No Claims Discount and Insurance

ChasB

Last year I changed my insurance company from a company I had been with for over ten years. There premium was very high for 2011 / 2012 so I changed to a company that was more competitive by £200; a big saving.

The problem is that the new competitive company does not give a, no claims discount and does not recognise the no claims discount system.

The renewal time is fast approaching and my dilemma is do I renew with the competitive company or go back to my old original company where I will get back my no claims discount.

I have been told that if I remain for more than two years with the company that does not recognise the no claims discount system; I will loose any no claims discount I may have accrued.

Has anyone any experience with this to assist me to make an informed decision.

Hi Chas,

My insurance is with Safeguard with whom I have full NCB. My motorhome was my everyday transport. I have just bought a little Peugeot 306 runabout but could not find any insurance company that would except my NCB from the motorhome insurance, even Swinton who own Safeguard. I eventually Insured it through National Farmers Union who excepted the full NCB (6yrs) and who also insure motorhomes & caravans so it might be a good idea to contact them and see what they may offer.

Hope this might help you.

Dave

Might be easier to start looking at what your actual cover is between companies. You might find some things which are severely lacking in being covered with present company and on this basis a change is desireable. The original question no longer then applies. Just a suggestion to make it easier to decide to change.

Guest Tracker

Stating the obvious, in order to judge what best to do you need to know what would happen if you had a claim under a policy with no NCD.

Generally with an NCD based policy one claim will cost you two years NCD and two will cost you the lot but it can vary between companies and if you have a protected NCD you may not lose anything at all - but even with protected NCD the company can still load the premium to compensate themselves!

So instead of asking us - ask the insurers!

Tracker - 2012-02-22 1:08 PM

Stating the obvious, in order to judge what best to do you need to know what would happen if you had a claim under a policy with no NCD.

Generally with an NCD based policy one claim will cost you two years NCD and two will cost you the lot but it can vary between companies and if you have a protected NCD you may not lose anything at all - but even with protected NCD the company can still load the premium to compensate themselves!

So instead of asking us - ask the insurers!

Hello Tracker

Already asked the companies. I was asking the forum to see if anyone else has similar experiences!

With a no NCD policy like I have at present I get a full discount which they tell me is always given. If I have a claim, they tell me they still would give a full discount the next year after the claim but the policy would be loaded by 10% to 15%.

I was also told that if I had a protected NCD policy with a company that ran the NCD system then it would only be the NCD that would be protected; not the policy renewal premium. Therefore if I had a claim then that company would also load the policy perhaps more than 10% to 15%.

I was also told by my present company that if I left them at some date in the future they would provide written proof to a new insurance company the number of claim free years I had accrued with them; that new company would more often than not equate those years to a NCD.

Guest Tracker
That seems to me to answer your question then and, as ever, it comes down to the right balance between price, service and extent of cover and add ons to suit your needs and pocket?

I had my camper hit by an uninsured driver while it was parked at a petrol station. Although I had a protected NCB my insurers for both the camper and my car explained to me that I was now a "higher risk" driver, and the premiums were increased.

There is a logic here (I think?) but I'm sure I could also prove that I was no greater risk after the accident than I was before!

Guest Tracker
bob b - 2012-02-22 2:24 PM

So we pay a 'protected NCB' premium. If we have a prang, the insurance premium goes up but we keep the NCB.

Thats a new one on me. Insurance companys really do want it all ways.

Twas ever thus!!

If you have a no-claims discount with an insurer, when they send you yor renewal notice it should / probably will, show your acrued NCD in number of years. If it does not and you want to change insurers you need to ask them for it and they must / should send you it as proof of your acrued NCD.

If your new insurer does not give a NCD your existing NCD with the previous insurer usually ( I believe ) will be valid for two years. This would also be the case if you did not actually take out any insurance because for example, you did not now own a vehicle.

hth

Harvey

Hi - we have just changed from a NCD insurance company (Caravan Club) to one that does not recognise NCD and the initial question is a very good one. At the moment we have the renewal letter from the CC which gives the number of accrued years but also wonder what happens when you rejoin the NCD system. For information the CC, who we have had insurance with for years, bumped the insurance premium up by nearly double hence the move.

bob b - 2012-02-22 2:24 PM

So we pay a 'protected NCB' premium. If we have a prang, the insurance premium goes up but we keep the NCB.

Thats a new one on me. Insurance companys really do want it all ways.

A GOOGLE-search using "no claims discount" (omitting the quotes) will retrieve lots of information. The explanation on this link is pretty comprehensive:

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/car-insurance-buyers-guide-page-6-no-claims-bonus-explained

machra - 2012-02-22 10:46 PM

Hi - we have just changed from a NCD insurance company (Caravan Club) to one that does not recognise NCD and the initial question is a very good one. At the moment we have the renewal letter from the CC which gives the number of accrued years but also wonder what happens when you rejoin the NCD system. For information the CC, who we have had insurance with for years, bumped the insurance premium up by nearly double hence the move.

I have just telephoned a well known motorhome insurance company, who I have never been insured with to get a quote for this coming year. I told them I was with a company that did not run or recognise the no claims discount system; (a net rated policy). In fact just like my classic car policy. I explained to them that prior to being with this company I had been with a company for many years where I had accrued maximum NCD.

They quoted me on 5 years NCD stating that they would accept that I had at minimum 5 years claim free insurance history. The only proviso they required was that in the event of a claim then I could provide written proof of those 5 years claim free insurance history in the form of renewal notices showing the years NCD and for my current net rated company written proof from them.

I am still undecided which way to jump as what is said over the telephone to get your business, can later be denied.

I always thought that our insurance details, including if we make claims was contained on a centralised database that all insurance companies have access to and update with their own clients. The database that DVLA have access to.

It just goes to show that they all play by different rules then, because we both have cars, both with full no claims. When we first got our van 4 years ago, we were given an introductory 70% discount because we had several claim free years. This discount has stayed with us at each renewal, so even though there are only 2 of us in the household, we have 3 vehicles - all fully insured - all known about by the different companies that we are insured with, all with no claims discount. None of the vehicles is with the same company either. I'd say shop around. :-|

Guest Tracker

I have always gone with the best price with a known company that offers me the scope of cover that I need and NCD entitlement has never come into it other than sometimes the need for proof of it from a previous renewal notice.

These renewals do not always show NCD and sometimes you have to get a letter from the insurer confirming their period of insurance without a claim.

If you also have retained a copy of the NCD entitlement when you joined that company the two documents ought be enough proof of claim fee years for any new insurer bearing in mind how keen they usually are to get new business?

If you left one company for another and then went back to the first insurer that company should still have records of your policy details although you might have to provide a policy number and dates.

Like so much else these days insurance has changed from an ethical business built on the principals of 'utmost good faith', trust and integrity to one of grab as much as you can - and that also applies to some policyholders - not the likes of you and I, I hasten to add - which makes an already cynical insurer even more cynical.

Other than that I don't know what to say?

Archived