motorhome storage

marybeth

Have been watching this thread to see if any info. came back as we are setting off hopefully in April to southern Spain for 10 - 12 wks. We will be in the Costa del Sol ( Puerto de Santa Maria, Torre del Mar ) guess the nearest airport would be Malaga & then moving on to Costa Calida ( Cartagena, Los Alcazares, Murcia ) nearest airport San Javier .

We may have to come back in the middle of our holiday & we are thinking of leaving motor home & flying back for week to 10 days.

Does anyone know of safe parking / storage near either of these airports ?

Thanks in anticipation

Don't know of any parking BUT would your insurance cover you for leaving it? You may be Ok if you left it at a reconised site. I would check with your insurance co , if you have to leave to come back to UK.

I am in the process of renewing our insurance and I think I will ask this question, as one never knows if an emergency would arise. Last year we had to come home for a close family funeral, but we found it easier to bring the van back and then go of again after.

Thanks Stalwart, will check our insurance. We know the cost to drive back + euro tunnel or ferry ,costs much more than a couple cheap mid week flights but yes obviously need to make sure we are covered. We are with Comfort Insurance so will check policy details.

Glad to help. It easier for us to bring our van back . as we live very close to Portsmouth Ferry, ( Can see ferries from our windows"saved messing about with Taxi to and from Airports, and we had stayed close to north coast of France as we new we would have to travel back

PJay

When we lived out in Greece and travelled to and fro we unfortunately told the insurance company that our van was parked on our drive in Crete and they told us that it would not be insured as it was only covered if it was on a site or was occupied. In the end we changed our insurers made sure it was covered for 365 days abroad and did not tell them where it was parked. Never assume it is covered unless you get written proof. We know of several people who left their vans on site abroad however like us it is a risk and something you should bear in mind.

Petra - 2012-02-13 5:02 PMwe unfortunately told the insurance company that our van was parked on our drive in Crete and they told us that it would not be insured as it was only covered if it was on a site or was occupied.

That's what most insurance companies would say! Plus right now I would imagine Greece is the last place one would want to leave a motor home whether insured or not.

john&sue - 2012-02-13 11:25 AM

Thanks Stalwart, will check our insurance. We know the cost to drive back + euro tunnel or ferry ,costs much more than a couple cheap mid week flights but yes obviously need to make sure we are covered. We are with Comfort Insurance so will check policy details.

To summarise Section V111 (Continental Use) of my own Comfort Insurance policy document, for "full cover" to apply

- your motorcaravan must be kept in GB, Northen Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man

- use of your motorcaravan outside the above countries must not be of a permanent nature

- if, for any reason, your motorcaravan is not "within your custody or control for a period in excess of 36 hours, then YOU must notify Comfort Insurance in advance"

As Losos suggests, I would think similar restrictions will apply to any UK-issued motorhome policy.

It's occasionally said that insurance providers will try anything to wriggle out of meeting claims. This is a massive over-exaggeration, but providers do demand 'full declaration' by whoever is seeking insurance. If something vital (like a need/wish to leave a motorhome abroad for an extended period) is not communicated to an insurance provider (due to oversight or deliberately), then the provider will definitely insist on adhering to the exact wording of the policy if a claim arises.

Archived