Headlamp beam bender

sandypowell

Can anyone tell me where to get a plastic cover for 2009/10 Duccatto headlamps that has markings on them showing where to fit headlamp convertors? or any ideas where to put the stickers onto the glass.

No I probably won't be driving at night, but will be driving with dipped beam

sandypowell - 2012-02-16 12:09 PM

Can anyone tell me where to get a plastic cover for 2009/10 Duccatto headlamps that has markings on them showing where to fit headlamp convertors? or any ideas where to put the stickers onto the glass.

No I probably won't be driving at night, but will be driving with dipped beam

Hi

They have these at £48 if this is what you're looking for try this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-HEADLIGHT-PROTECTORS-BEAM-DEFLECTOR-06-to10-/250700175365?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5ee51805

Mike

William.

Headlamp protectors that are on sale for around £48 are what they say protectors they have markings on them so that you can position tape to deflect the beams.

Beam benders do not protect the headlights. Putting black tape direct onto headlamp lens's can cause them to crack, due to heat build up. Headlamp protectors do not touch the lens so do not heat the lens.

I have had deflectors fitted for a couple of years and there are one or two pits where stones have hit them and therefore not the lens.

I bought a pair of PROTECTORS when we got the present van, and stuck a pair of DEFLECTORS to them (on the "inside," wrong way round) resulting in a set of smooth, clip-on covers which I've now used on 7 continental trips. Well worth the investment, not so much for the money saving (7 lots of deflectors would have been cheaper) but more because it's so simple to clip them on and off when needed.

I've got the deflectors/protectors on my MH and very good they are too. Excellent protection for expensive headlamp units.

However having just returned from a trip to southern Germany I wonder if it's really worth worrying about applying beam benders to the headlamps.

Waiting to board the Eurotunnel train at Calais yesterday in my ordinary car (not MH) I decided to count the number of GB cars with beam benders fixed onto their headlights. Result - zero in fifteen minutes of watching.

Obviously we don't want to be a moving dazzle hazard but with such blatant disregard you do wonder if it is worth it. My beam benders and high vis jackets stayed in their packets inside the car all journey.

Also we only saw one police car in over 1,000km of driving and that was in Luxembourg stopped at a cafe!

Maybe other forum members have had different experiences but my visual memory is that well over 90% of brits abroad do not stick anything on their headlights.

And what about all those non GB cars (and the endless stream of euro HGVs as well) coming into the UK - don't see any beam benders on them either. Our law enforcers also appear to have better things to do with their time.

Interesting!

sandypowell - 2012-02-16 5:06 PM

thanks but the problem is were to position the sticker, however the link to one of the sites above shows a picture of the cover fitted with difflector.

Now i know where to put the sticker on the galss lens !

Another forum thread that may help:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26248&posts=6

Interesting comments. I've always stuck the beam benders from Halfords but they are difficult to get off and do scratch or blur the headlamps (must be the way I try to get the sticky stuff off!) I'm very interested in the covers but when I inquired in the Peugeot and Fiat dealers they both said that they no longer do them. I will be taking delivery of an Elddis Autoquest 120 on a Peugeot boxer base in March so would like to know where to purchase covers with the continental beam bender on them for a 2012 model.

Just be aware if you place black stickers drectly oin the lens (plastic not glass) then the additional heat trapped can cause crazing of the plastic ( no it is not the adhesive before anyone says it is). hence why people buy the covers for the masks. If you use beam deflectors they allow the heat from the lamp to transmit through still (to a large extent) so are less likely to cause a heat problem.

Personally, I would invest in proper covers and also protect headlights from stones, it is not cheap for a headlight unit.

aande83 - 2012-02-17 11:02 AM

Interesting comments. I've always stuck the beam benders from Halfords but they are difficult to get off and do scratch or blur the headlamps (must be the way I try to get the sticky stuff off!) I'm very interested in the covers but when I inquired in the Peugeot and Fiat dealers they both said that they no longer do them. I will be taking delivery of an Elddis Autoquest 120 on a Peugeot boxer base in March so would like to know where to purchase covers with the continental beam bender on them for a 2012 model.

