Drive Away Awning

Tweaky

Anyone know the best way to erect a drive away awning?

I have just bought one from Towsure and their sales guy said to assemble the awning into my vans Omnistor awning first and then assemble the drive aways poles. Unsure about the procedure.

I have purchased additional guy ropes and hard standing pegs.

Cheers

Tweaky

I can only say I thread my joining skirt up to the awning which I extend 2 feet or so, then I erect my awning , but as my frame is sprung on hinges , I erect it at half height, when I am satisfied , I lift it up to full height which allows the legs to fully engage, then I walk the awning into position, so that the skirt is fairly taunt.I then wind in the omnistore . My awning is not light weight nylon, but a waterproof fabric. I have not tried the tunnel type, my awning is a chalet shape. I have tried passing guy lines over the motor van and drawing the skirt tight that way, but in each case I semi erect the awning and position it first. Hopes this makes sense. Best wishes . Bob :-S

Hi Tweaky, it would help if you could say which awning you have bought as there are lots of different ones.

We have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite XL and we first put the awning up fully, then move it near to the MH and slot the quick release strip (piping on both edges) into the front of the fixed awning after extending it by about 3 feet (just enough so we can reach it easily), we then slot the plastic 'figure of 8' part onto the strip and the piping on the 'tunnel' of the awning simultaneously. We then wind the fixed awning back in with tightens the tunnel to the side of the van, we then move the Movelite so that it is taut and peg it out.

Thanks BTB and Mel B.

My awning is the Towsure Touring XL. I will use your method Mel, I was worried that I may catch my MH when following the sales guy's instructions. Makes better sense to erect and then attach to the MH.

Just another quick question, when driving away do you wind the awning out of the MH and then pull the 'figure of 8' strip out by hand? -only the rep told me to get someone to hold hold the fig 8 strip and actually drive away (don't make sense to me and dangerous).

Also when you return, how do you make sure you get the MH to the same position? Is it essential to get the adjoining part of the drive away tight?

Appreciate your help

Tweaky

Hello again - I am not answering for Mel B -, but I use the same connectors ie figure 8 type etc. I have never driven the connection apart I always remove by hand - sounds a bit dodgy using the van. I also put a marker down to draw up to- a plastic tent peg for example - roughly in the middle of the offiside wheels. This more or less ensures you arrive back at the right spot, allowing the joining skirt to make up for any slight diffrrence. and re adjustment Bob

I always erect the tent away from the MH to avoid damaging it. Then I line the thing up so it misses doors/lockers. I also use my van awning to tension the link; you'll regret it when the wind blows if you don't. It's usefull to have matting for the floor. A mat in the link will help you find where you parked and another in the main area assists in setting out, if you cut it to the exact floor plan of your awning. A tie down strap is also worth having for restfully nights.

Usually the van needs levelling blocks , these can be left in place as guides to position the van

when recoupling and reversing into position. It is important to know how far back to reverse so that

you are lined up correctly with the awning . A short length of insulating tape on the van side is a

guide for the wife or partner to judge when in the correct position in relation to the awning..

Tweaky - 2012-02-08 8:03 PM

Thanks T8ley

Appreciate your help

Tweaky

Sorry - must have logged in incorrectly. Seem to have stumbled on the TeleTubbies forum by mistake :-D

Chris Bubbie

pepe63 - 2012-02-06 5:09 PM

Although we never used our Movelite in anger before we sold it on..I think a regular tip, is to peg down a length of rope or tape,running inline with the outer edge of the wheels,so that it gives you something clear to "line up you approach" with....

That's what we do .. I have some bright orange plastic tape stuff which I peg down where the centre of the front o/s wheel sits when wer'e lined up (I use the mushroom type awning matting pegs rather than tent pegs so that we don't damage the tyres if hubby runs over them by accident). By using the tape as a guide for the rear o/s wheel as hubby reverses in, I know that if he keeps it straight the front o/s wheel will be in the correct position - we do have the same track on our front and rear wheels which helps (later MHs on the Ford chassis have the wider rear track so this wouldn't really help!).

We also wind out the fixed awning a bit to be able to reach the figure of 8 to remove it BEFORE moving the van - the dealer who advised you to do it by driving away is bonkers ... if you happened to turn your steering wheel only a very small amount, you could easily do damage to your free standing awning.

Hope it is ok to butt in with a question on your thread Tweaky.

