less than my current insurance-admittedly doesn't include breakdown insurance but I wouldn't expect that to be £150 pa.

Has anyone any experience of these people?

Mike

EDIT-Interestingly just got a quote for the bike and it's 2.5 times more than I pay at present!!!! Strange stuff this!

Arthur Brown - 2012-01-30 9:02 PM

Hi Mike

Just renewed my van insurance with Safeguard again. Same price exactly as last year which I thought was reasonable under the current circumstances of everything going up. Wish your post had been last week!!!

Art

Hi Art

Only noticed the advert today and I am also with Safeguard who I have been very happy with for years. Being a bit of a cynic, I am not convinced about this £197 offer and will post again after they contact me with add on for breakdown! Don't be too disappointed..................yet!!

Mike :-)

Shop around every year. Last year paid £208 through Scenic (part of Swinton), expected a rise this year due to all publicity about car insurance having gone up by 40% and was shocked when renewal came through at £280 although that is about a 40% rise. So shopped around and got it for £176 with Highway (part of LV) through The Insurance Factory. Talking to other owners, Highway seem to be this years cheapest so check for a broker that deals with them. Frank Pickles is another one that does.

These don't include breakdown which I don't want as have RAC personal cover (through C&CC) which covers me in any vehicle.

When I asked for quote from Sureterm they insisted on the van having a tracker after telling them I wasn't interested they sill kept phoning for 3 weeks really did get fed up with them.

We were with Scenic until I found out their policy is not a dedicated Motorhome Policy & they wouldn't cover the sat system, changed to Comfort even paying the extra for to cover the sat dish including breakdown cover they were considerable cheaper than Scenic & last renewal only increased by 7 quid.

Lennyhb, the point you have mentioned about "dedicated motorhome insurance" is very important. The small print needs to be checked thoroughly, it becomes a shock when you have to submit a claim then find out you are not covered for what you thought you were. There is value policies and there is value policies. A good insurance company will always highlight the essential points. I for one will be returning to the Caravan Club this year, it costs a little more but the cover is spot on. I have heard a horror story recently from a friend of mine who was unfortunate to have been involved in an accident where his motorhome was badly damaged by a third party and the response he has been having from his insurance company has left much to be desired. It is a very well known company, I have spoken to them about my friends situation and I have told them that I will not be renewing my policy with them again this year. I don't want the stress and hassle he has had to go through and it will be ongoing for some considerable time.

Guest 1footinthegrave
dshague - 2012-01-31 8:23 PM

safeguard  for us again this year £309 last year £319 this year with full breakdown its a good company and offer a very good policy

Ditto

Safeguard with full European recovery last year for us £267, a no brainer

As for Rolandrat's comment, come on name and shame them if it's a "well known company", that could help others avoid hassle in the future. ;-)

Regarding naming and shameing, I don't want to go down that road but one thing I will say and we are all aware of it is that you don't get owt for nowt. I was sucked in by the price I was quoted saving what I thought was a large sum of money. Previously I was insured by the Caravan Clubs insurers for a number of years and at renewal time I could always haggle a little up to £100 off, the last time after I had obtained a quote from my latest company but on that occasion they would only drop it by £50 so like a fool I walked away. What I should have done on receiving the new policy was to go through the small print with a fine tooth comb and after identifying the shortcomings cancelled it. At present I'm letting it run it's course then I'm going back to the Caravan Club (Devitts) knowing that I am in safe hands and hope that all will be well untill then. Just to return to the naming and shameing, we all know that there are some two bit lousy rogues out there who deserve all the publicity thats thrown at them but I think an insurance company is in a different league and it's up to us the end user to "read the small print" to establish whether or not it is suitable for purpose. When I took the matter of my concern up with this very well known motorhome insurer they said that they would consider highlighting the main point that I had raised and thanked me.

Guest 1footinthegrave

"When I took the matter of my concern up with this very well known motorhome insurer they said that they would consider highlighting the main point that I had raised and thanked me."

But you will neither tell other forum users the "main point" or the name of the company. (?)

