Shetlans

berford

The Tourist Information Centre on the main (pedestrianised) street in Lerwick is helpful. There are various booklets and leaflets including info about inter-island ferries. Whilst waiting for a ferry at any of the small ferry terminals you will be able to access wi-fi free of charge. It is possible to reserve places on ferries by phone to ensure you are able to cross at paticularr times you want.

As I posted on the "Camping Matters" reply, if you want to know anything specific send me a pm.

Best wishes,

Mel

There is some general touring information about Shetland at

http://visit.shetland.org/

and info on some of the local campsites at

http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/category.php?n=13&page=1&sort=&direction=

There are other sites not listed on that link, and if wilding, waste can be disposed of at any of the ferry terminal toilets and there is usually a hose available for water.

Also there are about 15 community-owned marinas with car parks where you can overnight, usually without charge.

We sailed from Aberdeen. Took 12 hours but we had a right old booze up in the bar and I ended up playing guitar with an REM tribute band.

Loads of places to wild camp and plenty of places to get water etc. I dont think we stayed on a single site. Inter Island ferries are cheap. When we were there I think they were a tenner each way. We went across to Yell which was a bit of a peat bog and then on from there to Unst which was terrific. You have to go if only to see the Millenium Bus shelter which even has its own website http://www.unstbusshelter.shetland.co.uk/ When we sat in there was even a half empty bottle of Scotch which was less than half empty when we left.

There were some abandoned RAF WW2 Bunkers and stations there as well which were quite interesting. Muckle Flugger at the end of Unst is the most northerly point in the British Isles at 61 degrees north.

Coming back we did the 6 hour crossing via Orkney and stopped there for a bit before coming back via the North coast of Scotland.

As I stated in my original reply in the "Camping" posting The Shetland Isles and Shetlanders are very welcoming of motorhomers and caravanners.

Motorhomers have different opinions about wild or free camping. Whilst we did some wild camping (which was great and in some wonderful locations) we also stayed at the site at Lerwick. This was convenient for us at various times during our stay on the islands, was reasonably priced with perfectly acceptable fcilities, we could book in at 7.45 am when we arrived on the ferry and is owned by a Trust established by The Islands' Council. Bearing in mind the Council owned museums are free (including the excellent one in Lerwick where over 3 days we spent over 5 hours), the ferry crossing from Yell to Unst is free, there are lots of free tourist information leaflets and booklets, the roads are excellent and there is so much to see and do which costs nothing ,public loos are free and clean, we felt that we wished to put some money back into the local council. (Incidently the free guided tour of the magnificent Town Hall was very good.) We would have felt that not staying on any site during our 12 days would have been churlish.

Archived