Panel van dent repairs

Shaun

These days, it seems your average dent in a steel panel is just sucked back into place with the whiz-bang gear the pros have available to them. However, sometimes, it takes more than that and repairers might have to resort to ye olde days of filler and a decent paint job afterwards.

I have a couple of noticeable smallish dents I'd like to have fixed (but which can't simply be pulled back into place), but I envisage big bills. Has anyone with a panel van motorhome actually had this sort of thing done, who would care to share the cost and say whether it was worth it?

Shaun

Hiya Shaun

We don't have a panel van, but we have a car that we are returning at the end of a lease and we have a few scrapes on the bodywork. We got in touch with a company called Chips Away who are nationwide.

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services?gclid=CKanxOq7hq4CFUVTfAodQ1EJ2Q

The chap in our area came and gave a free estimate of work and you have the option of booking him there and then or thinking about it and never going back. They also repair Alloy Wheel rims. The first job is approx £70 including VAT - just as a guide.

Hope you get sorted.

Last year I had the misfortune to dent a customer's panel van camper, I took it to a local bodyshop with the customer (yes I owned up to it :-D ) who did a first class fill and repaint job for (from memory) around £100. First class invisible repair and a satisfied customer. Best bet is to approach a few local bodyshops and get some quotes, also ask locally for recommendations as they're not all as good as they should be.

D.

Guest JudgeMental

Just use Google and there are loads of these mobile chip repair type company's out there ..Some Halfords branches used to offer a service where you get an estimate from them and turn up on a particular day and chip repair/invisible repair van meets you. Halfords probably take a BIG cut so probably worth just finding your own company...

As long as rust protected I would let the dings mount up and get them sorted in the future...

I clipped the rear wheel arch on Roxie (on the church gatepost!!) about two weeks after taking delivery (my first and last ever brand-new vehicle too!).

An excellent local guy sorted it for £150 - so well that when I took the van "home" to Roy Wood Transits a year or so ago to see what it might be worth, even the dealer couldn't see where the repair had been done.

I should probably have said I've seen all the nationwide and even local ads for this kind of thing, but what I'm after is, from actual experience, how much it costs and how good the repair is. I now have a ballpark figure and likely quality of repair, from some of the replies so that's very helpful. Thank you.

As ever with these things they're too insignificant to put through the insurance, especially with the excess and premium load thereafter. However, I'm trying to keep my van as tidy as possible and I hate looking at dents anyway, so as it'll be coming directly out of my own pocket.

Shaun

Guest JudgeMental
As you go around you see these companies sorting out cars at car dealers....If you have a relationship with local car dealer why not ask them. Or look on Honest Johns website (Telegraph motoring expert) and you can ask on there as well...They all tend to use the same repair system so not much in it I would think....

Archived