Fitting a Cassette toilet

fred22

Hi, as anyone fitted a "used" Thetford Cassette Toilet to a motorhome or caravan. If you have, how did you manage without the fitting templates?

I have asked Thetford and also my local dealer if fitting templates are available, but have had no replies from either.

Hi, Dave

Yes I have been on this site, it tells you how to fit the toilet and makes reference to the templates but it gives no details of the templates themselves.

I have searched Thetfords spare parts lists and templates are not mentioned.

There are a lot of secondhand units for sale on e-bay so there must be a work round or some way of obtaning the templates

There is a wide variety of Thetford bench and swivel-bowl cassette-toilets and the requirement for templates will vary accordingly.

For example, John Wickersham's book "Build Your Own Motorcaravan" has, on pages 180-181, a piece on how to fit a Thetford swivel-bowl C-200CWE model. This model has an integrated water reservoir with an external filler-inlet and a template is provided to allow accurate positioning and cutting of the hole needed to accommodate the filler-inlet. For models without an integrated water reservoir and, hence, no external filler-inlet, that template would be superfluous.

Looking at Thetford's C-200CW installation instructions on the link Dave provided, if it proves impracticable to obtain original Thetford templates, it should be straightforward enough to DIY adequate templates based on the instructions' general principles and drawings. It's probably the same for other Thetford models of toilet.

How easy it will be to install a toilet will depend on the type/design of the vehicle it's to be fitted to and how it's to be fitted. For instance, in the self-build motorhome described on the following link, the toilet's fitting-strategy requires no external apertures, considerably simplifying installation.

http://deepredmotorhome.com/washroom.html

Your best bet for obtaining templates (or accurate instructions to make them yourself) might be via the SBMCC,

http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/

though it's perhaps worth adding that, when I needed to cut holes in my previous motorhome's bodywork for Thetford/Dometic products that came with templates, I never bothered to keep the templates afterwards.

Thanks Derek.

I have John Wickersham's manuals on Caravans and Motorhomes but, I did not realise that he had written another one in respect actually "building " a Motorhome

I'll get a copy.

I assume it's published by Haynes and obtainable from Halfords?

Just in case I have to order it can you let me have the published title please.

Thanks again

Fred.

Hi Derek,

Just found this on e-bay item No 330686767076.

Is this the book to which you refer?

The reason I ask is because you state that the article in respect to cassette toilets is on page 180 but, this e-bay entry states that there are only 176 pages in the book.

Is the one on e-bay perhaps a later edition?(or is yours?)

fred22 - 2012-02-17 12:09 AM

Hi Derek,

Just found this on e-bay item No 330686767076.

Is this the book to which you refer?

The reason I ask is because you state that the article in respect to cassette toilets is on page 180 but, this e-bay entry states that there are only 176 pages in the book.

Is the one on e-bay perhaps a later edition?(or is yours?)

John Wickersham's book is published by Haynes and is called "Build Your Own Motorcaravan" (How could you doubt that I would be other than exact about the title? ;-) )

If you GOOGLE-search using the book's title, you should have no trouble retrieving plenty of references to it. Amazon currently shows it here

http://tinyurl.com/7qv54sn

As far as I'm aware there's still only one edition (published in 2006) and my copy has 194 pages.

It might be worth you browsing through the Amazon reviews of the book as some are seriously negative. It's definitely not an A-Z blow-by-blow manual for virgin motorhome self-builders - more of a general guide to background principles. It complements JW's book "The Motorcaravan Manual" and overlaps that book's content a fair bit.

If you were only interested in fitting a Thetford cassette-toilet it would not be worth buying as Thetford's own instructions are more comprehensive. I've found it useful though, despite never having any intention of self-building a motorhome, and it's hardly expensive at Amazon's £13-ish price.

I don't know if there are 'better' books for motorhome self-builders, but there's an e-book download relating to a specific project being offered here

http://abusforus.blogspot.com/

Archived