French Gas Bottles

Wilf

JamesFrance - 2012-02-14 5:46 PM

Here is the Butagaz connector for a 13kg propane to be attached to a bulkhead mounted regulator.

http://boutique.butagaz.fr/Pages/Article.aspx?articleId=688&catId=16&pid=5&inSubCat=False

Is it the same as a UK butane connector?

No. That's the Master Clip. The standard 13kg Butagaz steel cylinder, silver upper half, metallic blue lower half, has a left hand threaded screw connector. See pic.

1289651399_6010_uk1.jpg.02950b31a5c9c232547621e8d42152a8.jpg

laimeduck - 2012-02-14 5:23 PM

Robin - At present we have 2 calor propane cylinders feeding it via an automatic changeover fitting as pictured. The pigtail from the changeover goes to the regulator, so I imagine I will need a Pigtail from the Butagaz to the changover valve.

Since my original post, I managed to find data for the Cavagna 424C which says Butane or Propane - as pictures:-

....yes, I wasn't worried about the regulator per se (it is at the EU harmonised pressure of 30mbar for either propane or butane, so not a problem - and I assume you're currently using UK propane anyway?).

I suspected you had a changeover head (I think my Benimar also had the same, my last 'van certainly did) - whilst I would check the fitting when you buy just to be sure, a generic UK butane pigtail should be fine (and be fitted to one input of the changeover head).

Having it means, of course, no switching of pigtails once you have one of each bottle type connected, and you can run almost exclusively off the French bottle whilst abroad, only switching temporarily to the UK one as a stop-gap between exchanges.

Gentlemen - many thanks.

I will buy a butane standard pigtail.

I now feel confident that the next time I go to France, I will go with one Calor Propane cylinder, then buy another Butagaz when I get there.

Hope it works - I'm sure it will, I have every confidence in you all!

8-) 8-)

If you take this route, Jeremy, one advantage you will have is that it will prepare you for potential use of almost any EU bottle.

The 21.8 LH hose (which will connect directly to a UK Butane or a French 13kg Propane), can also be fitted at the bottle end with one of a range of adapters that will enable the use of other bottles. The Gaslow website is a good source of info.

Best bought in advance, but the availability is becoming more widespread.

There are products marketed in France that permit the gas-bottle connections of certain 'foreign' leisure vehicles to be adapted to the traditional French gas-bottle connector norm. However, expecting to obtain a UK(propane)-to-French bottle adapter off the shelf at a French motorhome/caravan dealership would be asking a lot, and the adapters aren't cheap to begin with.

An alternative to replacing a UK propane-standard pigtail with a UK butane-standard/French propane/butane standard pigtail would be to use one of these

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Gaslow_Propane_Refillable_Adaptor_Gauge.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager

However, as has already has been advised, replacing the current UK propane-standard pigtail with a UK butane-standard one will be the logical (and least expensive) approach.

(Regarding 'on-bottle' regulators, my understanding is that French regulations have, for quite a few years, generally prohibited these being used in French-registered leisure vehicles. UK regulations don't prohibit them for UK-registered leisure vehicles, neither does Germany for German-registered leisure vehicles, but France does. France also prohibits - again for French-registered leisure vehicles - use of worm-drive clips to secure flexible gas-hoses: the hose-connections need to be of the threaded type.)

Archived