LD Line Dover to Calais

nowtelse2do

I rang this morning for a price, the lowest which was close to our preferred times was £93 return for 6.5m x 3.0 high.

This compared to a quote for Dunkirk of £48 return, which I need to book before close of play today, otherwise its rises to £58 return.

I was curious about the pricing, so I asked the agent if the pricing policy takes into account the vehicle height as whenever we're on a ferry we are always put with the coaches and lorries who are always much higher than us.

His reply was that yes they priced on height, length and on the day, but not the time of day. So when I asked if there was a loading policy, he said he thought there was one. I then asked if sales and loading talk to each other and recieved a laugh/chuckle.....nuff said.

For information, on the 'phone they simply ask if its over 2.4m high, on the website the height is graduated in 10cm stages, but I guess once you are over 2.4m than a different price structure kicks in.

I know that the current CC offer to Dunkirk DOES take into account the time of day, but that, I understand is because its a special offer.

nowtelse2do - 2012-02-18 8:02 PM

No brainer then Tony, £45 saving goes a long way to half a tank of fuel. :-D

Dave

Yep, booked it last night £48 return, spent some of the saving on half price VIP lounge. Now we can get away from the plebs and kids, anyway got to go and iron my cavat.

I'm tempted to invest the rest on a bet that Greece comes out of the Euro, the toss up is will it be over Easter or the May Day Bank holiday weekend, its going to happen. I might put a tenner on both.

• 4 weeks later...
starvin marvin - 2012-02-19 4:46 PM

nowtelse2do - 2012-02-18 8:02 PM

No brainer then Tony, £45 saving goes a long way to half a tank of fuel. :-D

Dave

Yep, booked it last night £48 return, spent some of the saving on half price VIP lounge. Now we can get away from the plebs and kids, anyway got to go and iron my cavat.

I'm tempted to invest the rest on a bet that Greece comes out of the Euro, the toss up is will it be over Easter or the May Day Bank holiday weekend, its going to happen. I might put a tenner on both.

Just watch it-I am one of the plebs who has booked on DFDS and I'll send the wife round if you give any more lip. Can't miss us-fat belly, bald head, gold chains and tattoos-and that's just the wife. See you on board

Mike

sshortcircuit - 2012-03-14 10:01 PM

Did a like for like with P&O. About 100 pound (cant find pound sign on iPad) cheaper with P&O so you can assume I will not be using them and that is before CCC discount

When you wrote 100 the £ sign is just below the 7. At least on mine it is

Unfortunately I was not very specific as I am using a Logitech keypad which is so much easier. However thank you anyway.

It wil be an Alt something so here goes ¡€#¢8§¶•ªºœ?®´†¥¨^øpåß?ƒ©??°¬O˜O˜çv?~µ== Nope

Found it ££££££££££££££££££ If I press a keyboard symbol on the Logitech it brings up the iPad keyboard and ££££££££££££

The wonders, thanks again

• 1 month later...

I have used LD Lines on the western channe crossing since they took over from P and O. Frankly they have always been no frills....but recently that standard has slipped into no knickers territory. The Norman Spirit is quite and old ship. LD Lines tend to start fairly average with any service then cut back until its worse. (Anyone thinking of using Norman Voyager out of Portsmouth...Don't. Unless you want cholera. The 'best' (and I use that term loosely) staff have been put on the new Dover service and the crew remaining look like their last job was in the soup kitchen in a Gulag.

The point is...yes....the price is lower than the competition. But how much lower and is it worth it? I.E. Good value? Where once we could say 'yes' now we say 'no'. They have very much gone down the 'Ryan Air' route of appearing cheaper but bumping up the costs of extras and catering even though its sub-standard. You can make it work...as long as you organize yourself and don't buy a damn thing on board.

I wouldn't travel on an LD Lines ship now. I can't help think the crew are the ones in charge of the lifeboats in an emergency and that, in itself , is enough to give me pause.

We used LD Lines last year on the Dover - Dunkirk route and this Easter on the Portsmouth - Le Havre route. When we did our searching for prices on-line no-one could do better than the Caravan Club Ferry booking service, got a huge £100 discounted price on the return price (Portsmouth - Le Havre) with twin bed inside cabin and large Motorhome (priced at 9 metres length and 3.5 metres height).

Archived