newbie going on a grand tour, looking for motorhome recommendations (please!)

BigManStraker

JudgeMental - 2012-02-09 12:47 PM

Just saw this on ebay......looks pretty genuine to me and 21k. It was the first resonable looking van I came across, i bet there are loads more

all the long term touring additions you need, with van blitz security (very important) dead locks, 2 solar panels (for long term beach camping:-D) refillable gas tanks, twin leisure batteries etc....etc...

.http://www.keyhambooks.freeserve.co.uk/hymermainpage.htm

Eddie that looks an excellent van, my only concern with it would be with the payload on 3.5t I would not even ask if it was a 3.8t but fully winterised with a double floor can't give you much payload, can it?

Dave

I agree with Judge. I think you do need to factor in a good wedge for extras and repairs. nearly four years ago we ahd a budget of £25K and I spent well under that on the van. I bought private and saved I reckon nearly £5K on what the same vans were going for on dealer forecourts.

I added a few extras. Scooter and rack, Gaslow, TV and Satellite. Other little extras add up. Laptops, wifi antennas, chargers, even kitchen equipment etc etc etc. Folding bike (I even bought a roll up boat and outboard which proved too awkward and heavy).

There is alwaysy the odd unexpected expense. We had to have a new rear axle at £2600 but apart from that the van has been perfect for us and after nearly four years I doubt it has depreciated that much.

Our longest trip was five months last summer. All in our blog below

Guest JudgeMental
nowtelse2do - 2012-02-09 9:55 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-02-09 12:47 PM

Just saw this on ebay......looks pretty genuine to me and 21k. It was the first resonable looking van I came across, i bet there are loads more

all the long term touring additions you need, with van blitz security (very important) dead locks, 2 solar panels (for long term beach camping:-D) refillable gas tanks, twin leisure batteries etc....etc...

.http://www.keyhambooks.freeserve.co.uk/hymermainpage.htm

Eddie that looks an excellent van, my only concern with it would be with the payload on 3.5t I would not even ask if it was a 3.8t but fully winterised with a double floor can't give you much payload, can it?

Dave

have had a quick look and payload about 450KG @ 3500kg. For 2 people I think this is manageable. we coped with 4 of us with similar payload in our double floored euramobil...

I have seen these vans at 3800kg so probably just a paper exercise to upgrade (ask SV Tech) But really best of coping within the 3500kg for ease of travelling around Europe, tolls vignettes etc.....

Looks like a distressed sale due to health, not many genuine private campers for sale on ebay, and this looks spot on....They toured america in it. The cover says to me that it has been well looked after as well

JM

I agree-this van looks spot on and with only 42,000 on the clock will run forever.

If you have £21,000 Dave I would snap this up before someone else does.

For a young couple to full time in for a year this would be perfect and at 3500kg would be cost effective too

If only I was 6 months younger and single................................................ (lol)

Mike

yeah, that Hymer looks good, I might have to give it a look (if one of you guys doesn't beat me to it ! )

As for extras, I'm not worried about stuff like a TV, I'm gonna take my laptop and I've got a couple of hard-drives with over a thousand films on. I've got quite a few games to take, plenty of books to read, and might buy a kindle too, so I can't see myself getting bored at any point.

I'd definitely like to take our bikes though, so a bike rack's a must.

I'll go to a few local dealers over the next week too, and have a look at what's available and which motorhomes seem most appropriate for the trip

Agreed, but make sure you fully investigate condition before buying.

If ill health is forcing sale, it may have stood for some time, so be prepared to pay for new tyres (C £150 a pop) and new batteries (possibly ditto). On the other hand it has a new MoT and quite long tax to go. Both easily re-set if necessary.

You appear have a licence to drive up to 7.5 tonnes. The owner of the van says, rather coyly, plated to 3,500kg. That suggests it may have been plated down and, if that is the case, for not a lot of cash it could be re-plated back to its original MAM, possibly 3,850kg.

If possible, that would also save you a bit on road tax, so win-win, because you'll get a reasonably workable payload. Otherwise, you need to find out what the working payload actually is. I suspect it is at present too little for long term touring because of all the extras fitted, that will already have eroded what was never high in the first place.

