Hospital treatment in Europe

Guest JudgeMental

Robinhood - 2012-02-12 5:47 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-12 1:14 PM

Please just follow this link, to Don Madge's heroic post on the subject on this very site, and then ask yourselves why I feel so exasperated! http://tinyurl.com/79ghpa8

.....given that Don's original useful summary is around 5 years old, and that there is now comprehensive information available on the web, it may be better to reference this overview page:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Introduction.aspx

which appears to adequately cover the current state of play, and also contains further links, including to a country-by-country guide on entitlement, process, etc.

I so agree. I drew attention to Don's post simply because it is right there under people's noses, and still they hadn't looked at it, preferring "does anyone know" posts, and apparently being happy when "anyone" replied. In fact, his post contains an update from Don linking to the same site as your link, though to a different page, so anyone reading what was there should, eventually, have got to the oracle.

Folk should also note that a number of health insurance policies are conditional upon an EHIC being carried.

My grumpily expressed point was really that accident or illness are unpredictable, both as to whether they will arise, and as to severity. In this country, although we moan about it, the NHS totally insulated us from the financial consequences of whatever happens to us, because we never see the bill.

Once outside the UK that changes, and although a few more have posted what to me seem slightly smug "I just handed over my EHIC and all was well" posts, they weren't hospitalised comatose with anything life threatening, and they weren't "casevac'd" back home. Had they been, a few would be staring at £10's of thousands in bills and, if with no, or the wrong, insurance, might now be facing having to sell their van and their house to pay them.

I would like to say I have taken the time to read the "wordy" responses on this subject but as I am apparently too stupid I havent bothered and skipped a few bits. Why use a one paragraph answer when an entire sermon will do?

Dont worry. When I pile the bike up in the Pyrenees or sink my little rubber dinghy in some far flung lake I wont come complaining on here when I get a huge bill. Lifes too short to worry about these things.

michele - 2012-02-12 5:59 PM

WE use all Clear travel . Alone for fred as she can not join us on the family group she is £400 .just for a three week jaunt to the SOF . What I never ever understand is if in her case she is doing better although how long this lasts is a mystery to even the best at Great Ormond Street. Why cant her insurance go down ? or why can't the lenght of time out of the country go up.

If the child has retractable epilepsy and you answer the questions honestly as in how many fits a day 22. and they can insure for three weeks what difference 4 weeks ?.

Insurance companys always insure theirselves against loss whats the problem.

especially when we have never claimed so far fingers crossedx

I sympathise with your dilema Michele :-S do you need to see a Doc when young un has these fits? I would be writing a letter to the Insurence company and stating your case or if they cant help asking if you can get any help with the Insurance you are a full time carer after all.

Barryd999 - 2012-02-11 8:32 PM

Thanks Judge

I must admit its not something I tend to think or worry about. Our travel insurance through Lloyds only lasts 31 days so after that we are on our own. We do tend to do some risky stuff as well! It would be useful to know exactly whats covered and what isnt.

I assume that you have a Lloyds Gold Card if you are covered for 31 days. Providing that you contact the bank before leaving the UK you can upgrade to longer periods abroad, e.g.93 days and even longer, and also cover the excesses for a relatively small amount. You will have to declare any health problems but you should find that you are both covered for the same price as one. The "small print" can be read online.

maggyd - 2012-02-12 8:00 PM

michele - 2012-02-12 5:59 PM

WE use all Clear travel . Alone for fred as she can not join us on the family group she is £400 .just for a three week jaunt to the SOF . What I never ever understand is if in her case she is doing better although how long this lasts is a mystery to even the best at Great Ormond Street. Why cant her insurance go down ? or why can't the lenght of time out of the country go up.

If the child has retractable epilepsy and you answer the questions honestly as in how many fits a day 22. and they can insure for three weeks what difference 4 weeks ?.

Insurance companys always insure theirselves against loss whats the problem.

especially when we have never claimed so far fingers crossedx

I sympathise with your dilema Michele :-S do you need to see a Doc when young un has these fits? I would be writing a letter to the Insurence company and stating your case or if they cant help asking if you can get any help with the Insurance you are a full time carer after all.

No Margaret I wouldnt dream of asking for any thing off . Nothing is free is it and we just pays our way . If she is really ill I onlyhave so many drugs I can give her then its off to hospital but fingers crossed she hasnt been in hospital for years now and I hope it stays that way x

Barryd999 - 2012-02-12 7:51 PM

I would like to say I have taken the time to read the "wordy" responses on this subject but as I am apparently too stupid I havent bothered and skipped a few bits. Why use a one paragraph answer when an entire sermon will do?

