Why would you 'leave in a hurry'?

RogerC

I noticed on threads about the pros and cons of external screens that the 'leave in a hurry' thing seems to crop up as a reason not to use external screens.

I'm at loss as to why anyone would need to leave in such a hurry?  Given that these covers take a couple of minutes to remove surely it makes little difference unless you always make ready to leave every night you still have to 'make ready' inside so I just don't get it.

Can any more 'experienced' owners enlighten me?  To those with practical experience your comments would be appreciated.

Guest pelmetman

Its about taking sensible precautions whilst wild camping or on a empty and isolated Aire ;-)

We have an external Silver screen which we don't use if in the above situation and just pull the cab curtains instead ..............Why?..........because you need to exit the van to remove an external screen ;-)

Please don't assume that using Aires is a gamble and you have to be prepared to flee............its about being sensible and so far we have never needed to flee whilst using an Aire :D................Although we were once on a municipal campsite on the French/Belgium border when a cops and robbers shoot out took place 8-)

You could argue that leaving anything outside that requires you to get out of the van in an emergency is not a good idea. You could also argue that it shouldnt just apply to wild camping but Aires and sites as well. If I was a mad axeman I might well pick on a secluded wild camper but I wouldnt be bothered about the invisible security force shield that campsites are supposed to have around them either!

When we were attacked by the Stellplatz murderer (thats what I labled him) last summer I made the mistake of parking the van forwards bumper to a tree with the flipping scooter parked directly behind the van. So I had a choice of either knocking the tree down or reversing over the bike so we couldnt drive away. Thankfully we lived to tell the tale. (see blog for details)

RogerC - 2012-02-07 7:01 PMI noticed on threads about the pros and cons of external screens that the 'leave in a hurry' thing seems to crop up as a reason not to use external screens.

I'm at loss as to why anyone would need to leave in such a hurry? 

The only time I leave in a hurry is to catch an early morning ferry - but then I would've taken the screens down the night before.I suppose the only other time it might happen is if you are suddenly 'surrounded' by anti-social neighbours. ;-)

The terms is indeed in reference to wild camping and/or staying on some aires - not having the external screens on makes it quicker/easier to move the van:

- a problem with 'the neighbours' (noise etc)

- a medical emergency

- move the van out of 'danger' (see below)

On aires especially vans park much closer than on a campsite and there may be an occasion where you need to move your van out of danger - for example if one of the others has a fire (rare, but I would imagine does happen sometimes) you'd want to be able to move quick.

pelmetman - 2012-02-07 7:17 PM

Its about taking sensible precautions whilst wild camping or on a empty and isolated Aire ;-)

We have an external Silver screen which we don't use if in the above situation and just pull the cab curtains instead ..............Why?..........because you need to exit the van to remove an external screen ;-)

Please don't assume that using Aires is a gamble and you have to be prepared to flee............its about being sensible and so far we have never needed to flee whilst using an Aire :D................Although we were once on a municipal campsite on the French/Belgium border when a cops and robbers shoot out took place 8-)

Does anyone make exterior screencovers made of 'Bulletproof teflon' ?? 8-) Ray

RogerC - 2012-02-07 7:01 PMI noticed on threads about the pros and cons of external screens that the 'leave in a hurry' thing seems to crop up as a reason not to use external screens.

I'm at loss as to why anyone would need to leave in such a hurry?  Given that these covers take a couple of minutes to remove surely it makes little difference unless you always make ready to leave every night you still have to 'make ready' inside so I just don't get it.

Can any more 'experienced' owners enlighten me?  To those with practical experience your comments would be appreciated.

To avoid paying the farmer when he calls at 08.00 to collect his CL site fee's ????? 8-) 8-) 8-) Ray

If things are so desperate that you need to leave that quickly wind down the cab windows pull the top half down and drive away. I presume you are happy to leave levelling ramps, water buckets, outside mats and possibly your bikes behind.

If I worried about such a situation I would give up motorhoming altogether and stay in bed at home. But I would have to sleep with my clothes on and a rope ladder ready to escape incase someone broke in. :-D (!) >:-)

On an aire ( de cc Naussac ?) Saturday night, great location overlooking a reservoir.

