Suggestions for Germany

kelly58

Although we will be touring France again this year we quite fancy a toddle into Germany having been along the Mosel as far as Koblenz from Luxembourg.

I have a good German Map / Tour Guide / 2012 BordAtlas / ASCI CC card , so all I need now is some feedback / recomendations from you worthy people who may have come across some magic jems during your travels into Germany ,

If your target is to "toddle" into Germany from France, then I would suggest hopping over the border E or SE of Strasbourg and covering some of the Black Forest. In reality, the area anywhere between Baden Baden and Freiburg (and round about) is worth visiting, but there is an art to selecting those areas that are not wholly forest, and thus provide the better views and recreation. Very much different to the Mosel, but still just as attractive.

(You could, of course, target the Rhine, but you will find it busy and noisy after the Mosel, and though there is much to see, this might not be how you would want to follow-up.)

If the trip is to be dedicated to Germany, then there are many other suggestions, depending on your tastes. I find even the non-touristy areas generally have much to offer.

Second attempt site dropped me at final stage .

All sites mentioned are in Bord atlas 2012

We took cycles ,all along Mosel it is great for cycling.

We came out of Luxemburg mid March ,went to Tier easy walk into intresting town ,right on River.

From there to Piesport even closer to river ,If you like wine try the Mosel Piesport from Hotel next to road bridge opposite end of town from site easy walk 7 euroes a night .There also about 6 more sites in book within 10k .

Stayed at Enkirch large field next to River ,rail line on bank opposite ,use passenger ferry .Showers in infomation office over road.Great walks up through vine yards abvoe town,also good bike ride to next village.

Berncastle is nice place to visit,as you enter town pass the entrance to tunnel,left over road bridge turn left again large M/H car park only from 10am no over night .

Cochen again good place to visit ,as you go through town ,M/H parking on right next to River .

Ernst bel Cochem ,good Stell platze ,vine yard and wine warehouse ,resturants ,and good cycle path.

We never used a campstie only Stell platze most expensive was 7 euros with electric and water.

There are plenty of Stell platz coming from Tier end ,get less the nearer you get to Cochen.

Good place to stop coming back through Belguim is at Genk N50 57. 422' E005 31.944' IN THE Aires book for Benelux and Scandinavia, Wednesday is Market day ,but the area round site is really nice.

If you are thinking of a German holiday rather than adding a bit of Germany into your French itinery, I would suggest Berlin as a target destination taking in a few towns etc en route. There is a good Stellplatz at Potsdam that is more like a small campsite within walking distance of subway to Berlin city centre.

http://www.stellplatz-berlin.de/Home.2.0.html?&L=1

Berlin itself is well worth a visit as is Hamlyn to see the Pied Piper play (free in the park)- it is a lovely little town (There is a Stellplatz by the river here as well) and the national park area around Bad Lauterburg is well worth a visit.

Don't forget your Umwalt sticker though if you are going into the cities

Mike

If only going a short way then the Black Forest, as has been recommended is a good bet. It is not spectacular but a pleasant enough place for a few days. Lake Titisee and its village are pleasant, Gengonbach old town worth a stop. Triberg falls billed as Germanys biggest, nice walk here to the top. Rhine falls are certainly worth half a day and you can stop overnight in the carpark here. North side of Lake Constance with a visit to the Island of Mainau for its unique gardens. You can stay in carpark here but we stayed on a nice stell at the island of Reichenau and rode our scooter in. If you go a bit farther into Germany bottem half of the Romantic Road from Rothenburg ODT down to Oberammergau taking in castle at Neuschwanstein. If you are more specific on what you want it would be easier to give more detail.

There are lots of good suggestions there to choose from, if you have done the Mosel as far as Koblenz then I would suggest a drive allong the Romantic Strasse finishing at Fussen there is a good Stalplatz there and the scenery is breathtaking there are good bike rides around the lake, you could make your way back visiting Lake Konstance and the Black Forest. Whatever you do enjoy and have a good journey.

As already stated it depends on where-abouts in France you are coming from. The Black Forest is close to Strasbourg, pleasant enough and then there is a fair amount to see in the Schwäbische Alb region just to the East of the Black Forest.