Ahhhh! maybe the deflectors have a heat retention problem as well then!! Ah well. Use covers is the answer.

aande83 - 2012-02-17 11:02 AM

This link refers to protective covers suitable for 2006-2010 Ducatos, but there's every reason to believe they would also be OK for a 2012 model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250678490681#ht_500wt_703

Alternatively, there as these:

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

The covers being marketed on ebay are claimed to be genuine OE (Original Equipment) parts, while the Van Comfort-marketed covers are said to be manufactured by EGR - an Australian company. (Dunno if that means they'd necessarily protect your headlights against kangaroo impact though.)

The "GOO GONE" stuff advertised on the following link (and available from lots of other suppliers) seems to get plenty of praise for removing residual adhesive:

http://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/Magic-Cleaners-Goo-Gone.html?gclid=CMCTk7vWpa4CFYsntAodhj1oSw

Thanks to all for replies and links - very useful.

"I bought a pair of PROTECTORS when we got the present van, and stuck a pair of DEFLECTORS to them (on the "inside," wrong way round) resulting in a set of smooth, clip-on covers which I've now used on 7 continental trips. Well worth the investment, not so much for the money saving (7 lots of deflectors would have been cheaper) but more because it's so simple to clip them on and off when needed".

When you put them on the protectors the wrong way round do you also have to swap them over ie the left hand position to the right protector and the right hand position to the left deflector? Sorry if I seem thick I just recall that they have some sort of pattern to assist the deflection.

aande83 - 2012-02-17 11:49 PM

Thanks to all for replies and links - very useful.

"I bought a pair of PROTECTORS when we got the present van, and stuck a pair of DEFLECTORS to them (on the "inside," wrong way round) resulting in a set of smooth, clip-on covers which I've now used on 7 continental trips. Well worth the investment, not so much for the money saving (7 lots of deflectors would have been cheaper) but more because it's so simple to clip them on and off when needed".

When you put them on the protectors the wrong way round do you also have to swap them over ie the left hand position to the right protector and the right hand position to the left deflector? Sorry if I seem thick I just recall that they have some sort of pattern to assist the deflection.

The most commonly-available headlamp beam deflectors are of the "Eurolites" type shown here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eurolites&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=5796775256&ref=pd_sl_8alz8hb6r8_b

Each deflector comes in two parts and (depending on the particular vehicle involved) either both parts are used, or just the circular part. Deflectors for RHD left-dipping headlights differ from deflectors for LHD right-dipping headlights regarding the design of the 'arm' part, and there is no hard and fast rule as to which way up they should be fitted. Also, where you fit them on the headlamp-unit for a particular vehicle model with RHD may differ from the correct on-headlight position for the same vehicle with LHD.

There's an instructions listing on this link

http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/halfords/download/travel-spot-latest-vehicle-listing.pdf

and it should be noted that the 'diagram number' varies - for a current-model Peugeot Boxer it is "2", whereas for a current-model Ford Transit (like Tony's) it's "44". The diagrams are not shown on the link, but they define whether one or two pieces of the deflector are used and where on each headlamp unit the deflector should be fitted. Diagram "2" uses just the circular part of the deflector, while Diagram "44" uses both parts.

Tony's ploy has the light from the headlamp passing through the deflectors from front to rear (rather than from rear to front as would normally be the case and how the deflector is designed to operate) and upside-down to how they would normally be fitted to a RHD Transit's headlights. Tony summarised his methodology here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11292&posts=12

I'm not sure how practicable it will be to use any of the positioning diagrams provided for 'normal' deflector fitting if Tony's back-to-front idea is to be employed - it may come down to trial and error to obtain the optimum beam pattern. In principle, I would have thought you'd mark the position on the front of the headlamp protector where the beam deflector should go for a RHD Peugeot Boxer (in your case), then stick the deflector in that position on the reverse of the protector but with the deflector 'circle' the opposite way up to whichever way up the RHD Peugeot Boxer diagram says it should be.

Some afterthoughts on the subject of sticking beam-deflectors on the reverse side of headlamp protective covers..