Dont worry. When I pile the bike up in the Pyrenees or sink my little rubber dinghy in some far flung lake I wont come complaining on here when I get a huge bill. Lifes too short to worry about these things.

To answer your question; I think it is because some things are actually more complicated to explain properly than can be achieved in one paragraph.

And the complexities of medical cover/costs/financial risks in each of the countries in mainland Europe are just such a thing.

Such things are not simple. Pretending that they are doesn't make them so.

Seems to me that life is too important NOT to worry about these things.

I would like to say I have taken the time to read the "wordy" responses on this subject but as I am apparently too stupid I haven't bothered and skipped a few bits. Why use a one paragraph answer when an entire sermon will do?

Your choice entirely, Barry, and it was not my intention to offend, or to imply stupidity, just to be good and sure I had everyone's attention!

I acknowledged that it was a bit abrasive, but for what I consider a good, justifiable, reason. Not everyone seems to be that clued up on the implications, and some of the excessively laid back posts seemed to me dangerously misleading for the less aware. That's all. Anyone can read what is posted, and more read than post.

Barry I never said you were stupid, just your statement about only having 31 days insurance for what was I believe a 4/5 month holiday. Why would you do that, the holiday must have cost several thousand so what differance does another couple of hundred for health insurance make? I stand by what I said, it is stupid. Your decision to make I know but does not alter my opinion and it is just that, my opinion. Sorry if it offends but I hope no-one else is tempted by this just because you 'got away with it'.

rupert123 - 2012-02-13 11:44 AM

Barry I never said you were stupid, just your statement about only having 31 days insurance for what was I believe a 4/5 month holiday. Why would you do that, the holiday must have cost several thousand so what differance does another couple of hundred for health insurance make? I stand by what I said, it is stupid. Your decision to make I know but does not alter my opinion and it is just that, my opinion. Sorry if it offends but I hope no-one else is tempted by this just because you 'got away with it'.

The reason for my questions was because I was under the impression that the EHIC card afforded you the same sort of treatment if you had an accident abroad that you would get if you had one here. I.e if I crashed the bike and broke a leg and spent a week in hospital I assumed (I know assumtion is the mother of all F**** ups) that if I had to pay for that treatment that I would be able to claim it back from the NHS. Therefore I never bothered with travel insurance as it doesnt seem as necessary as it used to be. The one I have for 31 days I get through Lloyds anyway.

I had emergency dental work in France in 2009. The bill was £300. The NHS said they would refund it which I thought was strange as I actually would have had to pay for it in the UK. In the end I just claimed on the travel insurance as it seemed easier.

Some interesting experiences here. Some time ago, I posted a thread asking for peoples ACTUAL experiences of using the EHIC, rather than relying on the stuff that is in the official guidance. I did not get much of a response then, but it was( mainly ) heartening to hear of peoples experiences throughout Europe. Apart from avoiding public hospitals in Greece ( no surprise there!), people seem to have got good service by asking to go to a public hospital and waving their EHIC cards at reception. My wife is virrtually uninsurable, despite having stable conditions, so we now go to EU countries with good health services. Fortunatly we have not had to call on foreign healthcare yet, but you never know.There may be issues with repatriation, but then we do have as motorhomers accomodation with us, and are less vulnerable than many travellers to getting stuck in foreign parts. Still a risk, I know, but one worth taking.

By the way I was specially interested in the case of the new hip being fitted in Tenerife, with only 1 week wait! Better than our health service, and we complain about all these foreigners getting free treatment over here. We may go and try our luck in Germany!

Barryd999 - 2012-02-13 12:25 PM

The reason for my questions was because I was under the impression that the EHIC card afforded you the same sort of treatment if you had an accident abroad that you would get if you had one here. I.e if I crashed the bike and broke a leg and spent a week in hospital I assumed (I know assumtion is the mother of all F**** ups) that if I had to pay for that treatment that I would be able to claim it back from the NHS. Therefore I never bothered with travel insurance as it doesnt seem as necessary as it used to be. The one I have for 31 days I get through Lloyds anyway.

Just as an aside. I was in MK Hospital today and I picked up a leaflet which covered the use of NHS services for people not resident in the UK even if you had been born here. It stated that A&E would generally be free but once moved out of A&E for ongoing recovery on a normal ward patients would be expected to pay. Perhaps this is the way it works with the EHIC card in other countries?

David

Archived