A Frames - Today

Randonneur

Just thought we would tell you that today on the road from Spain that brings you through to the Algarve, Portugal, the Spanish Police were stopping motorhomes with A Frames on the Spanish side of the Guadiana Bridge, what the result was we don't know.

The other thing that has happened is that last Thursday we went on the A22 motorway on the Algarve from Tavira to Albufeira went through the Toll cameras and then on Tuesday went to the Post Office in Tavira to pay our Tolls. They refused to take money from us. This has also happened to other people here on this campsite. Today we went to the ViaVerde office in Tavira and the same thing happened. There is no-one who will take the Toll money on Foreign vehicles unless you take a Pass at the little ticket booth at the beginning of the A22, difficult to see but it is where the Customs Office is.

Randonneur - 2012-02-10 7:36 PM

Just thought we would tell you that today on the road from Spain that brings you through to the Algarve, Portugal, the Spanish Police were stopping motorhomes with A Frames on the Spanish side of the Guadiana Bridge, what the result was we don't know.

The other thing that has happened is that last Thursday we went on the A22 motorway on the Algarve from Tavira to Albufeira went through the Toll cameras and then on Tuesday went to the Post Office in Tavira to pay our Tolls. They refused to take money from us. This has also happened to other people here on this campsite. Today we went to the ViaVerde office in Tavira and the same thing happened. There is no-one who will take the Toll money on Foreign vehicles unless you take a Pass at the little ticket booth at the beginning of the A22, difficult to see but it is where the Customs Office is.

So what does ths mean? You don't have to pay the tolls with a foreign motorhome or you do, but if you can't then through no fault of your own, you get fined for non payment?

Did they give any reasons?

Mike

I live in Spain and go to Portugal often, you can pay at a post office as well as the "Bus shelter" just over the bridge. I understand that if you do not pay the toll the police can stop you and give you a fine, or they write to Swansea asking for your details, ask you to pay and if you dont they wait for you to come back t get you.

I am told (hear say) that they have thousands of registration numbers so far and it hasnt been going that long.

Billy

On all the Spanish motorhome forums they are saying that it's a non-event.

No-one is buying the toll-road "smartboxes" any more; they are simply driving along any of the toll motorways in Portugal any-time they want to.

Reason is that the toll motorway system is a private one, and no-one is enforcing it.

The State Police have no interest in it, the country is just about busted anyway, and no-one is obeying the toll-road smartbox purchase rules as they are so expensive for the locals.

Apparently some of the locals bought the smart toll-boxes when the the tolls were announced, but now everyone has just stopped using them, as there is no enforcement at all - it's just a camera/bank account system, which can't access or recognise foreign number plates anyway.

We were over there on the Algarve for a while a couple of weeks ago, and whizzed around on the toll motorways along that southern Portugal coast whenever we wanted to, both in the MH and on our 125cc scooter. No problems at all and no bills.

We are due back over there in a couple of weeks for another month, and we won't be buying/renting a smartbox at all......

When we went to the ViaVerde office in Tavira I recorded on my phone what they said. The gist of it was they were not interested. Apparently all the Mayors on the Algarve did not want this toll on the A22 but were over ruled by Lisbon, this comes from someone who has lived at Olhao for the last 30 years. I think the Post Office and the ViaVerde are trying to mess the system up so that they will realise what a mess it is. I dread to think what will happen when it is busy in the Summer. By the way, if you pick up a rental car you may be asked for the tolls that the previous user did not pay, you cannot pay for a 3 day Pass at the little ticket booth (we have tried), it will only accept Foreign vehicles. The local English Portugal News is full of letters from Algarve residents complaining about the system.

Archived