Adaptor (Electricity) for Switzerland?

Clementine

Clementine - 2012-02-06 12:48 PM

I have tried the search facility but could not find anything and I know somebody on this forum will have the answer. Can we use the "french" adaptor to plug in on a Swiss Campsite.

Thank you in advance.

We have used a lot of Swiss sites and either the blue 3 pin or French two pin have always worked

Swiss campsites use a variety of outlets - most of the sites I've visited have had standard 16 amp (blue) outlets, with a small number having Schuko (French/German adapter) outlets.

I have, however, come up against at least one site which had the native (to Switzerland only)

"Type J" (lozenge shaped) outlets which are used for general domestic sockets. As this type of outlet is native only to Switzerland, the sites will normally loan (or in the worst case, hire) you an adapter to a 16 amp or Schuko lead.

Thank you to everybody for your replies.

Barry, I just picked myself up from the floor, I was laughing so much reading your blog.

Especially the Swiss bits (don't tell anybody, but I am Swiss)**

You are a very gifted, amusing writer!

I learned a few things, so it will be Lake Titisee in the Schwarzwald on the way home, we will be going to find the largest cuckoo clock.

:-D I am still laughing.

**We have been in Switzerland camping before but a long time ago, before digital cameras, we have a photo of all the "warning notices" on one campsite, do not play football, do not bathe in the see, silence after 10 o'clock etc. The campsite warden came running when we were parking our van saying: "You can't take up that much space, this is not Canada, you know?"

Clementine - 2012-02-07 4:56 PM

Thank you to everybody for your replies.

Barry, I just picked myself up from the floor, I was laughing so much reading your blog.

Especially the Swiss bits (don't tell anybody, but I am Swiss)**

You are a very gifted, amusing writer!

I learned a few things, so it will be Lake Titisee in the Schwarzwald on the way home, we will be going to find the largest cuckoo clock.

:-D I am still laughing.

**We have been in Switzerland camping before but a long time ago, before digital cameras, we have a photo of all the "warning notices" on one campsite, do not play football, do not bathe in the see, silence after 10 o'clock etc. The campsite warden came running when we were parking our van saying: "You can't take up that much space, this is not Canada, you know?"

Oh Dear!

I knew it wouldnt be long before somebody from one of the countrys Ive blabbed on about visitied our blog! Luckily at the bottom of said Summer 2011 blog I put the following disclaimer.

"We would like to say that no Foreigners were harmed in the course of this adventure. We would like to say it but we can’t be sure. All the characters and events in this story including Mrs D are real and she is here of her own free will despite claims from her family that I kidnapped her. Despite the constant referrals to Leffe Beer throughout this blog we have no association with InBev Belgium who produce this wonderful product but are looking for sponsors for the next adventure which will be huge! Belgium is of course a wonderful country and our comments about its citizens are purely in jest for comic effect as we know how they like a joke.

Your statutory rights are not affected"

Glad you found it funny!

Cheers

Barry

We had the same problem stopping with our family in their chalet. So on the next visit I took a multiway socket block with a cable attached and then connected it to one of their plugs. The international adaptors we had were correct for the pins but would not enter into the shaped socket!

All the sites we used had the standard 16 Amp blue connectors.

Archived