Wont get out of bed for less than fifty a day

nightrider

I met a guy this morning who I hadn't seen for a while, how goes it John said I? Got any casual work said he? depends on what comes in, its early days yet am looking towards march before we get out on the patch said I, give us a knock if you need any labour said he, how much a day are you wanting said I, and he said I wont get out of bed for less than fifty quid a day in the hand, this is of course on top of his job seekers allowence, dont think I will be knocking on his door.

I'd get out of bed to earn a fiver and travel fifty miles for it.

You sure Malc?

With fuel prices what they are - even a car that does 50 mpg will cost you in the region of £6 in fuel.

What gets me is that with 70% of that £6 being tax, it would mean you paid £4.20 in tax for the pleasure of making a loss of a quid.

I am not defending this guys work ethic - but I now meet many many people whose tax bill on fuel costs is considerably more than they pay in other taxes. And this does effect their ability to travel to a job.

You are right Malc

The problem we have in this country is that tax £'s are spent on things that most of the population think are crazy PLUS the fact that the tax burden on the average person is now so high that some seek justification in NOT working and so become yet more of the crazy tax spend by becoming a benefit recipient rather than a contributor.

It is a downward spiral that has a very bumpy end point.

:-S

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2012-02-19 9:49 AM

You are right Malc

The problem we have in this country is that tax £'s are spent on things that most of the population think are crazy PLUS the fact that the tax burden on the average person is now so high that some seek justification in NOT working and so become yet more of the crazy tax spend by becoming a benefit recipient rather than a contributor.

It is a downward spiral that has a very bumpy end point.

:-S

Yep agree with that Clive......................Just one of the reasons I can no longer be bothered to earn more than I need ;-)..............................

BTW Sue's just noticed one of my private pensions start paying out next year :-D...............I'd forgotten when I started it...............it was to kick when I reached 55 :D....................£60 a month will help the long terming fund (lol) (lol)

You lot are on the wrong planet! :-) About seven years ago a work colleague has a conversation with a developer's solicitor over a boundary dispute. Hourly rates came into the conversation, and my colleague said he was charged at £70 per hour. The solicitor laughed, and said he wouldn't get out of bed for less than £100 per hour. So, how much today? Don't think he'd have opened an eye for £50 per day even then, let alone now! How I hate cheapskates! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-19 7:35 PM

You lot are on the wrong planet! :-) About seven years ago a work colleague has a conversation with a developer's solicitor over a boundary dispute. Hourly rates came into the conversation, and my colleague said he was charged at £70 per hour. The solicitor laughed, and said he wouldn't get out of bed for less than £100 per hour. So, how much today? Don't think he'd have opened an eye for £50 per day even then, let alone now! How I hate cheapskates! :-D

Yep, that sounds like the solicitors I've been winding up for the last few years. Of cause their usual M.O. is to 'helpfully' write letters for clients addressed to another firm of solicitors, who of cause reply ... nice little earner, but when they find themselves facing someone not using another firm of solicitors and even worse they find themselves having to foot the bill for a third party. :D

There are quite a few members of this group who have good well paid jobs and are well into financial matters way over my head, I am like the song "a common old working man" but one thing that I can make is money.

Over the winter "down" period I have been ensconced in my woodworking shop developing and ironing out problems of not one but two niche markets that are now producing results, to be quite honest I am rather proud of what I have achieved, I might not make a million but I will never face the threat of being thrown out of work and end up wasting away on the dole, two simple idea's that produce good pounds shillings and pence.

Archived