Tübingen is a lovely example of a town on the river Neckar, well worth a visit - there is a campsite there on the river.

See pics.

Not far away at Hechingen, is Schloss Hohenzollen, seat of mad King Friedrich Wilhelm IV. For my money this is better than Neuschwanstein, and not as far!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle

See pic

There are some very pleasant little eateries all around the area - try the Albquell Brauhaus in Trochtelfingen - a guided tour of this small brewery, or the Friedrichhohle Gasthof at Wimsen near Hayingen - choose your own trout fron the stream in front of the Gasthof, with the boat trip into the natural underground caves.

(I have to admit that I may be bias, because I studied at the Max-Plank-Institüt in Tübingen way back in the 70’s, (hence the Phantoms) and keep going back to see good friends who live close by.)

tubingen.jpg.10c6d145e1f690a8e5298fb5908fb8b9.jpg

1719776604_Tubingenmarktplatz.jpg.8887096d8fa99a57d1fe5f72a0b85cdc.jpg

1182878128_hohenzollern19SqPhantoms.jpg.c0eb18ba13bf749cc5e45140929a1fda.jpg

We fully intended going to the Hartz mountains last year, OHs brother went a month before we were due to leave :-S he was staying in hotels but came back after a week he said he likes tree,s but not as many as were there !! he said Goslar yes ! but no where else unless you drove for miles !! did we miss out??

maggyd - 2012-02-21 9:45 PM

We fully intended going to the Hartz mountains last year, OHs brother went a month before we were due to leave :-S he was staying in hotels but came back after a week he said he likes tree,s but not as many as were there !! he said Goslar yes ! but no where else unless you drove for miles !! did we miss out??

Yes maggyd, lots of trees but also very scenic and we also found it a very relaxing area. We have been twice now and intend going back sometime in the future. If you do go, try to make it about mid May-early June. I think that is the best time.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2012-02-22 12:25 PM

Yes maggyd, lots of trees but also very scenic and we also found it a very relaxing area. We have been twice now and intend going back sometime in the future. If you do go, try to make it about mid May-early June. I think that is the best time.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave :-) I did have a feeling we should have gone and found out for ourselves.We did go away the 20thMay last year but were a month later this year :-S I hope we havent made a mistake.

Another place that we enjoyed was in the Thuringer Schieferbirge/Obere Saale Naturpark area. Infact the smallest German City is here called Ziegenruck. Just a very nice large village really but with a camp site. We didn't meet any people from the UK here. There is a large Dam on the river Saarle plus boat trip's and about 5 or 6 sites in the area. This is ideal area for fishermen and walking folk.

Dave

Not really. I am going to disagree with others here, mountains they are not, more rounded tree covered hills, bit like the Black Forest. OK if you are in the area for a couple of days but hardly worth going out of your way for. Black forest is better, more to see but neither is a rival to the Alps.

As Germany is being discussed, and if you like visiting cities, Stuttgart is well worth a visit. It is often overlooked as being all industrial, but far from it. Its an amazing city full of culture, museums, parks, zoo, vinyards, and loads if history and historic buildings not to mention the usual beer gardens. (one of the greenest as in trees and parks) cities in Europe actually. The transport system is excellent so easy to get about.

The cities campsite at Bad Canstatt is not bad, but is a walk from public transport, despite its short comings of having local workers (in some peoples eyes) often staying its quiet and friendly even when busy. For its short comings it has excellent facilities, washing and showers etc, and a pub/restaurant . My recommendation if you want a break from touring is to visit and stay 3 nights and get a 3 tag (day) ticket for the outer region transport system at around €13. You can get the inner area but for a small amount more you get the whole region and can get you up to Ludwigsberg on the train which is well worth it as well as to some of the other towns around.

You will find plenty to keep you amused for 3 days. We have been going for the last 9 years and stil find new things to do and explore.

We arrive in evening and wildcamp. there are choices for wild camping close by, you can even arrive late and stay next campsite and so far when we have arrived in the morning they do not charge extra.

