Information please on sites at Millau

Wanderbirds

I have tried asking for help on the Sites Section of this forum but it seems to be a "no go area" - few hits and fewer answers, so I am trying here.

We are thinking of spending a few nights at Millau, Midi-Pyrénées in September on the way back North. We will use our ACSI card and are looking at

Camping Côte Sud; Camping des Deux Rivières; Du Viaduc; Larribal; Les Erables or Les Rivages.

Can you recommend any of these? Any information on using our bikes and/or inflatable canoe from the site, though not at the same time and walking distance into town would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

We used Les Erables autumn last year. Plentiful shade, good facilities, well run and maintained, very clean, pleasant owners, and town walkable from site, a few, coveted, riverside pitches at the far end. There could be some noise on pitches near the entrance, but once beyond the facilities block this should not be a problem. Free WiFi when we were there, with a relay transmitter on the facilities block so, if wanting to use this from your van, don't stray too far from the block!

We have never stopped in Millau except for a bit of shopping and a mooch around. However for boating just 12 miles or so West of Millau is St Rome De Tarn which is a stunning little village with a deep and wide stretch of the Tarn. Their is s cascade a mile up the river which you can row under and some lovely beaches and stretches of river down stream. The best part is that here is one of nicest wild spots or unofficial Aires you will find in the area and you can fall out of your van into the boat. Or there are two campsites there if you like that sort of thing.

I little further north but not far is Lake Pareloup just a mile or so north of the village of Salles Curran. another great Aire there where you can launch the boat from. Just be aware that the wind can get up on the lake in the wide bit. I spent an hour trying to row our Dinghy against it to get back up the lake in September and just wasnt going anywhere.

Also there are no services at either but local campsite will allow you to use their facilities.

Some pics

31990279_hank_rhone_tarn(Custom).jpg.ba550a276fe9d0e37d3a20634b8ab2e0.jpg

1759141125_RomedeTarn1(Custom).jpg.076c1d3b87f8f0601564cef3b9bec2a1.jpg

731420356_pareloup(Custom).jpg.13b2c90a704273eb21d88a1ab9a6fd3a.jpg

We stayed at Camping Cote Sud in Millau travelling both north and south in May last year and enjoyed our few days on the site. It is quite possible to walk into the down from the site, but it is uphill. We very much enjoyed exploring les Remparts du Larsac which takes you round the 5 Templar sites just south of Millau. Campsite reception had plenty of info, leaflets etc. Although the site borders the river on one side I wouldn't be sure about the possibility of canoeing there - could e-mail reception.

We found this site was much easier for getting into the surrounding area than Les Peupliers at Riviere sur Tarn which we had used a couple of years before. Be aware that you can avoid the high toll cost of the viaduct bridge by coming off just before Millaue and rejoining the autoroute the other side quite easily.

Hope this helps

The Deux Rivages site is excellent. You can canoe from the site (although the water is not very deep but plenty canoe on that river) and it is about a 20 minute walk into town and is about 10 minutes from an Aldi or Lidl. There are sun and shady pitches and a decent pool. I've stayed there 4 times as a stop off on my way south.

"Be aware that you can avoid the high toll cost of the viaduct bridge by coming off just before Millaue and rejoining the autoroute the other side quite easily. "

Certainly, but surely part of the reason for visiting Millau is to drive across that glorious 'bridge in the sky'!

silverbike - 2012-02-27 5:18 PM

"Be aware that you can avoid the high toll cost of the viaduct bridge by coming off just before Millaue and rejoining the autoroute the other side quite easily. "

Certainly, but surely part of the reason for visiting Millau is to drive across that glorious 'bridge in the sky'!

Thank you for the warning Silverbike. I did know as it is would be particularly costly for us. Athough our MH is only 6.2m long and we tow a 2.5m long trailer with our large scooter on which would put us in Band 2 costing €9.60 in Sept/Oct. However, we are in Band 4 with the 42 tonne lorries because we are 3.850kg and a couple of cm over 3 metres high so it would cost us €29.60 at any time of year.

Archived