Campsite handy for Leeds City Centre?

Dixie

We need to visit Leeds regularly but have so far failed to find a site open all year with good public transport links to the city centre. There are a few good CLs on the outskirts but all have a serious hike to the nearest bus stop or station.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

John & Anne.

We used a C&CC CS a couple of years ago (even though we weren't members).

It was at the side of a pub on the outskirts of the city. On a bus route, but we paid a fiver to get a taxi to the city.

Can't find the details at the mo, but will have a look later.

When my daughter was at Leeds Uni, we stayed at Rawson Garth CL on Pool Bank Road above Pool in Wharfedale. It was certainly well out of season, and it currrently shows as open all year.

The direct bus into Leeds is on the main road at the top of the hill, about 1/4 miles away. About a similar distance in the other direction (In Pool) there is a "gastropub" with decent food and beer.

Perfectly adequate site with hardstandings, if nothing out of the ordinary, but I wouldn't attempt the private access road up to the pitches in icy conditions, as it is steep. OK in wet conditions in my then 22ft A class though.

If you want to consider something different, Riverside Campsite at Cononley (between Skipton and Keighley) has hardstandings in a largely rural setting and is a similar 1/4 mile (but flat) walk from the station. Their website says open all year (I've only used the rally field there, but will go back). Regular trains direct to Leeds from approx 06:00 inwards to after 23:00 outwards, at just over £7 return.

Thanks Robinhood, Rawson Garth is one of the CLs we've tried.

Good site and it is open all year, but I agree you wouldn't want to risk the access road in snow and ice!

We're currently sitting on another site, watching it snow and wondering if we'll get off here tomorrow.....

Will have a look at Riverside Campsite at Cononley. Ta.

....yes, I've just bailed out of a meeting in Manchester when the snow started bucketing down - didn't fancy coming back over the pennines in a blizzard!

The Cononley suggestion was only slightly tongue in cheek - if I needed to get to Central Leeds I'd probably consider it.

The campsite access is pretty reasonable, and there are a couple of pubs in the village (with spare time,the walk along the canal - or even the train - into Skipton makes a good diversion).

The train fare isn't much more than Leeds buses, and at around 40 minutes journey time also isn't much slower!

http://www.365hq.com/riverside_campsite.htm

(The hardstandings are, AFAIR, where the line of cars are parked in the main picture).

Archived