Hi,

We are looking for a lightweight drive away awning to use as a store and wet room.

Thing is I’ve measured from the floor to where the tunnel would attach to our built in wind out canopy and it is 8’-0” (2.44m).

My query is regarding the door opening and maybe fouling the tunnel roof.

Am I correct in assuming that the awnings meant for taller MH’s would mean the awning would need to be further from the MH and the slope of the tunnel roof would not be so steep and maybe not foul the door top.

Anybody got any thoughts or experience to pass on(?)

B-)

Hi Lancepar, welcome to the mad house. :-D

We have a Outdoor Revolution VRX (aka Square) free-standing awning which is really meant for a lower camper as the tunnel is only supposed to stretch to a height of 2.3m, however our Fiamma awning front 'slot' is 2.4m height and it fits nicely as you can see from the below pictures. The tunnel doesn't have a massive slope on it, so I think it will depend on the actual free-standing awning you are thinking of getting that will determine the slope and not necessarily that a bigger one will be any better than a smaller one.

I assume the below last picture is similar to your motorhome.

994620575_Awning1.JPG.a091eaeb4519feaa941eb5acc9e5b55a.JPG

1340207493_Awningattachment.JPG.88d8df06f3a7aa84ec413d89d06108ec.JPG

635996441_Awninginside.JPG.b43791754c217c5b3e38754174ab92bc.JPG

512474755_awningfitting.JPG.7b78fd2d3f35e01c7c509f451002ddd9.JPG

2138479460_awning1.JPG.1668ed0f2be5172c1adb8cba025e2b9c.JPG

cheyenne.jpg.33d75017969674f65f3ba9d0a92552ff.jpg

No, we've not had any problems, in fact the small square (VRX) awning (2.4m x 2.4m) actually came with an inner-tent type sleeping compartment so they had better be waterproof otherwise some campers would get a bit soggy!!!! :-S

They can look a bit flimsy but the material is very tough - Outdoor Revolution awnings are very well regarded for being well made and robust, with lots of tie down points etc, some other makes of drive away awnings are not as good and they are not necessarily the cheaper ones either!

We have now actually bought a larger version - the Outdoor Revolution Movelite XL - as we have 3 dogs now and like to put our bikes, dog beds etc in the awning, along with other stuff, plus we intend to use it for longer stays some of the time, so the little bit of additional space will make it a bit more comfortable, although the one we already had would be more than sufficient without all our 'junk'!!! *-) Of course, the square one is smaller so is easier to store when not in use, but as we have a garage on our van it isn't a major issue for us to take the larger one instead. B-)

I note that the material for your awning is 190T, which is the same as the Movelite so should prove as durable/water-tight.

We have whittled down our options to the Movelite XL - spooky.

Our model of that MH is the ’04/’05 edition but it’s a tad higher as it sits on the 18 Maxi chassis and yes we are both certified to drive it. As you can see the door top is close to the wind out canopy that’s why I think a less sloping tunnel roof would be a good idea.

Another thought I had was winding the canopy out fully and then attaching the drive-away awning, weather permitting, good or bad idea(?)

B-)

Thanks Mel B.

We only have a small motorhome (VW Trident) but think its brilliant. I use it as a normal vehicle at times and for a day out its great. The problem is staying away for a few days with my son, his partner and our lovely labrador. Then we will need the awning and as its not been too good weather wise we haven't tried it yet. This and not having good inf from the supplier made me a little concerned. Also I am relatively new to motorhoming and the learning curve is huge.

Thanks for your help-that goes to everyone-happy days

Tweaky

lancepar - 2012-02-19 10:02 PM

Our model of that MH is the ’04/’05 edition but it’s a tad higher as it sits on the 18 Maxi chassis and yes we are both certified to drive it. As you can see the door top is close to the wind out canopy that’s why I think a less sloping tunnel roof would be a good idea.

Another thought I had was winding the canopy out fully and then attaching the drive-away awning, weather permitting, good or bad idea(?)

B-)

There are a couple on the 'Buy and Sell' section of the website at the moment, and quite a few on Ebay

Mel B - 2012-02-21 9:44 PM

lancepar - 2012-02-19 10:02 PM

B-)

There are a couple on the 'Buy and Sell' section of the website at the moment, and quite a few on Ebay

Thanks Mel B. Just had a look in the Buy and Sell section-first time I have looked at the items for sale,

Tweaky]

Archived