Warning: Catalytic Converter stolen from MH

gonewalkabout

Just had the cat stolen from my MH stored at a site in mid Essex. It seems that this storage facility is being targetted. Don't know if it is the same site as the one mentioned in your message from February.I have had the bolts on the new cat spot welded to deter any further thefts and I am looking at a clamp or alarm as well. I have moved the vehicle to another better lit position on the site but I suspect thieves will return again at some time.

Have you managed to find a more secure site in Essex?

Many thanks

Guest Peter James
Madmaggott - 2012-02-26 3:47 PM
Peter James - 2012-02-18 11:02 AMSorry to hear that, but thanks for the info.The Government are withdrawing benefits from people where there are no jobs, so I guess we will see more of this.

What a strange thing to say; one is either honest or dishonest.  IE, if you would steal someones property you're dishonest regardless of government policy.

Can you not understand that if the government withdraws their benefits, so they have no money, they are more likely to go out nicking CATs?Not making any moral judgement there. not trying to justify anything, just statiing facts.

Guest Peter James
Avenall - 2012-09-29 1:43 AM

Just had the cat stolen from my MH stored at a site in mid Essex. It seems that this storage facility is being targetted. Don't know if it is the same site as the one mentioned in your message from February.I have had the bolts on the new cat spot welded to deter any further thefts and I am looking at a clamp or alarm as well. I have moved the vehicle to another better lit position on the site but I suspect thieves will return again at some time.

Have you managed to find a more secure site in Essex?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Spot welding the nuts on will not stop them because they can buy a pipe cutter for about £20 that will cut through the exhaust pipe in seconds. (a larger version of the type you see in DIY stores for cutting through plumbing pipes) Then you have to replace the complete system. Chheaper to let them unbolt the CAT so you only have to replace that.

Bad news.

No-one on the Spnaish motorhome forums seems to have suffered this, at least not yet.

But for the first time (to my personal knowledge) this has also now happened on the Costa Blanca in Spain.

Whilst looking at loads of secondhand MH's here last month with a view to trading up, we saw an X250 based Fiat Ducato at Caravanas Gandia, which we were quite interested in (but in the end, the price-to-change from that dealer was too great).

But I did notice whilst ferreting underneath it that the cat looked brand new.

Turns out the previous owner had had to have a new one fitted by the local Fiat dealer here, after the original was stolen. I saw the invoice for the new one; the cost was a tad over 900 euros.

Guest pelmetman
BGD - 2012-09-29 12:49 PM

Bad news.

No-one on the Spnaish motorhome forums seems to have suffered this, at least not yet.

But for the first time (to my personal knowledge) this has also now happened on the Costa Blanca in Spain.

Whilst looking at loads of secondhand MH's here last month with a view to trading up, we saw an X250 based Fiat Ducato at Caravanas Gandia, which we were quite interested in (but in the end, the price-to-change from that dealer was too great).

But I did notice whilst ferreting underneath it that the cat looked brand new.

Turns out the previous owner had had to have a new one fitted by the local Fiat dealer here, after the original was stolen. I saw the invoice for the new one; the cost was a tad over 900 euros.

I suspect the UK cat thieves go to Spain for their hoildays ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2012-09-29 3:29 AM

Can you not understand that if the government withdraws their benefits, so they have no money, they are more likely to go out nicking CATs?

Not making any moral judgement there. not trying to justify anything, just statiing facts.

So lock them up for longer ;-)........I heard somewhere it costs 42k to lock them up for a year.....bargain :D.....................when you compare the cost of letting them out after a few weeks and then they're back out thieving again get caught back through the system again at a cost of many thousands *-)..........We'd save a fortune by locking them up for 5 years minimum >:-).........It would be a boost to the economy if we built double the number of prisons and all the extra employment >:-)

Naturally the lawyers wouldn't be very happy (lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2012-09-29 1:48 PM

Peter James - 2012-09-29 3:29 AM

Can you not understand that if the government withdraws their benefits, so they have no money, they are more likely to go out nicking CATs?

Not making any moral judgement there. not trying to justify anything, just statiing facts.

So lock them up for longer ;-)........I heard somewhere it costs 42k to lock them up for a year.....bargain :D.....................when you compare the cost of letting them out after a few weeks and then they're back out thieving again get caught back through the system again at a cost of many thousands *-)..........We'd save a fortune by locking them up for 5 years minimum >:-).........It would be a boost to the economy if we built double the number of prisons and all the extra employment >:-)

Naturally the lawyers wouldn't be very happy (lol) (lol)

Costs us £42k a year to keep them inside, but we save £4k a year on their benefits (lol)

Archived