Taking MH to Isle of Skye

JohnP

Beautiful sites especially along the white sands near Arisaig. Use the bridge not the ferry.....keeps cost down.

Some roads are narrow but if you use the passing places then you can get to most places. Dunvegan castle, gardens and seal colony are well worth a visit and the port of Mallaig is a good point of departure for more island hopping.Must just add that on the way up, Morrisons in Fort William has the cheapest petrol so worth filling up and the Caravan Club sites at North Ledaig and Bunree are well worth the money.

Great place to go. Most roads very quiet and passing places where road narrows. We crossed from Mallaig and returned over the bridge. Stayed in Portree on a very pleasant site and at the C&CC site at Loch Greshornish. Also a beautiful remote site right on the sea and the edge of the Cuilins at Glen Brittle. Depending on when you go be aware that Skye midges don't take prisoners.

Would certainly recommend a trip down to Glenbrittle.

Best to stock up with supplies at the Co-op supermarket at Broadford when you get on the island. Didn't see many other stores.

Ed: There was quite a nice little site up at Clachan, north east Skye - Staffin Site I think it was.

Hi We visited after an absence of many many years, two years ago. We arrived from Mallaig on the ferry and returned over the bridge. Its more of an experience that way and cheap compared to what ferry prices used to be. Many of the roads are now two lane, some are being widened and straightened and there's much less single track roads than there used to be. Infact the island feels much smaller than it used to be cos journey times are so much shorter.

Remember that lorries use even the single track roads, there are lots of passing places but progress is relatively slow.

We stayed at Loch Greshornish CCC site for a week to visit the top of the island, Dunvegan, Duntulm, the Quirang, Old Man of Storr, plenty of good easy walking and lots of things to stop and look at etc There's good shopping in Portree, a big Coop on the outskirts and interesting stuff in town and around the old port.

Then we went down to Glen Brittle for a closer look at the Cuillin. A long single track road but perfectly OK. Super seaside campsite, facilities Ok but not great but there's a beach, fabulous views of the mountains and a lovely walk out along the headland. Watch all the climbers heading out up into the mountains.

As others have mentioned thereanother big Coop at Broadford and petrol, very different to what I remember 45 years ago. A visit to the Distilery at Talisker is worthwhile.

cheers alan

Hi we did this last August took 5 days to drive round island beautiful!

stayed at Dunvegan camp site very friendly owner and then moved onto Uig Pier campsite just round corner of ferry terminal. handy location watch the ferries come and go to Western isles. A very nice pub down the road on the pier great seafood plus the Uig brewery is around the corner. The beer was great! An interesting unclassified road leads from up Uig hill over the quaraing drops down to Staffin the view is superb park at the top and look down at the hairpin bends leading down did this trip both ways to get the full inpact our van is 6m long and never had any problems! The Uig site toilets are a sight just dont spend too long as the water runs cold very quickly but where else can you get piped music ranging from scotland the brave to abba??? The germans who were staying at the time of our visit joined in with the words in the washing up sinks all nations together! (lol)

To add a somewhat more controversial post with a different view:

If you particularly want to visit Skye, then fine, but if you haven't visited the W coast of Scotland before and want to see the best of it from a motorcaravan, I would advise other destinations.

Don't get me wrong, I have been a frequent visitor to Skye, having used the sites at Uig, Staffin and Dunvegan in a motorhome, Glenbrittle in a tent, and rough-camped (tent) in various places on the island.

I've also done all the Cuillin (both Red and Black, including the epic Cuillin Traverse), the Quirang, Storr etc. and there are few better views and walks/climbs in the UK.

Which is fine if you go for an active holiday. If you want to sight-see, etc., have relatively easy access to a variety of sights from the 'van, and generally see a bit off Scotland, I would sooner recommend a trip up the whole of the West coast.

Whilst the roads and campsites on Skye have improved incomparably to those that existed in my early visits, some of the island's best locations and views are still difficult (either getting there or parking a reasonable-sized vehicle when you are there). For instance, the view of the Cuillin from Elgol must be one of the finest you could have, but, unless you are well out of season, parking a motorcaravan once you are there is likely to be challenging. I've had trouble parking cars before now at popular times, in places like the aformentioned "Quirang" parking place above Staffin. The roads generally aren't daunting, but the single-track roads can be very slow in a big vehicle if stopping at every passing place is required.

Please don't let me put you off (though the midges and rain might do that ;-) ), it may be that familiarity has bred contempt. Skye is a marvellous place, well worth visiting, but in a motorcaravan I find it a little "claustrophobic" compared with the wider appeal of the West coast.

Nothing to stop you doing both though. We've more than once stopped off on Skye for a few days, even a week but as part of a longer 'western' trip. Apart from the views try to find a cedlidh/ceilidh(?) or two while you're there. There used to be one every Thursday in the bar at Isle Ornsay and some real country ones futher north & west. Never had any problems parking at the Quirang or other spots but then we don't go at the height of the (mozzy) season. Recommended - along with Islay, Mull, west coast etc!

Before the Skye Bridge was built the ferry was the only way to get onto Skye and Uig was the only way the largest vehicles could get over to Lewis. Ullapool only ran a small ferry then. I used to go to Stornaway quite often with a very large arctic and although the roads are very narrow in places you drive accordingly and let one another pass. You won't have a problem with your motorhome at all. You will find that very little happens on Sundays over there, they take it very seriously.

I'm inclined to agree with Robin Hood - Skye is fine, and some great places there, but personally I'd much rather stay on the mainland south of Mallaig, or further north again round Applecross.

We went to Skye for a week or so the year before last, but left for the mainland after 4 or 5 days. Dunvegan campsite is great, but we didn't much take to the C&CC site at Loch Greshornish. So we went back last year to try again but couldn't wait to get back to the Mallaig/Arisaig area (which pretty much ties you to the ferry rather than the bridge.) Having decided, we then were very impressed by the Sleat area, though.

It's probably just us!

We had our first visit to the West coast last September which unfortunately was hit by the aftermath of that big hurricane coming over from the USA though it did mean some of the waterfalls/rivers were in full spate and spectacular.

We intended going from Malaig to IoS but 70mph+ winds meant it was not possible.

We stayed here http://www.invercaimbecaravansite.co.uk/ for just the one night which is a shame because we intended staying for three but the high winds put paid to that.

This site is in a stunning beach location and is as 'natural' as can be. The facilities are 'basic' but the site, views, beach and owner (Joyce) make up for any shortfall in that department.

In essence would we return.......we most certainly will it is a little oasis of beauty and tranquillity.

Was it Uig Brewery that does some bonkers 7% beer? Cuillin Beast / Monster or something. On a boys trip I remember getting full of the stuff and had to be carried back to the van. We stayed on the site at Uig before getting the ferry out to the Outer Hebrides. We also wild camped on Skye as there are lots of places. We spent one night by a loch where we were eaten to death by midges.

Archived