ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS ON A CITROEN RELAY CAMPERVAN

francheezy

HI

WE HAVE A 2003 CITROEN RELAY CAMPERVAN WITH A 2LITRE HDI PUGEOT ENGINE. ITS HAS 34,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK, WE ARE ON OUR 3RD ALTERNATOR THE LAST ONE LASTING LESS THAN EIGHTEEN MONTHS. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL OR IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THESE PUGEOT ENGINES AND IF SO DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CURE.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES.

They are not known for being problematic so I am wondering if maybe with such a low mileage and lack of use the slip rings are tarnishing and not actually much wrong except needing run for longer to get it working.

I do think my theory is a bit far fetched though. Have you maybe too much load on it such as a massive battery bank or letting batteries go flat and alternator is is having to work much harder and is burning it out. Seems odd and possible original failure was just bad luck and replacemnets have all been poor quaity rebuilt ones possibly of a lower power rating.

If you can maybe give more details it might help prompt a thought or too as to what might be going wrong and why. e.g its the bearings which fail which could be caused by a siezed belt tensioner/damper making the belt far too tight.

Jon.

edit. Just as an example, if you have an AGM starter battrey and you run it flat and jump start and drive the engine fast too soon it can burn out an alternator pretty fast, as an AGM starter battery which is flat can act like a short on an alternator. problem being the alternator temp rises so quick the over temperature protection does not get a chance to come into play and cut the output current.

A warning to all with flat batteries and jump starting...let the engine idle for a while before driving off and then take your time for 20 mins or so. With non AGM batteries it is not so much of a problem.

p.s. Just so you know, It is considered bad manners on a forum to use caps except when needed to emphasise a word, it means you are shouting.

Alternators are very robust items these days, a single failure is not a particularly common experience so to have three go in quick succession suggests an outside influence is causing the problem. As Jon says it could be that the two replacements have been cheaply repaired units or that there is an excessive load being applied. Do you perhaps have a roof mounted air con unit that can be run from 12 volt with engine running as this would apply a very large and continuous load to the alternator.

D.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I apologise for the caps,its my wife who does the typing and this is the only forum we have ever used.

The belt tensioner might be a possibility. The van is used daily so i have never had a flat battery. It has one 75AH leisure battery.Both batteries were replaced two-three years ago. I don't have any electrical equipment that would cause a drain on the battery, e.g. air con,t.v. etc. The first altenator was replaced by Kwik-Fit and it was supposed to be higher rated than normal. The second replacement was done on Skye about 6 months ago.I am unclear whether the altenators were new or reconditioned ones, i assumed that at £500 the Kwik-Fit alt was new at that price it should have been,but it only lasted 18 months. The van is due a timing belt change this year so i certainly will have the tensioner checked.If these alts have been reconditioned where can i get a new alt i can rely on. Again thanks for you help.

John

Guest Tracker
Were the failed alternators tested to see which components failed as this might give you a clue about what caused it - especially if two failed for the same reason?

I apologise in advance if it isn't relevant, but my son-in-law was having similar problems with a Ford Probe. It turned out there is some connection between the alternator and the immobiliser, the recommendation is that you replace both at the same time or bear the consequences. Not a cheap option even with a Ford. Son-in-law looked on all the owner forums and eventually disconnected the immobiliser as per other users advice, end of problems. Like I said, if it isn't relevant, sorry. Merle

Archived