The building 150 yards away turned out to be a night club that opened at 01.00hrs. Patrons arrived by the coach load, Scores of cars parked and disgorged their drunken pasengers . One group flopped down to discuss the meaning of life close alongside us. With no prospect of sleep it was time to move

By and large they were happy drunks but after a decade or three as a copper I knew how quickly that could change. Its amazing how fast you can whip of a set of outside screens. I think we were about the 5th van mobile.

To keep things in proportion its the first time we have moved in over a dozen years and hundreds of nights on aires.

We found a lovely spot about 3 years ago by the Humber quiet car park well out of the way.

Put screens on, up chocks and sat having some late tea.

Then they arrived, one at a time, head lights on and revving the heck out their cars.

We last about half hour till they had been back 3 times each time more of them around 10 in the end.

We threw teenage son out to get screens and chocks on one of their races to next car park.

Since then we have always used inners screens and reversed up chocks just incase :-D :-D

If an Aire that is in a handy or beautiful spot is empty we usually wonder why

Mandy

Mandy&Andy - 2012-02-08 6:40 AM

We found a lovely spot about 3 years ago by the Humber quiet car park well out of the way.

Put screens on, up chocks and sat having some late tea.

Then they arrived, one at a time, head lights on and revving the heck out their cars.

We last about half hour till they had been back 3 times each time more of them around 10 in the end.

We threw teenage son out to get screens and chocks on one of their races to next car park.

Since then we have always used inners screens and reversed up chocks just incase :-D :-D

If an Aire that is in a handy or beautiful spot is empty we usually wonder why

Mandy

The boy racer element does seem to be a British thing. If we wild camp I try to avoid any car park that looks like it could be used for doughnuts late at night and tend to seek out small rural out of the way places.

I have never seen this in mainland Europe apart from one dreadful night where we made a huge Error last summer where we booked onto a Yelloh Village campsite at Cap d' Agde in the Med in France. It was dreadful and on the second night a whole party of boy racers arrived to stay on the site and proceeded to keep everyone awake all night revving engines and driving around the site and surrounding roads. Nobody did anything. We left and complained in the morning but I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. Couldnt wait to find a quiet out of the way Aire away from the coast to be honest.

pelmetman - 2012-02-07 9:41 PM

rupert123 - 2012-02-07 9:38 PM

Very tempting to reply to this thread but will resist the temptation. :D

Go on ;-)

Better not Dave I have upset free loaders, sorry sorry, free campers in the past, they are very sensitive souls.

Guest 1footinthegrave
You need to get up to date Henry, nearly all Aires are making a charge now, in some cases as much as formal sites, I guess all the freeloaders like me will soon give up the M/home scene and go back to Sun £9.50 holidays. :D

Re Revving Cars !!! --- ""Drifted a bit from the original theme."" --- However

When we were on a site (not in the UK) a clown kept spinning his wheels on the gravel and would not stop when asked to do so, even though it was pointed out that it put children in danger of being hit with the gravel.

Solution:- A couple of potatoes stuffed well into his cars exhaust. The car would not start next day and when we left the site - said racer had the cylinder head removed from his engine. Pays Not to upset some people.

When wild camping or staying on an aire, we prepare the van for immediate departure last thing before retiring to bad. Nothing left outside, apart from perhaps the dog lead hanging on the door handle (no actual dog, by the way). We park so it's possible to drive away without any complex manouvering or reversing. To date we've also avoided using ramps when wild camping - doesn't really matter if the van isn't absolutely level.

A couple of years ago, staying over in Dorset, at about 2am a boy-racer with a particularly raucous exhaust parked close to us with his headlights blazing full on the side of our van and he sat revving his engine loudly - presumably to make sure we were well and truly disturbed. After about five minutes of this, I was in the driving seat, started the engine, switched on the headlights ready to drive off. At which point the car moved on.

Doesn't in any way put us off wild camping on occasion - but just seems sensible to 'be prepared' (from my scouting days) :-)

'Like' the dog lead Mike. Anyone got other, similar securty ideas?

I thought you were not supposed to leave anything outside on an aire. So, no flight prep then? You're not camping, just parking. That's why the locals park right next to you on an otherwise empty aire, to get maximum numbers on.

As for wild camping, I wouldn't leave anything outside that wasn't screwed down. But then, we don't do much; I haven't got a big enough underpants drawer.

Archived