Why would you 'leave in a hurry'?

RogerC

Guest pelmetman
T8LEY - 2012-02-09 1:01 PM

'Like' the dog lead Mike. Anyone got other, similar securty ideas?

I thought you were not supposed to leave anything outside on an aire. So, no flight prep then? You're not camping, just parking. That's why the locals park right next to you on an otherwise empty aire, to get maximum numbers on.

As for wild camping, I wouldn't leave anything outside that wasn't screwed down. But then, we don't do much; I haven't got a big enough underpants drawer.

We leave Troys bright yellow dog bowl outside ;-)

Where are you now Trevor?

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-08 7:14 PM

You need to get up to date Henry, nearly all Aires are making a charge now, in some cases as much as formal sites, I guess all the freeloaders like me will soon give up the M/home scene and go back to Sun £9.50 holidays. :D

Not talking about aires Mike, we use them when they satisfy our requirements.

T8LEY - 2012-02-09 1:01 PM

'Like' the dog lead Mike. Anyone got other, similar securty ideas?

When I posted about our Stellplatz Murderer on MHF last summer there was talk of weapons and all sorts on board. I think there was even mention of an AK47!

Not sure if I am allowed to link but here goes http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-109052-stellplatz-terror.html

I bought a huge german sausage to despatch any would be attackers but ended up frying it up in the Swiss Alps with some Eggs and chips. I figured we were safe once in Switzerland as anyone caught even speeding is quickly disposed of.

I've mentioned it before on the forum, but on two occasions I've been directed into a security shed at Portsmouth ferry docks by officers, just before boarding the ferry to Bilbao.

They asked permission and then entered the motorhome and searched it. When I asked what exactly they were looking for, they asked me if I was carrying any offensive weapons.

They were not interested in anything else. I assume that as I am a man travelling alone, they think I will probably be 'tooled up'. Had I had something useful to protect myself, they would have disarmed me before letting me continue.

I always carry a large rounders bat and ball in case any fellow campers fancy a game. They didn't actually spot that.

'sorry to be so boringly realistic, but we, and other campers on the site, spent one night in the Camargue on stand-by to evacuate when the floods came. In our case we had had a warning to take in all awnings and general clutter, but would have had to get the drop-down bed up before driving off. Luckily the Cevannes didn't send down enough water to make our local river flood.

We Always Use our external screens , but leave it till late in the evening to put them on, by this time I have established if the area is suitable or not for sleeping in, I have a legal tool which could be used in any Emergency, the Windscreen breaker/seat belt cutter tool, it has a Tungsten Pointed double head, I,m sure a whack from that would deter almost anyone . never had reason to try it. but would not hesitate if the occasion occurred.

Guest pelmetman
Corky 8 - 2012-02-10 6:47 PM

. never had reason to try it. but would not hesitate if the occasion occurred.

Looking at your avatar Corky I thought you'd tried it on yourself :D

jonmar - 2012-02-10 3:54 PM

'sorry to be so boringly realistic, but we, and other campers on the site, spent one night in the Camargue on stand-by to evacuate when the floods came. In our case we had had a warning to take in all awnings and general clutter, but would have had to get the drop-down bed up before driving off. Luckily the Cevannes didn't send down enough water to make our local river flood.

As an aside, this reminds me of the first time we went to Ireland, in 2004, and stayed at a nice friendly 'CL' type campsite next to the river ... at the time it had been raining heavily for days and the owner said to us "If you see the field on the other side of the river flooding you have 2 hours to move"!!! 8-)

Archived