What's the worst/least useful thing that you bought for/added to your Motorhome?

BGD

To balance out that other current thread on the Best Thing you bought for/added to your motorhome:

What's the worst/least useful thing that you bought for/added to your Motorhome?

With reasons please!

If listing more than 1 item, rank them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As posted on your other thread Bruce...

...Although probably not the *least useful* in essence.. but in practise,for us,it would be the Fiamma awning/canopy that we had AutoSleepers fit to our first van ('03 Duetto)

...expensive(for what it was)...quite "fragile"...creaky'n'rattly...and all in all, a bit of a liability,when used in anything other than perfectly calm conditions... *-)

I would now just opt for a decent,tidy awning rail and use a simple tarp type canopy(..this is indeed what we do,even though our current van already has an Omnistor canopy..)

C

BGD - 2012-02-16 10:28 AM

To balance out that other current thread on the Best Thing you bought for/added to your motorhome:

With reasons please!

If listing more than 1 item, rank them.

The Mrs!

1) The useless Benimar manual that came with the vehicle! >:-(

2) The useless redundant waste water electric tap mechanism which jammed open & drained my batteries - we don't even have an electric tap only a manual tap! >:-(

Other than these, after 2 years ownership we are very happy with the van - well made, comfortable. Going to keep her for years we hope, like Pelmetman with his 20year old!

I probably should not have chosen to buy Milenco Quattro levelling ramps. They take up a helluva lot of storage space and they aren't easy to use unless you are unconcerned about having your tyres deformed by the 'points' that form part of the ramps' upper-surface design.

They do come into their own if the vehicle needs to be parked on a really really steep incline, but that's very rare in my case. Would have been better off with a bit less bulky ramps without the points.

Oh dear, I am upset to see some do not like Fiamma wind out awnings. I love mine and woud not be without it. Any risk of wind I tie it down and put a strap over. Absolutely marvelous when it is raining.

Just shows how different people have different views. So rwind out awning goes to teh top of my must have list.

Top of worst list is toast making gadget for gas hob. Absolutley useless and burned all the grommets for the pan stays. But some say they are brilliant...not for us... and enjoy our bread or rolls and butter now rather than toast.

Hi all

some years ago we bought a Harrison drive-away awning second hand for £300. Used it twice, it was so heavy with steel poles and heavy canvas and took simply ages to erect with much swearing.

I tried selling it on ebay but no takers, eventually chucked it out a few months ago. What a waste of money

Hi

We bought one of the drive away awnings as well a few years ago, took us ages the first time we tried to assemble it, and thought we had a small pole missing..(in fact just needed to change some of the poles over)

In innocence rang the company and asked them if they could send pole A3 or something like that..

How shocked were we when they sent the COMPLETE Awning again???

So now have 2 awnings we don't use, perhaps would use it if we stayed longer on sites, but we like to Travel and tour around Europe/Britain and the weight and size are restrictive *-)

Derek & Pauline

Satellite TV equipment.

Bought on impulse - a pain to set up - and the programmes weren't worth the effort.

( Used twice ? - dunno where it all is now )

Replaced by a DVD player, then by laptop - so I can take the programmes / films I like with me.

:-D

I like our wind out awning made ties similar to the ones from Lillipad it holds it and if too windy we wind it in, but agree with the safari room being to heavy and a waste of space.

Not to be controversial, the A frame is going, we are going trailer so we can use it abroad as well as at home. Especially after the recent posts about Spain, I also must admit to not feeling 100% about it.

:D *-)

A slight aside, the worst thing as 'original equipment' when we bought the Mh ... the Smev Grill - I'd much rather have had a large storage cupboard instead.

Many years ago, the worst thing we bought was a 'pyramid' type hob top toaster ... nearly as bad as the Smev!!! :D

I wanted a towbar on our old Hymer and being in Spain had to buy one with a certificate of installation (must admit good service and cheap). Then muggins decided he wanted a scooter and spent hours making a rack and fitting it. First try at loading scooter i dropped it and scratched it, then took it for a ride to U.K and round France/Spain on way back - never took it off the rack. Now sold the Van and scooter. The rack has been cut up and the parts made a nudge bar for new van and some mended the gate - rest is in 'stock' Much happier with new 'totty' van compared with fixed bed Hymer. The X250 drives beautifully and being short wheel base can get it in car parks etc. and keep up with motorway traffic.

Least useful item is the DOG and the new Safari room that the previous two owner and me never used.

Bob (Dougal is lovely really)

My Harrison drive away does what we wanted. Yes it and the poles are substantial, but it is solid and does not flap all over the place like the lightweight ones. I must admit that we only use it a few times a year, but it is easy to assemle/dismantle and I colour coded all the pieces for ease of recognition. We did modify the flap that joins to the awning rail with a zip in extention to increase the gap between the drive away porch and the van.

The toaster gadget for the hob does not get used, does not toast to well and creates a burnt smell in the van.

The dry grill assembly thing to place on top of the hob for eggs and bacon (a rare treat) sort of worked, but it's extra to carry and unpack.

We don't buy gadgets any more.

Fred

Short Wave radio: I bought one about 20 years ago and while the reception was a little dodgy in Europe we could, at that time, hear news from the UK a couple of times a day. Now it seems that the only programmes emitting from the UK are discussions with commonwealth inhabitants. If you need UK news, the BBC on the short wave, says " go to www. bbc etc" which is not really much use without an Internet connection.

The radio still works well in the UK and gives us fm reception, in our bedroom, when we visit our children.

Jon (Brambles) just reminded me. :-) One of those wind-out awning tie down strap thingies, because you can't! In calm weather, I use nothing. In a breeze, if it rattles the awning, I sometimes clip the awning legs to the side of the van (requires the awning to be shortened a bit), or keep it fully extended but use guy lines: one on each leg. If it still gets rattled, I shorten it (reef it, if you will), either keeping the legs in the clips, or keeping the two guy lines attached, and if it rattles some more, remove the guys and wind it right in. It is rarely left out at night - too many nocturnal trips to wind it in! :-)

Guest pelmetman

Re the wind out awning...............one tip with the strap is to have it going out forwards from the awning ;-).....................works better than having the strap sideways :D

Only discovered it last year *-)

Hi,

For me the SOG system, which was already fitted to the van when I bought it, Tried it out, NEVER again, Found it unhygenic and smelly, the Wife Hated it as well. Have gone to Elsan Blue, as it still KILLS Bacteria and Viruses (which is MY aim with toilet fluid !). Don't agree about Wind out Awnings,

I wouldn't be without one, yes, you have to be careful, and take sensible precautions but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. All the other stuff has been well thought about BEFORE it was bought, so, gets used regularly. :D Ray

PS If ever Formaldyhyde gets completely Banned from toilet fluids, I would start to use standard Bleach from the supermarket, which would be considerably cheaper than 'useless' Thetford Blue' fluid.

pelmetman - 2012-02-18 3:56 PM

Re the wind out awning...............one tip with the strap is to have it going out forwards from the awning ;-).....................works better than having the strap sideways :D

Only discovered it last year *-)

Yes, agreed, but just use a couple of decent guy lines and rock pegs. Cheaper, less bulky, no girt great bits of angle iron to bash in (and pull out), and adequate to the point at which the wind is giving the awning serious grief. If one leaves awnings strapped down or guyed beyond a certain wind strength (gusting much over force 4 to you :-)), the biggest danger arises when you release the strap/guys to roll it in. One good gust then, and the van ends up wearing it!

Archived