Le Tour 2012

starvin marvin

Received an e-mail today from a m/h friend in Calpe who was sitting in the Diamante Beach Hotel, as we m'homers do, having a drink, and the Astana team are there!! and sitting across from our friend is Alexander Vinokourov!!! how cool is that?

So I've started something I've mean to do for weeks, I've started planning our trip to try and pull in a couple of the high mountain stages on this years Tour. I really fancy the stage from Limoux to Foix stage 14 plus another one which is where the question comes in.

The other stage I fancy is stage 11 Albertville - La Toussuire - Les Sybelles and this is the area I don't know. Any tips for a few days in this area before we have to get positioned for the arrival of the tour? The rub will come with if we can get from stage 11 to 14 in enough time to get positioned, we will have to do the trip in a day. If not then it will have to be the final high stage 15.

Many thanks

Hi Tony

Contado obviously conspicuious by his absence then.

My guess is that you may find it difficult to arrive at Stage 14 in time to get a viewing spot.

As an option Stage 16 on 18th July (Pau to Bagneres du Luchon) would give you the time needed to secure a spot & it includes the classic Col de Tourmalet, plus the Aubisque, the Aspin and the Peyresourde!

It's also the last Mountain stage, so could be the deciding day.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has ruled Alberto Contador should serve a two-year ban following his positive test for clenbuterol at the 2010 Tour de France.

CAS has upheld the UCI [union Cycliste Internationale] and WADA's [World Anti-Doping Agency] appeal against the Spanish Cycling Federation's decision not to ban Contador after he claimed the substance came from contaminated Spanish beef.

The 29-year-old Spaniard has been stripped of his 2010 Tour de France title and the 2011 Giro d'Italia. Contador will be free to race again from 6th August 2012: the CAS ruling states his ban officially started on 25th January 2011, but he was provisionally banned for almost six months before that.

A UCI statement released on Monday read: " ... the UCI has not derived a sense of satisfaction from the CAS ruling, but rather welcomes the news as the end of a long-running affair that has been extremely painful for cycling."

Contador was riding for Astana alongside Lance Armstrong when he won the 2010 Tour. Andy Schleck, then riding for Saxo-Bank, finished second after a controversial event, and will now be given the official title.

Fran Contador, the cyclist's brother and agent, has reportedly told a Spanish radio station that he will continue racing, despite a previous claim that he would retire from the sport should he be found guilty.

Meanwhile, in a statement released by his current team RadioShack Nissan Trek, Andy Schleck said:

"There is no reason to be happy now. First of all I feel sad for Alberto. I always believed in his innocence. This is just a very sad day for cycling. The only positive news is that there is a verdict after 566 days of uncertainty. We can finally move on."

News of Contador's positive test first emerged in September 2010. In January 2011, the Spanish Cycling Federation announced their decision not to suspend him, which prompted the joint UCI/WADA appeal to CAS. CAS heard the case in November 2011 and their decision was made public today, Monday 6th February 2012.

The UCI statement continued: "The UCI acknowledges the decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to impose a suspension of 2 years on the rider Alberto Contador following the UCI’s appeal, brought in conjunction with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), in the case concerning the Spanish cyclist.

"In rejecting the defence argument, in particular that the presence of clenbuterol in Alberto Contador's urine sample came from the consumption of contaminated meat, today's ruling confirms the UCI's position."

I guess this isnt really helping the original poster with travel plans

----- *-)

We're planning a clockwise trip ourselves, hoping to catch stages 12 16 & 18 (as well as take in some scenery, lie on a beach somewhere, and visit relatives).

Then back to England in time to pitch up on a CS in Surrey, and see the Olympic Road Race pass near Hampton Court (both outwards and inwards).

Think that'll be quite enough bikes for one summer!

starvin marvin - 2012-02-06 9:58 PM

Received an e-mail today from a m/h friend in Calpe who was sitting in the Diamante Beach Hotel, as we m'homers do, having a drink, and the Astana team are there!! and sitting across from our friend is Alexander Vinokourov!!! how cool is that?

