battery problem?

duetto owner

my transit duetto has a odd battery problem. if left a few days on the drive the ford keyfob[also works cobra alarm] will not open the doors. I have to put the key in the door and open that way, when i drive off the cobra alarm sounds after 5mins of driving I pull in and the key fob works ok and i can turn the alarm off.

the other day drove to a park for the after noon and the duetto in built tv would not play [able to reset channels ok] I presume because the battery is low [has a tranit vehicle battery and a autosleeper leisure battery].

i have check all internal lights none left on. any advice please vehicle these days no longer have a dashboard battery meter.

TV, can't say, but doubt is connected with key fob problem. I also doubt key fob problem is connected with starter or habitation battery faults.

If the fob is the standard Ford fob, which is actually the head of the key (and you only get one of these!), there is a re-chargeable cell of some sort in the fob itself that charges when in the ignition switch - I assume with the engine actually running. It therefore takes a while to re-charge. Haven't tried testing it, but if ours stops working the locks (no alarm fitted) about an hours drive seems to return all to normality. So, my first thought is that your fob cell is discharged and you need to drive it around for a while.

I also seem to remember that Ford acknowledged a defective batch of keys that lost charge excessively, and were exchanging these at no cost. Not sure how/where you would check for this, or whether the swap is still on - presumably your friendly neighbourhood Ford dealer? It would be useful if someone could please first confirm if my memory is reliable on this, and provide a few details. Otherwise, the cost of replacing the key with the fancy fob is staggering!! :-(

You are correct about the fobs (at least for recent Transits) recharging from the ignition slot. (but you knew that, didn't you ;-) )

As for the "recall" for lack of charging, see Mike 202's comments in this thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19839&posts=22

Much will depend, I think, on the age of the OP's 'van.

Robinhood - 2012-02-24 12:16 PM

You are correct about the fobs (at least for recent Transits) recharging from the ignition slot. (but you knew that, didn't you ;-) )

As for the "recall" for lack of charging, see Mike 202's comments in this thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19839&posts=22

Actually, Robin, I think this may be the link you meant: http://tinyurl.com/7mg9dgf?

I couldn't find a reference to the fob cell in the one you posted.

duetto owner - 2012-02-24 11:28 AM

because the battery is low [has a tranit vehicle battery and a autosleeper leisure battery].

It's a small point, but one which cost me a few angry hours arguing with the Ford garage that did my initial servicing; but both batteries were supplied by Ford as part of the Transit when it was initially delivered to Autosleeper..

Both batteries are located under the driver's seat, the starter battery is the one to the rear and the leisure battery (a VARTA) is the one nearest to the front. Don't let anyone tell you that Ford do not supply VARTA batteries as original equipment because they do.

The starter battery is used to sart the engine and not much else, it is the leisure battery which runs all the other equipment, including the radio when you are stopped. My guess is that it is this battery which has failed and thus affected your alarm.

The correct VARTA battery part is: 957-052-000 and it is a 90 a/h unit. Its dimensions (which are critical to fit in the space) are 353 mm (length) x 175 mm (width) x 190 mm (height)

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-24 4:50 PM

Robinhood - 2012-02-24 12:16 PM

Actually, Robin, I think this may be the link you meant: http://tinyurl.com/7mg9dgf?

I couldn't find a reference to the fob cell in the one you posted.

....well I still can (second post by Mike 202 "By the way some of the key fobs are faulty and discharge quite quickly - they are not the subject of a recall and are only changed on customer complaint/request as mine was")

Your link, however, doesn't work at all (unless you remove the question mark you've inadvertantly as part of the link, not the body text :-D )

Anyway, whatever the appropriate link, the info is pukka, your memory was correct, and the OP has picked up on it. Job's a good 'un. ;-)

Robinhood - 2012-02-24 6:11 PM...............................well I still can (second post by Mike 202 "By the way some of the key fobs are faulty and discharge quite quickly - they are not the subject of a recall and are only changed on customer complaint/request as mine was")

Your link, however, doesn't work at all (unless you remove the question mark you've inadvertantly as part of the link, not the body text :-D )

Anyway, whatever the appropriate link, the info is pukka, your memory was correct, and the OP has picked up on it. Job's a good 'un. ;-)

Why, so he does. Missed that - obviously! :$

Debugged (and tested :-)) link to other post - if anyone is still interested! http://tinyurl.com/7mg9dgf :$ :$

Acid test is if Ford still accept liability - assuming it is a duff fob!

Archived