The van is around 10 years old, so no spring chicken! My guess is that it will give around 23-25 MPG. It looks excellent in the photos so, assuming it is genuine, with the above provisos, it would be very silly to miss it! It is an excellent layout with a good, for a motorhome, washroom. Check the shower tray for signs of cracking, especially around the outlet/s and around the edges where the floor of the tray meets the upstands. Don't understand the tubular heater in the washroom, or the apparently removable link beside it, but nothing a bit of neat DIY couldn't resolve. Otherwise, if genuine, a cracker!

Looks at first glance to be a very good buy.

Not much load capacity though....that would be a big drawback for us if we were looking to buy it for long terming.

450kg might be plenty for other people, but I'd definitely want to put a scooter rack and a 125cc scooter on the back if long-terming, and my guess is that you wouldn't get all that combined weight of maybe 200kgs, plus the distance of maybe 6 feet behind the rear axle, without taking the rear axle way over its load limit.

Also check out insurance costs for taking it abroad for such a long time - I'd understand that it can be very difficult indeed to get cover; as most insurers won't even quote at all for such a long time out of the UK.....but others may have experiences that contradict that?

BGD - 2012-02-10 3:46 PM

Looks at first glance to be a very good buy.

Not much load capacity though....that would be a big drawback for us if we were looking to buy it for long terming.

450kg might be plenty for other people, but I'd definitely want to put a scooter rack and a 125cc scooter on the back if long-terming, and my guess is that you wouldn't get all that combined weight of maybe 200kgs, plus the distance of maybe 6 feet behind the rear axle, without taking the rear axle way over its load limit.

Also check out insurance costs for taking it abroad for such a long time - I'd understand that it can be very difficult indeed to get cover; as most insurers won't even quote at all for such a long time out of the UK.....but others may have experiences that contradict that?

Good points! Our Payload is I think in the region of 800KG. There are two of us and our scooter of course and on a long trip we are pretty much tipping the scales to our max. Payload is crucial and a lot of vans just are not up to it. Designed for a week in the Lake district probably!

If your going to have a UK address (so your not officially homeless) then the Safeguard 365 policy should cover you for a year away. Thats what we have and it includes breakdown cover for the whole trip. A lot of them only allow 90 days single trip cover max (insurance and breakdown). If your going to be officially homeless I think Comfort are the only ones that offer proper official "Full Timing" insurance but its expensive

Guest JudgeMental
The OP has made it clear that he is taking bikes only. also as has been explained it only a paper upgrade to 3850kg Most of Europe seems to manage with 3500kg due to licence restrictions so no problem I would think...

Guest pelmetman
The weight thing is quite interesting................we drove around for 18 years unknowingly well overweight :$...........its only since we joined this sight we bothered to check.................and a bit like myself we have struggled to shed the extra pounds *-)...................but we are at times legal ;-)

The Hymer on Eddie's link certainly appears a good example.

Looking at a review of the Hymer 584 from the alternative magazine, it warns to put the van on a weighbridge as payload was considered THE minus point.

I think the van would have originally been plated at 3500kg, not downgraded to that from 3800/3850kg

The earlier models, 1997 & 1999 were on the 3200kg & 3300kg chassis respectively.

Some external screens for the windscreen to will help keep the van cool in hot places and help prevent condensation in cold times are a good idea.

Good breakdown cover is vital I would suggest, especially if you are in some out of the way place. You don't want to be marooned at the roadside waiting to be recovered somewhere. ADAC, a German company provide cover in some of the countries not covered by UK ones. Make sure any insurance has windscreen cover too. Especially if you go for an A class van. The windscreens on these can prove to be an expensive item to replace. There is also the issue of how long it takes some places to source a replacement. A straight forward standard windscreen, for any model can be sourced but the full A class ones have to come from the manufacturers and can take a few weeks to get.

Make sure your medical and vehicle insurances cover you before you cross some of the borders in the more Eastern and South Eastern European countries, or Morocco or Tunisia if you go that far. never assume! if it aint mentioned by name in the policy chances are you are not covered. An EHIC card isn't sufficient. Especially outside the EU. BTW these only last 5 years so make sure it has sufficient date on it before leaving the UK. Same with your passports! Sounds basic but some people do forget, especially when away for a long tour.

One saving you can make is by NOT buying a "Gas Attack Alarm"! They are pure fiction but some quite companies selling accessories still have them on their shelves and some actually promote these as a "sensible security option".

