Well that was surprisingly easy

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I'd only done it once before and I was very nervous then......and that was a while ago....but I was getting desperate so had to do it in France......fortunately I found somewhere to do it and was able to watch a young French lady do it with ease, which gave me some confidence........So I sorted out my bits and pieces.....girded up my loins............and did the deed.

13.33euros for 15.70 litres of gas :D

With thanks to Dave Newell who helped me in my hour of need ;-)

Interesting.

The cost of GPL (or LPG if you speak English) in the UK at the moment is about £0-75 per litre.

The cost in France, from the above post is €1.18 per litre, which equates to £0-97 per litre at todays exchange rate.

Amazing, the UK is cheaper than France ;-)

But how many of you realise that you are paying the wrong price anyway, VAT on gas used for heating stands at 5%, whereas for automotive fuel is the standard 20% rate.

Try getting the retailer to accept that though.

See here, scroll down for energy supplies.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/rates/goods-services.htm#4

It's also handy to check on the vat you have been charged by suppliers and installers on those solar panels (should have been 5% as well) and other services, you'll be suprised at how many vat registered tradesmen rip you off on the vat, then pay the reduced rate to HMRC.

Guest pelmetman
According to my billet its 0-849 a litre whether thats before tax I'm not sure...........but I'm still on a learning curve with this refillable milarky.........and as it only took 15+ litres I still had over 6 left so I'll know in future not to panic when the gauge hits the red :D

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2012-01-31 3:30 PM

13.33euros for 15.70 litres of gas :D

Unless maths has changed as I get older I make 13.33 euros divided by 15.7 litres equals 84.9 cents a litre which at about 1.18 euros to the pound is about 71.4 pence a litre!

Like you I'm new to this Autogas stuff, having had an onboard tank fitted to our pvc.

I've managed to only fill up twice in France; with the cheerful assistance of a more experienced Brit and a local. At home I've found a filling station locally, with a type of nozzle that I like, and I feel much more confident now. It's still not second nature, but I'm getting there.

And isn't it worth it!

Happy Camping

alan b

Dave - wtch out with refillable LPG - the tank can never completely empty, being a gas at normal pressure the tank will always retain a portion of what you initially put in. It is not like petrol or diesel where as the fuel is used it is replaced by air.

My Disco's tanks are 60L in total, but you can only get this in when the tanks are new, after that the max fill-up is between 53 and 56 L depending on the pressure of the filling pump.

So suggest you do not think that the 6L you had left is all available - A lot of it will be but not all of it.

spospe - 2012-01-31 4:05 PM

Interesting.

The cost of GPL (or LPG if you speak English) in the UK at the moment is about £0-75 per litre.

The cost in France, from the above post is €1.18 per litre, which equates to £0-97 per litre at todays exchange rate.

Amazing, the UK is cheaper than France ;-)

Whoops!

Thanks to Tracker, I rechecked my arithmatic and yes I have divided the wrong way round and the true figure per litre is €0-85, which at an exchange rate of £0-83 to the euro makes the cost near as dammit £0-71.

So the bottom line is that France is a tiny bit cheaper than the UK for gas, but not by much.

Guest pelmetman
spospe - 2012-01-31 5:55 PM

So the bottom line is that France is a tiny bit cheaper than the UK for gas, but not by much.

Well thats a relief .............plus I didn't have to start on the Campinggaz at 20+ quid a pop :D

nowtelse2do - 2012-01-31 6:08 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you can only fill a tank or container to 80% :-S

Dave

The bigger the tanks the higher the percentage - so I would say on a small container this 80% would be about right Dave(s) - My dual fuel Disco with 60L tank volume is about a 55L fillup.

So that is just over 90%.

The remaining percentage is still there! - it is just not usable because there is no air alternative to replace it.

Archived