Does the width make a huge difference

calypso

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that I could be accused of again banging my drum about our latest van but, it does seem to me to be an excellent compromise between PVCs and CBs.

It is an Adria Compact SL, - length 6.61 mtrs., width 2.14 mtrs. and the SP (transverse bed model) is only 6 mtrs. long. It is only 6 cms. wider than our Adria Twin, and indeed, successfully uses the same short armed mirrors as on the panel van. The overall width (mirror to mirror), is therefore the same as the panel van. You do however have to be more aware of the extra height and width of the roof, compared wth the van.

It is built on the medium wheelbase chassis, so is much more manourverable in tight spaces than the long wheelbase van. You do however have to be careful about the rear end swinging out on full lock.

Another advantage I have found, is that the weight distribution is better,lowering the risk of overloading the front axle.

I believe that the Compact is now back in production, after a couple of years break.

By the way, I spent most of my working life driving ( max. weight and size) HGVs. and enjoy being able to explore the backroads in a much more relaxed way than I ever could in the "truck"

Hope this proves useful to the original "poster" calypso.

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-19 7:16 AM

Here's a company with a product that some may find handy to protect and or repair those sticky out mirrors.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

We have the white ones of these fitted and one very real advantage quite apart from the protection they give is that they make the mirrors very visible. To be fair to white van man the original black mirrors are not very visible and he may well assume that they are the same width as his standard mirrors rather than poking out like a couple of aeroplane wings.

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-19 12:34 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-18 9:16 PM

Oh come on guys with the bickering, you could be dead tomorrow, what does it matter, ;-)

Agreed, I'm dead already! :-D

....is it free wifi beyond the grave, then, Brian?

(or are you in McDonalds, in which case we'll all know which way you've gone). ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-02-19 7:16 AM

Here's a company with a product that some may find handy to protect and or repair those sticky out mirrors.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

Back from the dead already! :-D

Our first van was a Burstner. A mirror was damaged when I took evasive action at a roadworks (swerved to avoid lurching oncoming car, and caught roadside marker with mirror head). Neither the glass, nor the shroud broke, but the internal cast metal frame cracked, when the mirror head whacked the side of the passenger's door. However, the force of that impact was sufficient to also slightly crease the door panel!

All I wonder, therefore, is whether, by adding mass to the mirror head, these protectors make things better, or worse. In my case, which can hardly be typical, my suspicion is that the frame would still have cracked as it did, but due to the added mass, the crease in the door would have been worse.

In fact, during replacement of the mirrors, I took the opportunity to spray both shrouds white (they were standard black), after which oncoming drivers seemed far more aware of their presence. So, white (or light coloured) shrouds may be at least as beneficial as extra physical protection.

All our local buses have yellow mirror shrouds: I wonder why?

Robinhood - 2012-02-19 12:52 PM

Oh come on guys with the bickering, you could be dead tomorrow, what does it matter, ;-)

(or are you in McDonalds, in which case we'll all know which way you've gone). ;-)

It's all in the ether, Robin! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-19 1:02 PM

Robinhood - 2012-02-19 12:52 PM

It's all in the ether, Robin! :-D

....I thought it might be Cloud Computing. ;-)

Hi thank you all again ,I think we might go for the broadway its6.280...20' 7" long and 8' 10" wide inc mirrors,We are going to buy some of those mirror guards.....and warn all you lot when we are about to set off.....and just hope we don't bump into any white van men.

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2012-02-18 11:11 PM

I'm coming back in on this one retread. I never made any remarks about trees jumping out or HGVs suddenly appearing. .

No indeed Colin - that was me - and if other people are unable to envisage the scenario or try to understand what I meant I am certainly not going to to explain!

Guest Tracker
calypso - 2012-02-19 5:01 PM

Hi thank you all again ,I think we might go for the broadway its6.280...20' 7" long and 8' 10" wide inc mirrors,We are going to buy some of those mirror guards.....and warn all you lot when we are about to set off.....and just hope we don't bump into any white van men.

Nice choice - may your god go with you and bless her and all who sail in her.

May I respectfully suggest some advanced driver training - cross country from Dartmouth to Watchet and back (no sat nav or maps allowed) should about do it for getting the hang of the width!

Good luck!

Archived