a trip to lake maggiore Italy

exeterchiefs

I am just starting to plan a trip to Italy and have heard that toll costs through France are expensive would anybody Know if that is correct?

Now I have started there are loads of questions, should I go through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland?

Any help or pointers would be helpful PLEASE.

For added interest this is the first chat / forum site I have been on!

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

You have probably due to inexperience, posted your first thread in this the nutters section of the forum

you might get a better response if you post thread over on main "motorhome matters" section :D

Toll roads in France are costly but you don't need to use toll roads at all as it is very easy to get around on  normal N roads, easier still if you have a Sat, Nav as there is a facility on them to keep your route off toll roads, travel through Belgium and Germany too is easy as no toll roads there .

Guest JudgeMental

Not all French motorways are toll...

You have 2 options:

France or Belgium to Luxembourg: then Germany, Austria then Italy

OR

France or Belgium to Luxembourg: down through west side of France into Switzerland then Italy (this probably most straightforward route, and only 2 small toll charges near Strasbourg if in a rush)

You will pay tolls in Italy but these are reasonably priced, and a vignette will be required for Switzerland (35€ I think)

Do you only have a limited amount of time? If not then amble through France, take advantage of their wonderful Aires system the go via Switzerland but spend some time there as Switzerland is stunning.

Great Sosta (Motorhome parking) in Cannobio on Maggiore about €10 a night I think.

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2012-02-08 9:15 PM

Not all French motorways are toll...

You have 2 options:

Northern France via Lille or Belgium to Luxembourg: then Germany, Austria then Italy

OR

Northern France via Lille or Belgium to Luxembourg: down through EAST side of France into Switzerland then Italy (this probably most straightforward route, and only 2 small toll charges near Strasbourg if in a rush)

You will pay tolls in Italy but these are reasonably priced, and a vignette will be required for Switzerland (35€ I think) If over 3500kg will it will be more expensive through Switzerland, but there is a non motorway route through Austria.....

sorry some mistakes above so have edited it..... *-)

Archived