Brit Stops 2012

WhiteCheyenneMan

Just received my 2012 Brit Stops Guide having discovered it too late for last year. It's brilliant!

There's been so much talk of this country's lack of enthusiasm for Motorhomers and the consequential lack of Aires/Stellplatz. I can't see our backward looking local authorities doing much this side of Armageddon.
So it's been left to Private Enterprise and they've done it. Well done Brit Stops!
If we all support their initiative, this network can grow to a comprehensive national scheme.

As you have to buy the book and the 'hosts' are supposed to check that you are a 'member' it's more like France Passion.

Aires/Stellplatz are open to all.

These schemes, motorhomestopover.co.uk is similar, skirt round the site licence/planning permission issue by effectively ignoring it but I guess that sometimes it's necessary to break the rules to force a change.

AndyC

Guest Tracker

Cost is on the website - £25 after March but £20 if you pre order now - or that's what it said yesterday!

We no longer holiday in the UK so it's not much benefit for us and at £20 for about 150 one night only stop offs spread all over the UK it's usefulness might be limited?

That said along with the Pub stopover book and the use of CCC THS CS and weekend meets it would enable quite a long tour of the UK without ever using a camp site!

But I'm not knocking it as it is an excellent start for such a long overdue format and I applaud and appreciate all the hard work put in by it's creators and the participating venues for their foresight and support. Well done all.

We joined Brit Stops last year when it was launched, and have just received our renewal and 2012 guidebook. Well impressed with all the extra new locations - 146 hosts in total - and can't wait to get on the road to visit some of them.

It's a great idea - my wife loves staying at Brit Stops. Says it's a bit like wild camping, only you feel welcome, safer and more secure.

The guide is extremely professionally produced and packed with lots of handy info such as: which stops have wi-fi; which ones welcome dogs; which ones have black waste disposal, which ones can provide electric hook-up and much more.

A superb way to travel the country and enjoy regional produce along the way. :-)

Well done Steve!!

ips - 2012-02-25 12:51 PM

Spose its usefullnes depends on were they all are and if there in an area you may be going to

There's a pretty good spread across the country. The map on the Brit Stops website doesn't appear to have been updated yet - for example, the online map shows 8 stops in Wales, but the new guide in fact has 16 stops in the Principality!

http://www.britstops.com/britstops-map.html

And there are far more stops in the other regions than indicated on the current on-line map. No doubt it will be updated soon to match the one on the back cover of the 2012 guide.

I hope they succeed we need something is this country to enable easy touring catering for motorhomer's needs rather than caravans.

John's comment about being left to private enterprise, it's not that uncommon in Germany probably 50% of the Stellplatz we have stayed on have been privately owned & run.

Tracker - 2012-02-25 12:41 PM...............That said along with the Pub stopover book and the use of CCC THS CS and weekend meets it would enable quite a long tour of the UK without ever using a camp site!.................

When you say 'Pub Stopover Book' are you referring to http://www.motorhomestopover.co.uk/index.html and, okay I'm probably being a bit thick here, but what's CCC THS CS?

CCC = Camping and Caravanning Club

THS = Temporary Holiday sites - run by members for members. Often on sports fields or in school grounds but could be anywhere, cheap camping, often with no or limited facilities, but a useful resource if you like to camp on a budget

CS = certificated site - CCC version of Caravan Club CL

Hope that helps :-D

josie gibblebucket - 2012-02-25 8:23 PMCCC = Camping and Caravanning ClubTHS = Temporary Holiday sites - run by members for members. Often on sports fields or in school grounds but could be anywhere, cheap camping, often with no or limited facilities, but a useful resource if you like to camp on a budgetCS = certificated site - CCC version of Caravan Club CLHope that helps :-D

You see! Put them together in a logical group and I'm lost :-(

• 2 weeks later...

A bit confused about the cost.

The "Welcome" page says the only charge is a one-off charge for the guide, but later on website states that mambership is £25 per year.

ie "A one-off purchase of the Brit Stops guide is the only expense necessary to enjoy overnight stays in interesting locations all over the UK." and

"The Brit Stops guide to free motorhome stopovers costs just £25 for a year and is valid from March to March. "

A bit contradictory?>?>

Guest Tracker

One off payment per year with no ongoing or extra parking or camping fees payable at the locations is how I understand it?

Simples!!

Archived