It's perhaps worth stating the obvious that, to minimise the likelihood of dazzling oncoming drivers when you aren't travelling outside the UK, when you return to this country you'll either need to remove the protective covers, remove the beam-deflectors and then replace the covers, or do as Tony does and remove the protective covers (with their 'on-the-back' beam-deflectors still in place) and leave them off off until you next go abroad.

In the first case, you'll probably damage the beam-deflectors removing them and will need to buy some more before going abroad again. In the second case, while you are driving in the UK your headlamps won't be protected from impact damage. Me, if I were going to invest £50 on headlamp protective covers, I'd want them to be providing impact protection at all times, not just when I was driving abroad.

The other thing is that, even if headlamp protective covers have been obtained solely to allow masks/beam-deflectors to be stuck on the covers rather than directly on to the headlamp units themselves, it needs to be asked how easy it will be to fit/remove the covers if you plan to stick the beam-deflectors on the covers' reverse side.

Tony has a Transit Mk 7-based motorhome and says that clipping his covers+deflectors to the headlight units takes just moments. However, if I recall correctly, fitting protective covers to X250 Boxer/Ducato/Relay headlamps is much trickier and not something you'd want to do more than once.

My own feeling is that, if you want to go down the protective covers route, you just stick some 'masks' in the appropriate position on the outside surface of the cover, remove and discard the masks when you come back to the UK, and make some new masks from insulating tape before you next go abroad. If you are worried that the masks may cause damage to the protective covers by overheating the plastic, then use white insulatiing tape rather than black.

I have used the original masks on our Protectors three times now. If you switch the headlights on for a couple of minutes or so to warm the masks they will peel of and can be put back on the backing sheet.

I have cut a couple of new ones just in case the originals dont stick too well.

As Derek says to take the protectors off and on are a bit of a pain as you need to take some of the trim near the bonnet off each time, so once on stay on.

I bought the plastic headlamp protectors for my Boxer from the local Peugeot dealer - about £43 after a 10% accessory discount. These are made in Australia – I suspect they all come from the same factory as EGR is an OEM supplier.

They are clearly marked with black lines where to stick the masks. The protectors are easy to fit, altho I did have to make a slight mod with a file to get them to fit correctly.

Having paid for the protectors, I have kept them on in the UK as it's easy to unpeel and refit the masks. 2 sets of masks were supplied in the box - still on the first set after three continental trips, but when they wear out I'll go back to black tape.

gonewalkabout - 2012-02-18 10:07 PM

I bought the plastic headlamp protectors for my Boxer from the local Peugeot dealer - about £43 after a 10% accessory discount. These are made in Australia – I suspect they all come from the same factory as EGR is an OEM supplier.

They are clearly marked with black lines where to stick the masks. The protectors are easy to fit, altho I did have to make a slight mod with a file to get them to fit correctly.

Having paid for the protectors, I have kept them on in the UK as it's easy to unpeel and refit the masks. 2 sets of masks were supplied in the box - still on the first set after three continental trips, but when they wear out I'll go back to black tape.

When did you purchase the protectors? I inquired with the local Peugeot and Fiat garages in my area and they stated that they no longer sell them?

I bought them early summer last year - probably May 11.

They are still listed in the Boxer Accessories brochure -

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/Resources/Content/brochures/accessories/peugeot-boxer-accessories.pdf

(page 6) - I got the protector no2 which came with black lines showing where to stick the supplied masks - not a bender. I just noticed they also show a converter no 3

The brochure is under the Robins and Day website accessories. here was also a 10%discount brochure on the website when I bought them - not sure if that is still there. I ordered them one day and they were available the next. They are badged Peugeot, but that could probably be removed.

VanComfort. Bought a pair for my 2010 X250 and left them on permenantly. Two purposes: (1) headlamps are bl**dy expensive to replace if stone damaged (and RHD versions diiicult to get outside the UK) and (2) covers are marked as to where the masking tape goes. Took off the tape on return to UK but markings allows black insulation tape to be applied accurately each time its needed.

Richard.

With reference to the cars with no deflectors... Most of the modern cars have the facility of converting the lens to l.h.d. mode.. Better than the hundreds of ex-pats that drive round with no M-o-T or road fund licence. They will cause you a major problem if in an accident... *-) Griff

Archived