What's the risk?

martin h

My wife and I are planning a few days away next weekend (Saturday to Wednesday) and the forecast looks around -5/6 at night. We have a 2006 Autotrail Dakota which I think has an exposed waste tank. Any words of wisdom around what might freeze and are there any exposed pipes?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

When the weather's like it has been,we leave our's fully drained down and just use seperate water containers(for drinking and loo flushing)and just make use of the site facilities for showers etc...

..I suppose others probably do but personally,I don't think it's worth risking using an "unwinterized"(is that a word?) water system this time of year..

Martin, we were away rallying at weekend with our Auto-trail and although the temperature was below freezing and our water tank was full we didn't have a problem every thing worked well. We kept the heating on all the time, the fridge was on and the water heater was kept on low as well. The only problem we had was getting off the site as there had been a heavy fall of snow in the Bolton area over the weekend but we all helped one another to get off. We used more gas than normal but that was to be expected.

Guest JudgeMental
Had planned to do something as well as its half term and wife of work, but seeing as its looking pretty miserable probably not going to bother.....

Some good tips already given. I have found Auto Trails are fine down to about -7C. The most vulnerable areas are where water pipes enter and leave the van. That little area lacks any lagging. I have also had problems with the water tank filler freezing because of an "S" bend in it. Water sits in the bottom of the "S," freezes and stops you topping up and it is very difficult to defrost. This is probably model dependent. I usually manage to defrost smaller diameter pipes by blowing hot air on the more exposed areas with a hair dryer.

peedee

We have wild camped down to -18 and frequently well below zero with no problems in our Kontiki and we have an external waste tank. Just leave it open. A couple of times the water at the bottom of the sink waste pipe has got trapped and frozen but a bit of hot water soon shifts it.

I remember being on a CL however last winter where there was a very nice Autotrail behind us and his fresh tank froze! No idea why as I assume they are all inside.

michele - 2012-02-06 8:40 PM

Leave your handbreak off , not sure if its a myth but we were told to do that up the French Alps .

Thats because your English, the advice to other EU m/homers is to leave thehandbreak off AND chock the wheels :D

(Its an Alp joke)

Rgds

Put a small amount of salt down the plughole each night which should prevent the wast pipes from freezing. Lag the short pipe from the tank to where it goes into the van. Leave the waste drain open (Drain into bucket or similar). Keep the heating on low.

Works for me -8 to -10 no problem!

:-)

when we were in France ln January 2 years ago , only near St Omer it was -10c and in the morning are handbreak was frozen on , also the regulator to the gaslow system was frozen ( noticed moisture in the dial ) so no gas , we relied on our erberspacher heating , had to start generator and use exhaust to heat up regulator so gas flow could be released ,, happy camping

Just back from a week at Sandy Balls including the 2 really cold nights. We did suffer a freeze up despite heating being on all the time - as usual it's the pipe from the external fresh into the van that blocks.

In weather like this you get to know where the draughts are in your van!!

Archived