So I've started something I've mean to do for weeks, I've started planning our trip to try and pull in a couple of the high mountain stages on this years Tour. I really fancy the stage from Limoux to Foix stage 14 plus another one which is where the question comes in.

The other stage I fancy is stage 11 Albertville - La Toussuire - Les Sybelles and this is the area I don't know. Any tips for a few days in this area before we have to get positioned for the arrival of the tour? The rub will come with if we can get from stage 11 to 14 in enough time to get positioned, we will have to do the trip in a day. If not then it will have to be the final high stage 15.

Many thanks

Not sure which direction you approach from but i know the Madelaine is on stage 11. You could have a great drive from Albertville, Bourge st Maurice then through Val d'Isere over the L,Iseran, at over 2700mtrs a fantastic drive. Over this visit village of Bonneval sur Arc then Madelaine. Mont Cenis is not far away, great spot with really nice walks, plenty of spots to stay here. Nice site at Bourg called LeVersoyen and one at Lansvillard called Camping Caravaneige. At Albertville the old town called Conflans, high above Abertville and signposted is well worth a visit

rupert123 - 2012-02-07 5:52 PM

starvin marvin - 2012-02-06 9:58 PM

Many thanks

Not sure which direction you approach from but i know the Madelaine is on stage 11. You could have a great drive from Albertville, Bourge st Maurice then through Val d'Isere over the L,Iseran, at over 2700mtrs a fantastic drive. Over this visit village of Bonneval sur Arc then Madelaine. Mont Cenis is not far away, great spot with really nice walks, plenty of spots to stay here. Nice site at Bourg called LeVersoyen and one at Lansvillard called Camping Caravaneige. At Albertville the old town called Conflans, high above Abertville and signposted is well worth a visit

Many thanks for reply, just the kind of pointers I was looking for. If anyone else has a tip or two for that area please let me know. Once again, thanks in anticipation.

Best stage I ever saw was the start at Portsmouth in 94. You could wander around and watch the technicians setting up the bikes and the riders warming up. Went to a start in France a few years back and everything was hidden in the "village" and access was for invited guests only. Anyone know if it's still possible to watch the pre-start preparations at any of the stages?

By the way, for anyone that hasn't been to a stage, you'll be amazed at how fast they go past, so try to find a place to watch that gives you a good view up/down the road; and the publicity caravan that preceeds the race is great fun!

Mickt - 2012-02-08 10:18 AM

Dont,t forget closer to home the tour on July 3 starts at Orchies end at Boulogne, July 4 starts Abbeville

ends Rouen. The finish in Boulogne is at the top of a long drag, not a hill for them.

Oh thats nice I have not seen the map yet might just make that it would be the first time ever . excited or what ,maybe its just Chris Harmons voice :D

michele - 2012-02-08 10:48 AM

Mickt - 2012-02-08 10:18 AM

Dont,t forget closer to home the tour on July 3 starts at Orchies end at Boulogne, July 4 starts Abbeville

ends Rouen. The finish in Boulogne is at the top of a long drag, not a hill for them.

Oh thats nice I have not seen the map yet might just make that it would be the first time ever . excited or what ,maybe its just Chris Harmons voice :D

here's the official site, just scroll down for the list of Stages.

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

probably innocent, taking the brunt of the hassle with drugs in cycling,

apparently the case against Armstrong has been quietly dropped

trouble is it must be so tempting to take the drugs just looking at Alpe d'Huez makes me go limp, and some of the drugs are so difficult to spot

as for commentators it's just not the same without Duffers - matchless :D :D

I never really knew about Lance , just a slight rumour and I didnt pick up on it .

Dropped you say umh what that all about seems like one rule for one unless its because he has retired now ?.

I love HD for this we cantget enough of it love watching even the parrott whistle the tune come on get a Wiggle on hurry up Sidi adverts . :D its all then bums .

Archived