Fiatt Duccatto spare wheel recall

sandypowell

It,s been widely reported in the press ( mmm Magazine et al) about the Sevel vehicle recall for the spare wheel assembly. Aparently there was a danger that the wheel could become loose and fall off while moving.

I looked up the DVLA website and my vehicle was in fact subject to the recall and has now ben fixed FOC.

I have however written to both Swift Group and Fiat UK to 'enquire' how it was that despite the fact they have acknowledged I am now the registered keeper of the 2.6 year old motorhome neither of them saw fit to contact me about the recall.

I have just had a letter back from Swift saying more or less - nothing to do with them.

Swift group are not informed or sent any information by Fiat regarding recalls require by Fiat.

So far nothing back from Fiat.

Surely a major? customer such as Swift suould expect to be informed that vehicles purchased by them from Fiat have a potential life threatening problem associated with the design of vehicles supplied to them.

I would have thought that even if it was only in the interest of informing Swift out of common courtesy and furthering good customer relationships this would be done. Or do they not care?

It certainly looks as if Swift Group don't care about the quality of the product they are purchasing so why should Fiat care!!

Hi,

I had my recall notice from Fiat UK a few months ago and had the work done on our similarly aged van without a problem. 

When I first bought it new I called in to our local Fiat main dealer to make sure it was on the Fiat computer system and the warranty start date was set to our purchase date. It had an engine management system upgrade recall done then.

Steve 

Hi Sandy;

I heard about this one, I think it was in MMM a couple of months ago, and decided I ought to do something about it.

My situation is a bit more complicated than the norm I think.

We have a PVC on a Ducato that we bought from a dealer, 08 reg, low mileage and good condition.

As a commercial vehicle it didn't have a spare wheel or cradle, but I negotiated a new spare wheel and had a cradle fitted by my local garage, after the conversion had been completed. It's been sitting there with no problems for about 2 years, and been on all sorts of roads.

I had the gearbox problem sorted by a Fiat commercial dealer, and was not very impressed with them; but they carried out the work very satisfactorily ( but it took ages and ages), so I'm not keen to take it back there.

My question; was the work carried out significant, was the cradle replaced, or a minor adaptation?

I suppose this is just one of the pleasures of owning a bespoke PVC!!

Maybe I'll phone Fiat and see what they suggest,

Happy camping

alan b

snowie - 2012-02-16 10:04 PM

Hi Sandy;

I heard about this one, I think it was in MMM a couple of months ago, and decided I ought to do something about it.

My situation is a bit more complicated than the norm I think.

We have a PVC on a Ducato that we bought from a dealer, 08 reg, low mileage and good condition.

As a commercial vehicle it didn't have a spare wheel or cradle, but I negotiated a new spare wheel and had a cradle fitted by my local garage, after the conversion had been completed. It's been sitting there with no problems for about 2 years, and been on all sorts of roads.

I had the gearbox problem sorted by a Fiat commercial dealer, and was not very impressed with them; but they carried out the work very satisfactorily ( but it took ages and ages), so I'm not keen to take it back there.

My question; was the work carried out significant, was the cradle replaced, or a minor adaptation?

I suppose this is just one of the pleasures of owning a bespoke PVC!!

Maybe I'll phone Fiat and see what they suggest,

Happy camping

alan b

Use the search on here and you will find in seconds lots of info like

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22828&start=1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I took the 'van to a local Fiat truck main dealer who aranged to fit the complete wheel carriage assembly under the recall at no charge and with absolutely no problems.

I have now had a reply from Swift who sat they are not informed by Fiat of any recalls.

Also a letter from Fiat who say they did send a letter by recorded delivery that was not signed for or collected?

Regarding Swift - I still feel they must have a responsibility for all the vehicles purchased from Fiat, still sitting in their yard to be fitted out or in a dealers showroom still to be sold. I's not good enough to say we are not informed - why not?

Sandy

The DVLA website indicated my vehicle was subject to recall. The Fiat dealer refused to do anything about it because I had not heard from Fiat.

The Fiat website did not show a recall for my vehicle even though the chassis number fell within the recall range.

12 months on I still have not heard from Fiat. I have not received an e mail either from the Fiat Camper Assist website with which I registered 18 months ago despite that site now showing the recall for my vehicle. It is booked into be done next month.

The lesson is not to rely on receiving a letter or e mail from Fiat and to check the Fiat Camper Assist website.

Archived