Info for BP Gas Light users

flicka

Not just the "Gas Light" bottles would be at risk...

http://www.bpgas.co.uk/bottled-gas/

(and I think the BP-related "Handygas" and "Macgas" brands may also still exist.)

If it proves impossible to exchange BP Gas Light bottles in the UK in future, I predict there will be a) plenty of these containers being offered at knock-down prices and b) adapters springing up on e-bay allowing them to be refilled with Autogas. In fact I might already have suitable parts in my Big Box of Brass Bits that would permit user-refilling (not that I'd ever do that of course!)

At least the Gas Light container is intended to hold propane and, being translucent, would be potentially 'safer' than an opaque exchange-only metal bottle (eg. a Calor canister) regarding user-refilling as it's possible to see how much LPG is in a GL bottle.

I have a BP Light bottle in the UK. I usuallly use the French Le Cube but ran out once in England so had to buy an English bottle. Cost over £50 at the time and still almost full of gas so emailed the supply depot.

I received this reply:

Dear Patricia,

In response to your email regarding the sale of BP Gas, it was announced 2 weeks ago BP's intent to sell the whole LPG business worldwide. This will be a lenghty process and is not likely to be complete until the end of 2013, so plenty time to use more gas!

We would hope the gaslight will be available for years to come but will be unclear on this until the sale is complete and with over 400,000 BP Gaslight customers, shall keep customers informed of any outcomes.

Many thanks for your enquiry,

Kind regards

Hope this reply may help other users.

• 1 month later...

We have 3 10kg bottles, yesterday i tried to return 1 to the stockist i purchased from back in 2007, with all the paperwork he refused my deposit back, as he said he no longer supplies the gas and have not done for the last 2 years, not been back to him for refills so was unaware of this.

Another cylinder i purchased the shop no longer trades.

I have now emailed bp gas to find out further information.

I did get refills at Homebase yesterday and they are unaware of the issue.

So shall be awaiting reply from BP.

We will try to keep using this gas for as long as possible, till Homebase runs out.

Maybe another company will produce the clear cylinders, which was our reason for buying so we can get a coillection of them lol. :$

This is the reply i received from BP.

Thank you for you email and interest in BP Gaslight bottles.

We would like to inform you, that at this stage BP has only announced intent to sell the LPG business. There are no buyers lined up to take over the business at this stage. We do appreciate that this means there are various questions that cannot be answered until a buyer is in place.

What we can confirm is that we are continuing to trade as normal. When you have used the gas in your BP Gas Light, please do contact us and we will be able to advise where you will be able to obtain a refill (paying only for the gas). This information is also on the bottle finder section of our website (http://www.bpgas.co.uk/lpg-finder/#bottlestockist) or just return the bottle to the usual place where you exchange it.

Whilst writing we would like to thank you for using BP Gas Light and trust that you will continue to use our product in the future.

Should you have any further queries please feel free to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Bernadett Asztalos

LPG Customer Facing CSR

BP European Business Service Centre

Tel.: 0845 300 0038

Fax: 0845 082 1707

Email: lpgb2b@uk.bp.com

This electronic message contains information from BP plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please accept or sincere apologies and notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.

Thank you for you email and interest in BP Gaslight bottles.

We would like to inform you, that at this stage BP has only announced intent to sell the LPG business. There are no buyers lined up to take over the business at this stage. We do appreciate that this means there are various questions that cannot be answered until a buyer is in place.

What we can confirm is that we are continuing to trade as normal. When you have used the gas in your BP Gas Light, please do contact us and we will be able to advise where you will be able to obtain a refill (paying only for the gas). This information is also on the bottle finder section of our website (http://www.bpgas.co.uk/lpg-finder/#bottlestockist) or just return the bottle to the usual place where you exchange it.

Whilst writing we would like to thank you for using BP Gas Light and trust that you will continue to use our product in the future.

Should you have any further queries please feel free to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Bernadett Asztalos

LPG Customer Facing CSR

BP European Business Service Centre

Tel.: 0845 300 0038

Fax: 0845 082 1707

Email: lpgb2b@uk.bp.com

This electronic message contains information from BP plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please accept or sincere apologies and notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.

Archived