It really is pure rubbish and it really annoys me that they are being sold. By all means get yourselves a carbon monoxide alarm just in case of a faulty heater, and a proper alarm on your doors, (cab & hab), plus any external lockers that have access to the inside of the van, but don't be conned into spending money when it's not needed.

Just looked at the Hymer and from a personal perspective I wouldn't go for it if I was going to full time in it because I don't think the spec is right for long term living.

The fridge is only quite small and won't have a big enough freezer and the lounge doesn't look compatible with stretching out to relax, (there is only one bench seat.)

That table is fixed there and can't be moved so it might prove restrictive.

Fixed carpets can be a bu**er to keep clean when it's wet and muddy outside. The mats will help of course but when a bottle of beetroot falls out of the fridge you'll wish for lino pretty quick!

The headlights being adapted to LHD might be an issue with the MOT, because they point "the wrong way", but someone else will know for sure on that one.

Driving South for miles through Spain with the sun blazing through that big windscreen would get to me too!

Another no would be because there is only one door at the front, and it's next to the driver. If you pull up at a shop or roadside stop and your passenger wants to nip out it means she has to get out using the hab. door, which is at the back, on the kerbside and not able to be locked whilst you are in the driving seat, so it won't be secure Plus, over here it will be on the roadside of the van. Not that relevent abroad, true, but it is a consideration perhaps.

It does look in very good nick for a ten/eleven year old van though. I might be mistaken, but it looks like a solar panel is peeping out, just to the front of the awning rail on the roof. That, IMO would be a mark in it's favour. Nice length too! At 6 M. it will fit nicely on all those aires! Nice touch with the brolly holder with the little grey drip tray. Or is it a spitoon!

See it's all about personal choice! We always think our Cheyenne 660 is the ideal choice for a couple because of the bench seats eitherside of the lounge, it has a fixed bed down the side and a fridge freezer. When we go to shows or a dealers we always have a mooch at what's on offer and each time come away thinking we've got the best van! We've done several long tours too and find the lounges shown in the pictures to be uncomfortable when we go round to other peoples vans.

Cue abuse and vilification from the "dinette lovers of the world"! :-D

a big thanks to everyone for all the advice, I've printed it out and will bear it all in mind. So many great tips. I had to go to London last weekend and was hoping to see that Hymer on the way home, but when I rang the seller they told me it had sold. oh well, it wasn't any of you guys was it? ;-) I'm going to visit a couple of dealers this weekend, and I've spotted a few similar Hymers for sale, as well as various other makes.

Does anyone know if the Mercedes base that much better than the Fiat one on ten year old Hymers? I've seen a couple of Fiat based ones with40-50K on the clock and a Mercedes one with 90K on the clock. I'm imagining the Mercedes engine is better than the Fiat one, but would that be cancelled out by it having done 40K more miles?

Would anyone have an upper mileage limit on what motorhomes they would consider buying? Or do they just tend to run and run?

Guest pelmetman
I wouldn't be to fussed about the mileage providing they have been serviced on a regular basis, and the timing belt has been changed......................after all campers are built on a commercial vehicle base designed to do high mileage ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi

We're five months into our tour of Europe in our 1993 Hymer B544. For two people (and our dog Charlie) it's a perfect size. It cost us £10,500 and had just over 100k on the clock. I was a tad concerned about the miles, but a similar one with lower mileage was about £4k more, and it's only £3k to replace the engine completely!

We originally started looking around the £20k mark, but found Dave (our van) has pretty much all the same stuff just a little less modern. We made sure we went for a van with a full service history too and had a good overhaul at our local garage before we set off. We've had to go to a few garages enroute - to replace a skylight we forgot to close and repairs for a blow out, and they've all said that these types of vans were Hymers best years.

We kept a blog of all of our prep for our trip. We set off mid-October 2011 so anything before that is prep. We've also written some stuff while travelling - ie top ten things to bring, and not to bring! Hope you might find some useful stuff on it.

