A/S Nuevo Fiamma habitation under seat battery replacement?

David B

I am in France at the moment and my habitation battery in my 2005 Nuevo ES is on its last legs. It sits under the drivers seat and is a Fiamma battery fitted by Autosleepers. It is quite small at 250 x 160 x 200mm (LxWxH) excluding the fixing lugs on the base.

I am having problems finding a suitable battery here in France. I have looked on the Tanya website and the Numax batteries listed are all too large. I have searched their site but cannot find any that fit.

Does anyone know of a direct replacement for the Nuevo habitation battery (?)

David B - 2012-02-20 8:25 PM

I am in France at the moment and my habitation battery in my 2005 Nuevo ES is on its last legs. It sits under the drivers seat and is a Fiamma battery fitted by Autosleepers. It is quite small at 250 x 160 x 200mm (LxWxH) excluding the fixing lugs on the base.

I am having problems finding a suitable battery here in France. I have looked on the Tanya website and the Numax batteries listed are all too large. I have searched their site but cannot find any that fit.

Don't know of a direct replacement but I have bought 2 batteries from these people and price, delivery & service were 1st Class. To date have had no problems with the batteries either. They have various sizes -if you look at all their offerings you may find one to fit

Mike

Car Batteries Direct

Unit 1 Ambrose House,

Ambrose Street,

MANCHESTER,

M12 5DD

David B - 2012-02-20 8:25 PM

I wasn't aware that Fiamma made batteries...

Are you certain your quoted dimensions are correct, as the width of 160mm seems awfully narrow? I would expect a width of at least 175mm for any leisure-battery fitted to a motorhome.

There's this entry on the ASOC website:

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t2271-replacement-nuevo-leisure-battery-rating

(I also have a vague recollection that Auto-Sleepers may have fitted two leisure-batteries on some models - a smallish capacity one and an even smaller one. That's not the case with your Nuevo by any chance?)

I guess it's stating the obvious, but Auto-Sleepers themselves may be able to advise you on possible batteries that you might use if it turns out the one you've currently got has unusual dimensions.

Robinhood - 2012-02-21 10:48 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2012-02-21 10:31 AM

I wasn't aware that Fiamma made batteries...

....I suspect it may be a FIAMM battery.

Edit:

(If the OP can quote the model number, it may well be possible to search for an equivalent).

Good thinking - there's a list of FIAMM battery references here http://tinyurl.com/6q3cypj and a casual check indicates that some have dimensions close to those David mentions.

There are a couple of threads on the MHF forum (where David has also asked this question) relating to Nuevo leisure-battery replacement.

It would appear from these (and the ASOC thread) that the Nuevo handbook stated that the original battery was an 80Ah one. Also, that it SHOULD be possible to fit a battery with the dimensions L260mm x W175mm x H225mm.

I just find it odd that Auto-Sleepers would fit a FIAMM battery as original equipment, particularly one with dimensions that suggest a really small Ah capacity. I've looked back through David's postings and noted that he obtained his Nuevo towards the end of 2006, so he's not the vehicle's first owner. I'm attracted by the idea that the current battery is not the original and that it should be possible to replace it with a dimensionally larger battery rather than attempt to identify another 'size-alike' battery.

Thanks for the responses and links. I finally found a battery that fits. Unfortunately its only a 60Ah one, but it should keep us going on holiday with plenty of sun on the solar panel! I will have to give some thought to a second battery when we get home.

Thanks again. Silly me! I have just checked the old battery and yes it is a FIAMM, not a Fiamma!!!! My eyes are due for testing!

You should be able to fit a standard 80 AH battery such as teh Banner 95601 with ease. It is not as tall as the 60Ah but is longer. It would be very strange if it did not fit. However you do need to remove the seat to get it in and then replace the seat. Using a shorter taller as you have, means it can be manouvered in without removing the seat....I think.

I did remove the seat to access the old battery and fit the new one. When abroad the problem is finding sources of battery sellers. I found a local motorhome dealer but they only had larger batteries and were surprised at the relatively small dimensions of the Nuevo battery. I went to a large car servicing group - Feu Vert - but even a car battery would not fit. I found a replacement at a yacht chandlers, but it was a choice between the small 60 Ah or too large, so I opted for the smaller one till we get home. The solar panel (90watt) is keeping up with the evening power usage and the 60Ah is fine while the sun shines - it is all the day!

We are now in Rosa/Roses in Spain and enjoying ourselves having destressed from battery hunting.

Thanks again for the resonses which I will followup on return to UK.

Guest Tracker

It would pay to check with a digital voltmeter that the battery is charging from the alternator as the split charge relay fuses which are located just under the bonnet in front of the vehicle battery (right where all the rain and road dirt can reach it!) are prone to corrosion and poor contact.

Easy enough to remove, check, clean or replace once you know about it but lots of people have replaced batteries needlessly due to not knowing about this design feature.

Archived