Channel Ferries - Cheaper to book with trailer????

sshortcircuit

Did a costing with DFDS for this years crossing. If my MH height is under 2.4m cost is £68, if over it is £116. My Kontiki is 2.89m which means it is out by about 2 feet . When I board there is always miles of headroom, so what's height got to do with it?

If I book for a MH towing a trailer the cost is £98 ?????

How should I book?

sshortcircuit - 2012-02-05 11:16 PM

Did a costing with DFDS for this years crossing. If my MH height is under 2.4m cost is £68, if over it is £116. My Kontiki is 2.89m which means it is out by about 2 feet . When I board there is always miles of headroom, so what's height got to do with it?

If I book for a MH towing a trailer the cost is £98 ?????

How should I book?

If you are a member of the Caravan Club book through them-it's much cheaper. Our van is 3m x 7m with a 2m x 4m trailer and it was £68 return. I believe this offer has finished now but they have offers of £39 each way solo van in magazine this month

Mike

sshortcircuit - 2012-02-05 11:16 PM

You have been fortunate with height, you could end up in one of the reduced height sections. Depending on the ship, there are sometimes ramps leading to a mezzanine deck and if sent there, you would be in trouble. Agreed that often there is no problem, but you cannot be 100% certain of this every time.

If you are a member of the Caravan Club book through them-it's much cheaper. Our van is 3m x 7m with a 2m x 4m trailer and it was £68 return. I believe this offer has finished now but they have offers of £39 each way solo van in magazine this month

Mike

Can't book over the CC web for motorhome and trailer it won't accept it. And apparently soon they will only accept bookings over the web not on the phone (?)

Hopesy - 2012-02-06 6:41 PM

Can't book over the CC web for motorhome and trailer it won't accept it. And apparently soon they will only accept bookings over the web not on the phone (?)

Will they still charge £20 for each amendment? >:-)

Hopesy - 2012-02-06 6:41 PM

Mike

Hi

You're right you can't book with a trailer on the website. All you have to do is ring them on the number on the website-they will book you and it takes about 10 minutes. They quote you a price first so you don't have to worry about that.

Mike

Archived