The main point being what happens when you have to be without your motorhome for some considerable time or not getting it back at all. "Replacement" for permanent loss or maybe the "Hire" of one whilst it is being repaired. My discussion with the insurance company was along those lines and for me the outcome wasn't acceptable. There will be owners out there who are quite happy with their cover who have never experienced total loss or been involved in an accident, it's only because of my friend telling me of his accident and the response of his insurance company that I looked at the small print in mine and I then realised the reason why the policy was so very competitive. Motorhomes are a very expensive toy so insurance of the right type is very important and I think it is only right that the companies highlight what they are covering you for. If your car is off the road being repaired you could be offered a hire car for the duration and if your motorhome is being repaired you should be offered a hire motorhome for as long as it takes to complete the repair.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Surely it's about balance, the idea that an insurance company could put at your disposal a 50/80 k M/home for as long as it takes sounds like a recipe for sky high premiums to me, but thanks for clarifying the issue.

This is simply a matter of making sure that the insurance you buy covers your own particular requirements.

With several vehicles in the family, I never add such extras as hire cars or replacement vehicles, or I minimise the selection I make.

I'm quite happy to work around any issues that this causes, and it generally reduces the insurance cost.

And, BTW, I have had the misfortune to write-off a motorcaravan in France (many years ago) and as such have had to live with the consequences of my selection.

So - horses for courses.

My insurance company small print states that in a no fault accident you are intitled to a replacement vehicle, but whilst waiting over 3 months already for a settlement we could not get a replacement motorhome from them we are without any, what use would a car be, thats all that was offered.

I have noted that on the renewal papers that have arrived, the details on replacements have been ommited.

GDH - 2012-02-05 7:59 PM

My insurance company small print states that in a no fault accident you are intitled to a replacement vehicle, but whilst waiting over 3 months already for a settlement we could not get a replacement motorhome from them we are without any, what use would a car be, thats all that was offered.

I have noted that on the renewal papers that have arrived, the details on replacements have been ommited.

What company are you with? I will steer clear of them

Mike

Thanks for that and thanks for all the replies

After all this research, I think I am better staying with Safeguard-the cheaper ones all seem to offer less if you study it.

I have been happy with them for the past few years so I suppose better the devil you know. That's unless there is some rediculous increase in my premium next month!

Mike

Just got a quote from Safeguard, renewal due 1st March.

Safeguard £"291.48

Caravan Guard £494.50 current insurer. The terms appear to be identical, so looks like a cHANGE OF INSURER THIS YEAR

as a lot of you appear to be happy with them, don't have any worries about changing!!

PJay

Mike B. - 2012-02-08 9:01 PM

After all this research, I think I am better staying with Safeguard-the cheaper ones all seem to offer less if you study it.

I have been happy with them for the past few years so I suppose better the devil you know. That's unless there is some rediculous increase in my premium next month!

Mike

Mike we used to be with them and will definately go back to them. You gets what you pay for and we would rather have peace of mind and know its all ok .

We broke down in France its so much easier with just two adults pack up go to a hotel but with disabled kids Safegaurd went above & beyond to get us sorted and on our way . Even sent the truck to get us on a French campsite with English speaking people.

I will stay with them . I know what I get for our money .

I once told them that I had mentioned them on here years ago and I was awarded £50 off instantly over the phone ;-) And they were able to collect us and insure us for over 3800. Most people forget to ask , only to find out they cannot be recovered *-)

michele - 2012-02-10 9:00 PM

Mike B. - 2012-02-08 9:01 PM

Mike

Mike we used to be with them and will definately go back to them. You gets what you pay for and we would rather have peace of mind and know its all ok .

We broke down in France its so much easier with just two adults pack up go to a hotel but with disabled kids Safegaurd went above & beyond to get us sorted and on our way . Even sent the truck to get us on a French campsite with English speaking people.

I will stay with them . I know what I get for our money .

I once told them that I had mentioned them on here years ago and I was awarded £50 off instantly over the phone ;-) And they were able to collect us and insure us for over 3800. Most people forget to ask , only to find out they cannot be recovered *-)

Thanks Michele

As you say-worth the extra for peace of mind and security. I'm sure I will stay with them. I've also got a quote for the bike from their bike section and that is about £10 cheaper than Bennetts so I'll do both together.

Mike

Archived