noisy squeak

fairweather camper

Hi All.

I hope someone can help me, I have a Pilote Galaxy 40 A Class, and i have a very noisy squeak (well not really a squeak, more of a rubber, plastic rubbing squeak), sorry i know this sounds daft, it is in the front of the van,behind the dash, perhaps in the engine area, any ideas?. Could it be an engine mount ?, or am i on the wrong track.

Thanks Val :'( :-( :-(

It's often very difficult to identify accurately where in a vehicle a unusual noise is coming from. My last motorhome developed a whining noise that, from the driver's seat sounded to me like it was gearbox-related, but, once I was able to sit closer to the centre of the vehicle, the whine was plainly coming from the rear axle.

I'm guessing that your Galaxy is 8 to 10 years old and I'm aware that you are an experienced motorcaravanner (the Galaxy being your 5th motorhome). Presumably the noise only occurs when the vehicle is in motion (ie. it doesn't 'squeak' when, say, the vehicle is stopped at traffic lights), but does it squeak all the time when the vehicle is moving or just in certain situations - for instance, when the vehicle is going round a tight corner, or when driving on rough roads, or when it hits a deep pothole?

The noise could be due to exactly what you've suggested - plastic rubbing against plastic behind the dashboard - but it could be caused by something else entirely relating to an engine, brake, steering or suspension part. Might be something to do with an engine-mount: might not. However, even if you described the noise in detail, I'm doubtful that it would be possible to do more than guess at the cause.

If the squeak is really noisy, then I suggest you get the motorhome looked at professionally. It's quite likely that there's nothing seriously wrong with the vehicle, but better safe than sorry.

Hi Derek, Thanks for your reply, it is noisy all the time while in motion, but worse on uneven roads, I think I will have to take it to a professional, just looked at the MOT there is a provision on it saying worn engine mounting, so thats probably it, its not the engine because when i freewheel it is still there. Thanks once again.

Val

Agree totally with Derek, WE had a noise in a Devon motorhome we were convinced it was at the front of the van, but in fact was a panel moving about at floor level at the back. The only way we found it was to get someone else to drive it round the block a few times while I sat in the back.

Hope you find it soon

Archived