Julie

OurTour.co.uk - A mid life European and Moroccan wander in a motorhome

You said your looking forward to small mediteranina villages-on-sea :-S

For some years Menton- Liverno-Toulon have no campingcar signs,to park will cost from 18€ more often 32€PN 8-)

Just a few weeks ago i found all camping car stops from Montpellier to Port Venrdes were around 10€ PN (not always collected in January Febuary) There are a few free stops such as Meze but thats not that nice just a stop over with running water :-D To refill your shower tank & return the used shower water :-D

If you have a VW size camper you can park on car parks :-D But check first as many are pay or pay day or pay 24hours for campingcars but around 5€

The general rule as spriing summer arrives if you can see water it will be full and costly 8-)

As for budget remember the fuel prices are going up 8-) Hear in France today they announced on the French news Diesel 1.49€ Petrol 1.64€ which is about a 3 cent increase 8-) So to fill a tank costs around £100

Eating out over cooked dead animal & chips between 8€ & 12€ a good place once found Lunch around 12€ plus drinks and 18€ in the evening

Im pottering about by myself and have a buget of £1500 PM 8-) This year for food fuel stops eating out gas i spent about £700 during January,£600 Febuary and this month about £200 so far 8-) 8-)

I will fill with fuel tomorow when i move on but then i shouldnt need fuel untill La Rochell and my fridge and food lockers full therefor i imagin this month will use around £350/400 :-S

Portugal costs around 20% less shopping the same Italy around 20% more shopping 10/20% more

plumbersvan - 2012-03-20 11:31 AM

You said your looking forward to small mediteranina villages-on-sea :-S

For some years Menton- Liverno-Toulon have no campingcar signs,to park will cost from 18€ more often 32€PN 8-)

Just a few weeks ago i found all camping car stops from Montpellier to Port Venrdes were around 10€ PN (not always collected in January Febuary) There are a few free stops such as Meze but thats not that nice just a stop over with running water :-D To refill your shower tank & return the used shower water :-D

If you have a VW size camper you can park on car parks :-D But check first as many are pay or pay day or pay 24hours for campingcars but around 5€

The general rule as spriing summer arrives if you can see water it will be full and costly 8-)

As for budget remember the fuel prices are going up 8-) Hear in France today they announced on the French news Diesel 1.49€ Petrol 1.64€ which is about a 3 cent increase 8-) So to fill a tank costs around £100

Eating out over cooked dead animal & chips between 8€ & 12€ a good place once found Lunch around 12€ plus drinks and 18€ in the evening

Im pottering about by myself and have a buget of £1500 PM 8-) This year for food fuel stops eating out gas i spent about £700 during January,£600 Febuary and this month about £200 so far 8-) 8-)

I will fill with fuel tomorow when i move on but then i shouldnt need fuel untill La Rochell and my fridge and food lockers full therefor i imagin this month will use around £350/400 :-S

Portugal costs around 20% less shopping the same Italy around 20% more shopping 10/20% more

So you are now in France Fiona>>

Your last post I read a few days ago you were in USA???

I suspect you are sitting at home in Uk really, and traveling in your dreams?

:-S Im in a cafe town center,you can hear the coffee machine?I havnt left France yet i did want to go down to Libon :-D Now its to late it will start getting hot(er) 8-) Tommorrow is a vide grange(car boot sale)and i need a bottle of gas 8-) One is empty so ill spend tommorrow night by the river *-) Then leave for Bordeaux or La Rochelle to eat shell fish :-D

I prefer going off in winter friends living hear dont have many visitors and by now are happy to welcome the first of the visiting season *-) *-)

Life is jolly ok but it could be just a bit warmer 8-)

On the question of buget i didnt finnish as the tourist office closed for lunch 8-)

Fuel costs can make a huge dent if you tour as many seem to stopping for just one day before driving off again Ive been hear for a week and was in Limoux for a week moved in short steps hear i also notice a few camping cars for sale which have according to the ad in the window *only"68000kms 8-) and just over 3 years old 8-) 8-) lots of 2/3 year old campers with that milage and worse

I think i could travel with £500PM plus a shopping budget :-D If you allow £1200/1500 PM then you would have enough in reserve to pay for breakdowns repaires ferries fines 8-) 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We started off on a tight budget, but moving most days. We got it down to around €35 per day at one point. We're now spending around €43 per day, but eat out a bit more!

We average around €280 per week on a rolling basis, but to give you an idea of costs I've put breakdowns by country for France, Northern Spain, Portugal and Morocco on our site - you can find them under the motorhome life section, then all things financial. They give an overview of days in the country, miles driven, fuel and overnight costs etc.

Hope they might be of some help setting a budget.

Julie

OurTour.co.uk - A mid life European and Moroccan wander in a motorhome.

Archived