Information please "wild camping" Souhtern Ireland

griff 585

Wouldn't recomend wild camping. Unless of course you want to join all the gypos which are all over the place and they are a right lot of tykes.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-02-18 4:46 PM

Wouldn't recomend wild camping. Unless of course you want to join all the gypos which are all over the place and they are a right lot of tykes.

I think your find they're all over here Peter ;-).................I expect they all have nice houses back in Ireland :D.....................and spend their time complaining about us Brits wild camping everywhere (lol) (lol)

A few years back I took a small caravan to the Republic.

I pitched on farmers fields, B&B car park, the green in the village, several lay bys, and on the beach car parks.

I managed for 2 weeks:-)

Oh, and when we camped with the travelling people for a night on a small piece of grassland, we were made welcome and offered very cheap Irish whiskey (in a pop bottle).

It was some years back so maybe things have changed.

H

PS Yes I bought some "potcheen" it wasn't bad.

Hi Griff - welcome to the mad house, I see the 'old grumpies' have already been out to meet you! :D

We did a 3 week tour of Ireland (North and South) last year and didn't stay on a single site, so yes it can be done. Sometimes we had to search a bit, but ended up with some absolutely beautiful places for the night.

Hi Griff

I live in Ireland and use my camper most weekends, I can assure out that Ireland is a great place to visit in a motorhome and there are plenty of places to wild camp with no problems at all. You will not find the place overrun with travellers, should you decide to come over for your holiday as long as you are considerate and tidy no one will bother you infact the Irish are very well known for being friendly to visitors. if I can be of any help please mail me, enjoy your trip and hopefully you will come back on to the forum and say how you found our wee country

Griff,

Welcome, we went to Southern Ireland a couple of years ago, (ferry just 'down the road' in Fishguard). Went across to the Dingle Peninsular, Ring of Kerry , Cork , Blarney etc., NOT as many sites as I expected, ( we usually stay on sites). and HAD to wild camp a few times, we found plenty of places once away from Towns/Cities, however not many 'Laybys' just for a 'T' stop ? all had height barriers ?? don't know what their Truck drivers do for a break i'm sure ? Dingle is lovely, say hello to 'Fungee' the Dolphin if he's still there. ,A great 'Wild' spot nr. Dingle, small side road left heading toward sea, about 1 mile before Dingle. Thats it everyone will be there now !!! (lol) (lol) Ray

Welcome Griff.......regardless of some negative and useless comments to your enquiry..........you will find lots of places to wild camp in the south. West cork and Kerry have loads of beautiful wild country side and you'll find many small villages and towns where you can pull for a night or two. Some hotels and pubs have no problem with a van staying overnight. Me thinks you'll enjoy your stay . One nice spot is Baltimore where you can park just off the harbour and no remarks passed.

As with wild camping anywher......common sense applies. Enjoy your stay, :-)

Archived