Etreham, Bayeux

tugga

Hi

Never been myself but there is a review or two on this link if it is the same

site.http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=8796

PS If you are crossing via Cherbourg there is a lovely aire about 10 mins from the port heading south at 7Euros inc elec & services-see pic below (if it works)

Mike

2007641344_Cherbourgaire.jpg.ac6edee43bf11d66d6a2f2426f6cf564.jpg

Unfortunately have been unable to locate your site. There is a municipal site at Bayeux which is within easy walking distance of the town centre,

If you want to be really different there is an aire in the centre of Bayeux. It is a large car park and has water and waste disposal but nothing else. We stayed there and at first were very apprehensive until about 20 other MHs arrived. Started to get concerned as part of the road surrounding the square was shut off and a stage erected outside a local bar. At about 9pm a jazz band started up and we were treated to some good music along with contributions by other artists, it was great. At midnight you would have thought a switch had been turned as it was silent. Again I thought the road around the park would be a boy-racers track but we did not hear a sound and slept like logs.

There are some superb aires in Normandy.

Stayed for a week on a Yelloh camp site on the coast at Saint Aubin Sur Mer. Excellent site with good size shaded pitches, hook-up, water and waste on pitch with brand new shower blocks kept spotless. Pool, bar and restaurant all on site and very well managed. Easy distance to major beaches and cheap bus ride into Caen by Ousterham.

sshortcircuit - 2012-02-08 10:34 PM

If you want to be really different there is an aire in the centre of Bayeux. It is a large car park and has water and waste disposal but nothing else. We stayed there and at first were very apprehensive until about 20 other MHs arrived. QUOTE]

We stayed on the same aire. We were directed to it by the charming staff in the tourist office. When we pitched up the circus were just pulling off the car park. They were waved away by a large crowd. All was then pretty quiet.

Next morning we were up early, and almost at the head of the queue for the tapestry visit, which was approx a 5min walk.

Can definetly recommend the aire.

Later that morning we left for Port Bessin.

regards

Allen

Guest 1footinthegrave
We too stayed overnight on the Aire in Bayeux, it is situated on Rue D'Eterville / Rue Montfiquet. Perfect as you are right in the city and only a short walk to everything. I echo others comments, we had an undisturbed nights sleep as well ;-)

This is not Bayeux but for the beaches and WW2 I would recommend the following.....

For an overnight stop, the Aire at Arromanches-les Bains, it is with in 2 min of the beach designated as Gold Beach and from here you can see the Mulberry Harbour, the village centre is also 2 min from Aire and the Overlord Museum is here if i remember correctly 5-6 E to go in with english speaking guides, we got there fairly early to make a full day of it, we comfortably managed to do everything in this village by the time we left next day after lunch. There is also a free train that takes you up the steep hill to the top and the 360 theatre and view point. We discovered this after walking to the top!! We had a good meal at the Arromanches Hotel well recommended.

We were there last September, you can get water and electric at a small charge from the bourne.

It is in the Aires Book.

:-)

tugga - 2012-02-08 8:43 PM

Want to do the WW2 beaches and museums this summer and are thinking of staying on the above ACSI site. Has anyone stayed on it and was it OK? Is there a better site elsewhere?

Have done a search but nothing came up.

Two years ago we visited this area and stayed for a couple of days at Bernieres sur Mer, page 53 in new ACSI book. It is a pretty chaotic typical French site but friendly with OK toilets/showers, pool etc, English is spoken, it is near the town and beach. We looked at the site you mention and it looked fine although a bit more remote. When we looked it was full so we went to Berieres. If you want to visit Bayeux you can park easily in the coach park at the tapestry centre, we looked at the aire in Bayeaux and fled, it is a carpark with vans parked two feet apart when we looked, not a place to relax and not for us.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2012-02-09 1:05 PM

Want to do the WW2 beaches and museums this summer and are thinking of staying on the above ACSI site. Has anyone stayed on it and was it OK? Is there a better site elsewhere?

Two years ago we visited this area and stayed for a couple of days at Bernieres sur Mer, page 53 in new ACSI book. It is a pretty chaotic typical French site but friendly with OK toilets/showers, pool etc, English is spoken, it is near the town and beach. We looked at the site you mention and it looked fine although a bit more remote. When we looked it was full so we went to Berieres. If you want to visit Bayeux you can park easily in the coach park at the tapestry centre, we looked at the aire in Bayeaux and fled, it is a carpark with vans parked two feet apart when we looked, not a place to relax and not for us.

No it's not a place to relax in the sense of the word, astonishing that you even bothered to look Henry, I don't think anyone is saying that, it's the same as a coach park, except this is dedicated Motorhome parking and a service point. If any one wants to take advantage of being in Bayeux for the evening and having a meal and a drink, then a wander back to the van to sleep over where we found it to be quiet after the workers had left in early evening, it is ideal, rather than having to drive back to a site, and just gives the OP another option that he may not have known about. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-09 1:25 PM

rupert123 - 2012-02-09 1:05 PM

No it's not a place to relax in the sense of the word, astonishing that you even bothered to look Henry, I don't think anyone is saying that, it's the same as a coach park, except this is dedicated Motorhome parking and a service point. If any one wants to take advantage of being in Bayeux for the evening and having a meal and a drink, then a wander back to the van to sleep over where we found it to be quiet after the workers had left in early evening, it is ideal, rather than having to drive back to a site, and just gives the OP another option that he may not have known about. ;-)

Mike we really need to get something straight, we have never had a problem with aires but do have a big problem with the 'wild campers', I have given my reasons many times. In this instance I am giving what the OP asked for a site in the area. Now others have suggested this aire and again I am giving a realistic view on this, we in fact visited Bayeaux to see the tapestry in the morning after departing the site and it was a part of a short traveling day. I completely agree it is good to give alternatives, we all need them, but any view I give is mine, posters can make up their own minds. On our last trip of 42 days we used aires on 14, would have used more but this was all we came across that we would accept. Like most we are not adverse to saving money but only up to a point.

Agree with Mike here, for ease of visiting Bayeux this aire is spot on. But it is a car park aire, nothing more nothing less. Now this does not bother us, but appreciate others not keen on parking close etc. However being right in centre of town and able to walk to attractionsis,to us, much better than staying on a site out of town. Regarding noise then we were there a couple of years ago on July 14, and yes, fireworks went on in to early hours but we saw a good display earlier, and atmosphere was great. So if not bothered by a bit of noise or close parking then use this aire; if prefer to be further out in a less urban setting then best not to. Not saying either is right or wrong just our view.

Yes agree with above ,used the Aire September 2010, only 5 vans there plenty of room,,remember Aire is for parking overnight,not setting up camp with tables chairs and owning out.Cars al lgone by 7pm start arriving back about 7.30pm.We stayed two nights every thing is within walking distance ,war museum was really good ,loads of places to eat in town. 2010 it was free.

Archived