Do Windscreen Covers really work?

Dimples

Have and carry interanl and exteranal type.

Internals held up by umpteen suckers are a pain to fit, Insulataion ? Do not prevent condensation.

Externals take less than 2 minutes to fit /remove. No internal condensation. Probably make a couple of degrees C difference in van internal temp. Ours are old and get a little waterlogged in rain. I just bag them and dump in shower

Usage all year round is 95% externals.

Have used internals and externals but find that internals are short and have peep holes down both sides.

the screen covers are not long enough and they turn in on the ends.

I thought that it was a defective screen cover and tried others but they are all the same.

I have got Taylormade externals now and they are great quality and fit a treet.

Mike.

We have a Silver Screen Winter external cover and a summer weight external cover we have had these from 2000 we only use the winter one at home as it is a bit bulky for carrying in a PVC we have used the summer lightweight one on occasion when needed.

When we changed to a Romahome Dimension it had a Dometic Internal Windscreen Roller blind we were apprehensive of this fitted above the dashboard at first but the fact that it can be lifted and fitted in seconds be it for a sun blind,privacy or nightime use has left us very impressed with it and we use this all the time its not very good for condensation though

Alf

Good external screens are superb, internals are just not up to the jobs of either preventing condensation or preventing heat loss - it's really that simple.

Ask yourself, do you want condensation eliminated or are you happy for it to run down the back of dashboard?

The problem of storing wet external screens isn't really a problem at all, it's what bin bags were made for..

We have four different windscreen covers.

External insulated winter - excellent for reduced condensation.

Internal insulated winter - together with external when very cold; for when weather is truly horrendous or mid season camping.

External solar summer - shades cab but gives vision outwards. Need curtain when light on.

Internal stiff Fiamma - shades cab - used when SHOPPING to keep cab cool, also car shades cut to fit side windows - essential in Italy in August.

We mix and match according to when and where we are going.

Joyce

I have to own up to having thee sets:-

Long line Taylormade these cover the air intakes use them at home when the van is not in use, getting a bit tatty now.

A Silver Products one with solar panel for autumn, winter touring.,

A Silver Screens Solar one for summer touring.

And the van is fitted with Remis blinds.

We have several sets of screens too:

An older Taylormade padded external set which we've had for yonks - I think they were the ones we bought to use when we bought our Swift Suntor in 2001! I've adapted them a couple of times so they would fit our previous and current Ford based motorhomes. We use at home in winter when the van is on the drive as it faces north and gets the full force of the weather from the fields opposite us.

A newer Taylormade padded external set (bought second hand) which we use when we're away in cooler weather (they're the 'bling' gold ones ... :$ ).

An internal padded set which came with the van that we use in summer to keep the van cool during the day, and block out the light at night if it's a bit cool, if not we just use our cab curtains.

I made a thinner set of internal ones from some 'car sunshade' type ones that we picked up cheap in France many years ago. They have silver inner and outer shells with a little bit of 'honeycomb' between them - we use them in summer if we're just popping out of the van during the day for some shopping and want to keep it cool whilst the dogs are left in it; they also take up much less space.

In addition to the front cab screen covers, I've also used another of these 'sunshades' to make sections that fit between the window and the blind on the side windows so that in winter we can add some more insulation - useful as we have a window at both ends of the fixed bed. I did it originally because our previous Rimor had a window which ran the full width of the rear of the van next to where I slept and by heck was it chilly - the additional 'screen' insulation made quite a difference.

I've also bought an 'oddment/surplus' A-class side screen cover form one of the MH shows last year and have altered it to make internal padded covers for the Heki rooflight and the 2 other roof vents to use in winter.

Yes, they do work, and over the years have had various sorts, and on the previous motorhome (Rapido) we had an internal set, plus an uninsulated outside cover. These were used according to weather conditions, but when we sold that motorhome and bought the Burstner, it came ready fitted as standard with pleated blinds internally. We were prepared to be disappointed by these, but find them very good.

They are very useful to pull across simply when parking for shopping etc, and for most general use find them more than adequate with very little windscreen condensation.

In reallycold weather, we supplement these with an external one adapted from the earlier sets- the single skin set has been adapted to fit the new shaped FIAT cab, and also the front windscreen part has been adpated to velcro the old internal inuslated one underneath it, so we now have an insulated one outside when needed.

For summer use when on sites for extended stays in very hot/sunny climate (ie south of France usually!) we use the single skin external one plus the internal blinds, and find this keeps the cab much cooler.

It does minimise the amount of space taken up when not in use.

I've got external and internal screens.

The internals are Fiammas and are now unused in the shed.

The suction cups were useless and the blinds kept falling down.

Condensation was a problem.

I now use external screens bought from Silverscreens.

They are great, no condensation and keep the cab area warn.

I leave the screens up all the time and don't bother with the cab

curtains making the front lounge seem even bigger at night.

Our 155 is very light inside with the screens in place due to large

side windows and the large roof light in the lounge.

Andy

Archived