Comfortmatic etc

Tweaky

Chausson le mor - 2012-02-21 11:23 AM

The new Renault Master is actually slightly wider than the Fiat Sevel van so dont know why you would say problem with internal space give me the Renault anyday over the Fiat I should know have tried them all the aftersales on fiat in this part of the country is dire! still reckon its better to pay £980 extra for auto transmission than double that with Fiat! Plus you can get the renault quickshift on the MWB as well as the LWB van! On fiat I am not sure if you can get the comfortmatic on a MWB conversion??

The master is narrower on inside than equivelent ducato by around 4", for some layouts this makes little differance, but for a 'twin style' it makes a big differance and doesn't work well.

WOW-now that opened a bag of worms (as they say upt north).

My disability means I need an automatic.

As for the VW-I was looking to purchase a motorhome just prior to my accident and had never considered the issues that an auto gearbox brings, mainly my ignorance of this type of system.

I never considered a small motorhome prior to my accident but having seen the VW on the internet at a dealer I had visited on many occasions and it being an auto we decided to view. The result was we purchased it and to be honest have enjoyed every minute so far. No-we don't have the luxury of a seperate toilet and yes we are somewhat cramped, and on reflection could have spent the money on a decent 4/6 berth BUT we have the ability to move about when on a camp site and do a bit of sight seeing.

We have just spent a few days at Meathall and was able to go sight seeing where as the larger motorhomes remained static. Think this could be a new thread for me in the near future!!!

My original thread was to ask about the other types of vehicles and the auto gearbox. The dealer I got my VW from somewhat frowned at the comfotmatic saying it was poor yet I read that people are more than happy with them.

Talk about confused? but then it doesn't take much to confuse me these days.

Anyway-thanks to everyone for their contribution.

Excellent forum.

Tweaky

It is not confusing really you have 2 types of replies

1 from people that do not own them

2 from people that do own them

I would say most of the people that do not own them have no experience of them at all other than what they think they " undoubtedly " know.I am sure some of these are paid by the word

How many replies from owners and drivers of them said what your vw selling dealer did?

Tweaky,

It looks from the above that the Comfortmatic, on Fiat/Citroen(not available on Peugeot evidently) van conversions has no clutch pedal and is reliable, so worth a look, if a bit 'Expensive' as an 'above the manual' cost, as up until this year it was only available with the 3 litre engine, this year it will be available on the 2.3 as well, but there won't be any on the 'Second hand' market yet, i wouldn't have thought.

Also, there are quite a few Mazda Bongo, Toyota Granvia conversions both Hi-Tops and raising roof, with 'Full' automatic gearboxes, which might be suitable, these are based on second-hand Japanese imports and are R/H drive as the Japs are sensible and drive on the same side of the road as us. Apart from them, Autosleeper Duetto on a Ford chassis used to have a 'Full' Automatic version, although no longer marketed by Autosleeper.

It's not easy though, as 'Full' automatics seem to be going 'out of fashion' in the drive for more MPG at any cost. Provided the 'Robotic' versions do 'Everything' that the 'Torque coverter' ones do i don't see any problems for Disabled drivers. Does anyone using a Comfortmatic or Renault version of robotic 'Auto' see any problems with them being used for the Disabled ? (no left leg operation).

Ray

I have driven numerous vehicles with so called 'full' automatic transmission, and the Comfortmatic behaviour is no different, so I can't imagine disabled drivers having any difficulty with it. As for MPG, there are those who think the Robotic clutch versions should give better fuel economy since they are programmed to change gear at the right time and revs, and they don't have the power loss that a torque converter can involve. My 3 litre Auto Fiat Tracker returns 25 - 27 mpg depending on how quickly I want to get somewhere, but I have no idea what a 'manual' version would do.

Neil B

Neil,

I can confirm that we have run Ducato 3.0 manual and comfort-matic vans on the same routes, at the same time in convoy with similar loads for many thousands of miles and have made sure that leading vehicles swapped regularly to discount any aerodynamic variables. The verdict was that the comfort matics were between 1mpg plus or minus of the manual. I am satisfied that under most circumstances there is no difference. In town driving the auto seems to hang onto low gears longer than i would in a manual, and it does not change up to 6th until you are going above 50mph, which I would not do, so the programming is about efficiency and minimising load on the engine; perhaps at the expense of 1 mpg but I am sure it will extend the life of the gearbox, clutch and engine.

In a word.... Brilliant.

Nick

Thanks David, JHorsf etc,

All very useful, appreciate your comments.

The forum has opened my eyes to the world of Motorhoming and the people that participate.

I didn't realise that there was a bit of a culture of "badge" cred etc. Being new to the scene I have found everyone on the sites very easy to get on with.

Once again thanks for your help.

Tweaky

Rayjsj - 2012-02-22 12:26 PM

Tweaky,

It looks from the above that the Comfortmatic, on Fiat/Citroen(not available on Peugeot evidently) van conversions has no clutch pedal and is reliable, so worth a look, if a bit 'Expensive' as an 'above the manual' cost, as up until this year it was only available with the 3 litre engine, this year it will be available on the 2.3 as well, but there won't be any on the 'Second hand' market yet, i wouldn't have thought.

Also, there are quite a few Mazda Bongo, Toyota Granvia conversions both Hi-Tops and raising roof, with 'Full' automatic gearboxes, which might be suitable, these are based on second-hand Japanese imports and are R/H drive as the Japs are sensible and drive on the same side of the road as us. Apart from them, Autosleeper Duetto on a Ford chassis used to have a 'Full' Automatic version, although no longer marketed by Autosleeper.

It's not easy though, as 'Full' automatics seem to be going 'out of fashion' in the drive for more MPG at any cost. Provided the 'Robotic' versions do 'Everything' that the 'Torque coverter' ones do i don't see any problems for Disabled drivers. Does anyone using a Comfortmatic or Renault version of robotic 'Auto' see any problems with them being used for the Disabled ? (no left leg operation).

Ray

i would have thought the comfortmatic to be perfect for disabled ie.hand or leg or both

Tweaky - 2012-02-25 11:38 AM

Thanks jhorsf - seems to be the majority choice. The dealer was so much against them and made me think.

Appreciate your help.

Tweaky

You may find a motorhome dealer with manuals for sale will say they do not sell well they are no good etc.

this will be because they have none for sale and want you to but one of their vans

Archived