So we wild camp ( ludwigsburg, or up by TV tower, or along by the sportz platzes, Wieblingen, or on the festival platz next to campsite. Next day we check into campsite and get the van set up, washing machines on the go and have a lazy day generally walking into Bad Canstatt and do some shopping. At some point one of us either gets the Ubahn, or cycles into the tourist office and buys the 3 day tickets. You can get the cheaper inner area from campsite. Day2 we hit the trains and transport system and explore, along with day 3 and day 4 and leave around 6pm and head south and find wild camping or go back to Ludwigsburg for the night so we only pay for 3 nights on the campsite and have five days city holidaying.

As I said there is no shortage of things to do in Stuttgart , and I used to visit on business and was on evening or night shifts for testing at Daimler Chrysler and frequently had delays of a few days kicking my heals and would explore the city...still I never tire of what it has to offer. People there are also very friendly and extremely helpful. The Mercedes Museum is walking distance of the campsite ( you can always jump on a bus as you have a 3 day ticket) and well woth a visit. There is also a Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. Another Museum worthy of a vist is the Natural History Museum ( one day a week most Municipal run museums are free one afternoon a week).

Also worthy of trip is the Seilbahn up to the Friedhof, its an old wooden carriage cable venicular up a steep climb. Go up any hill around Stuttgart and you get great views, and don't forget to go up the Main Station tower as good panormaic views of the city and you can view the new planned Railway exhibition.

Numerous parks you can stroll through never far from where you are and usually something of interest in most parks. SO to summarise Stuttgart it can be as busy a city holiday as you like or a peaceful relaxing break in rural parks and surroundings. Not many places can boast this.

(p.s. Can you tell I like Stuttgart?)

Losos - 2012-02-24 10:53 PM

What's an Umwalt sticker ?????

(An Umwelt Plakette)....a coloured and numbered tax disc sized sticker for your windscreen that shows the emissions category of your vehicle.There are a number of Low-Emissions Zones in Germany that ban the use of vehicles that do not conform to the emission standards for that particular zone.Many now insist on at least Euro III compliance (some higher). You must display an Umwelt Plakette to enter, and will be open to being fined if you don't, or your sticker indicates you don't meet the required standards.See:https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php for an easy way to obtain one in advance, and for more information the link in the page attached to the word "Umweltzonenbroschüre".(Whilst this is specific to Berlin, the principles apply to all Low-Emissions Zones in Germany, and a sticker obtained anywhere in Germany is recognised thorughout the country - though the required colour may be different for different zones).

We tried Germany for the first time last year and went as far as Bavaria which was lovely. This year we are looking at Black Forest area especially around Freiburg. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific camp sites, the one in Frieburg looks "cosy" as the units seem close together. We tow a motorbike for getting about on when we're on a site so I like larger size pitches. What I did like about Germany was the friendly welcome and restaurants/bars on the sites, all were of a good standard and reasonably priced.

Any helpful suggestions greatfully recieved.

We've stayed here:

http://www.camping-steingrubenhof.de/index_en.php?lang=en

twice in the past. It's around 10 miles from Freiburg as the crow flies, and in very attractive countryside.

We liked the location (and welcome) the first time, so returned some years later to find the facilities had had a very swish upgrade.

Lots of statics (as in many German sites, and despite which it was quiet on both our visits) but we were sited on a "touring" terrace with good views, the pitches being nicely long enough for a 24 ft van (but not much more) but reasonably good in width.

It's just out of the town/village of Sankt Peter (which is easily walkable and has the facilites you might need, but a bit of a hill). Also has its own very nice Gasthof with terrace at the site entrance, for meals/drinks.

The immediately local countryside is relatively unwooded for the Black Forest, which makes it good for walking (plenty of paths), and some interesting roads and local destinations for the bike.

Hello Hopesy,

We used the site in Freiburg (Camping Hirzberg) towards the end of July 2010 for two nights. The site is 'cosy', with 4 or 5 pitches on the lower end of the site being slightly more accessible for motorhomes. (We have a 6m coachbuilt.) Entry is a bit tight when several people are trying to get in or out at the same time and pitches are close together.

Having said that, we did get a pitch at the bottom of the site, facing the facility block and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. It is in the town so walking in was no problem and there is a very nice coffee shop not very far away, which did us for breakfast. Out of season I would think there would not be a problem. Hope this helps.

Susan

Archived