Alarm systems - Cobra

Lorrie

Just to endorse what Dave has said. Our last motorhome had a Cobra alarm and it was a pile of poo, when we got our present motorhome I opted to spend a bit more money and get a Vanbitz system. four years later and I haven't regretted that choice, only had one problem and that was when an led gave up the ghost. A quick phone call to Vanbitz they told me of a quick fix and sent a replacement part in the post. Some people have knocked the Vanbitz system in the past but I think their policy of using quality components stands the test of time

Lorrie - 2012-02-16 4:42 PM

Sorry should have said - changing vans.

That puts a different complexion on things. There are many perfectly good alarm systems available and suitable for motorhomes. The most important thing is to make sure its installed by someone who understands motorhomes and their owners/users.

D.

When I had my van built I had a "Factory Alarm" fitted big mistake! I had a strikeback in my previous van and could not be bothered to go to the trouble of travelling to Vanbitz to have their system fitted no real difference in price Vanbitz is competitive there.The quality of switches used workmanship and the fact that you get a Motorhome Alarm not a car /van designed one with great back up means there is only one place I will go if I need another alarm.

http://www.vanbitz.com/

Dave Newell - 2012-02-16 7:00 PM

The most important thing is to make sure its installed by someone who understands motorhomes and their owners/users.

I'd second that as being more important than 'the name on the box of bits'. Alternatively a competent auto-electrician. If you intend keeping the van for a good few years then go for any Thatcham approved alarm. You can add upgrades to these any time whereas non-Thatcham you can't. Also most Insurance companies will give a discount on Thatcham approved....usually around 5 - 10%.

We have a Cobra on our Rapido and it intergrates with the Fiat central locking etc. Does what is says in the leaflet (in several languages).

The only thing that I find slightly probmatic is that the unit gives 3 beebs when put into a mode which alarms the doors and lockers but switches off the internal sensors. (Night and dog storage mode)

Quite oftern I get three beeps as I lock the doors with the radio control. The unit still sounds if a door is opened, but I am unsure if the internal sensors are switched off.

Rgds

Archived