Entreprenours

nightrider

Guest pelmetman

I do it all the time Malcolm ;-)......................but I can't be bothered to make anything of it anymore,,,,,as it means working with your hands which is so old fashioned *-)

pelmetman - 2012-02-25 8:03 PM

I do it all the time Malcolm ;-)......................but I can't be bothered to make anything of it anymore,,,,,as it means working with your hands which is so old fashioned *-)

So if you don't use your hands, Dave

Are you one of those gifted people who type with their toes :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2012-02-25 8:25 PM

pelmetman - 2012-02-25 8:03 PM

So if you don't use your hands, Dave

Are you one of those gifted people who type with their toes :D :D :D :D :D :D

You can mock John :D..................but as I have ranted on many occasion, if you work with your hands your classed as a second class, at best you might be considered an artisan.................the academics have taken over *-).........................BUT if you go back in history we were level pegging ;-)................... for generations the academics have run the shop.................which probably explains why the west is bankrupt (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Well Malc, I'm very much an ideas person, or as I prefer to describe myself, an opportunist.

The Missus regularly chirps up with, " I don't know how you spot these b****y things"!!!

My biggest idea regret was entrusting it to a person who I knew to be completely negative when it came to starting the ball rolling.

The Missus :-(

Long story short. And I mean short too.

Her factory was stuffed with shoes and handbags that were just lying there. I'm talking in the region of 100,000 + pairs of shoes and about 5000 handbags. Undamaged - no problems at all, just returns that were uneconomical for the manufacturer to take them back, so they paid the factory to keep them.

About 5 years ago, we discussed at some length placing the items on the internet and/or me selling some or all of them to local traders or market stall holders.

We couldn't lose. The factory were happy to let us have them on a sale or return basis and would have stored them until we sold them.

The Missus steadfastly declined my attempts to speak with the owners to further discuss terms, saying she'd "sort it out".

Well time rolled on. And on.

I couldn't believe the factory hadn't thought of this idea themselves, maybe they couldn't be bothered.

Well when I finally decided to barge in and negotiate it was too late. A chap had got in touch, asked a few questions and took the lot. At a fraction of what I'd have paid too.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

But with all due respect Martyn that is opportunism ;-)........................Which is now the current currency of your average entrepreneur...............or to use a well hackney'd phrase to earn a fast buck *-)

Sadly it has now become fashionable, even respectable 8-)...............They used to be called asset strippers which is more accurate >:-(

As Robin would say a plague on both their houses...............but with inflation I say a plague on all of their un earn't houses :D

Dave, fair comment again but I did allude to opportunism in my first line.

They were sat there, doing nowt, just crying out for someone (me) to have the balls to try and do something with them, at least I was prepared to put part of my neck on the line with visiting local traders and markets etc.

Anyway, spilt milk syndrome springs to mind.

I think a bit of "piggy backing", i.e. developing other folks ideas is ok too. If they're too lazy or unimaginative to move and develop that's their issue.

Martyn

Many many years ago I worked for a company that made a very effecive medication against diarrhea - Imodium. It works well but should not be used in children long term and we were approached by some researchers who suggested that what would be good for children was a simple salts sachet (physiological body salts - not just NaCl) that could be added to water so the kiddy could be re-hydrated which is the killer of kids if they get really bad diarrhea.

These medics had had a lot of success with flat Coca-Cola of all things but it was not ideal as the caffiene tended to make the kids excitable. But it is a good tip - if you get a dose of the squits, a couple of glasses of Coca Cola works wonders - but it is best to let it go a bit flat before drinking. The last thing you need is MORE internal pressure! (lol)

I put it forward as a suggestion but it was turned down as being "non-viable". I then discussed doing it ourselves but the medics wanderred off, I was too young and inexperienced and I too ended up doing other things, but the opportunity did nag away at me.

18 months later - Dioralyte sachets were launched and proved an instant success.

The people that launched it made a packet.

What a missed opportunity :-S

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2012-02-26 7:21 AM

I think a bit of "piggy backing", i.e. developing other folks ideas is ok too. If they're too lazy or unimaginative to move and develop that's their issue.

Martyn

Planning on retiring next year so will have a niche market pelmet business available if anyone wants it? ;-)................................£50 to £80 per hour working from home :D

Admittedly there is a lot of unemployment out there BUT there are oodles of opportunities if you open your eyes, see an opportunity, strike while the iron is hot and put your money where your mouth is and exploit the situation.

I have my main source of income but I have developed what I would call two niche markets and they are now paying dividends.

Throughout my working life I have never been out of work because i have always seen an opportunity to make an honest "fast buck", I've never been interested in making millions and employing thousands of people in a business empire, I am far too fond of pottering about.

I sacked my own son because he was getting on my nerves with his negative outlook on life, he was constantly harping on that I lived in a big house with a big garden while he lived in a one bedroomed council flat, so whose fault is that? not mine is it?

About 4 months ago I took on my school leaver grandson, that kid gave me a new lease of life, attentive, adaptable with a good apptitude, quick to pick things up and best of all he has got a good business head on his shoulders, chaos has now descended on my household because I have cut my son out of my will and left everything I own to my grandson Sammy under the guardianship of his nana, my wife.

pelmetman - 2012-02-26 8:55 AM

LordThornber - 2012-02-26 7:21 AM

Martyn

Planning on retiring next year so will have a niche market pelmet business available if anyone wants it? ;-)................................£50 to £80 per hour working from home :D

New blood in an existing business can work wonders

knight of the road - 2012-02-25 7:55 PM

Do we have any backyard inventors/entreprenours on this here site? Anyone got any money making idea's whizzing round their heads, am interested in whatever idea's you might have, legal of course.

If we did, do you honestly think that we would broadcast it to all a and sundry. Answer, no. We would be making money out of it. (lol)

But I'd be interested if anyone wants to be forthcoming with ways of making some money easilly. :D

pelmetman - 2012-02-25 10:26 PM

But with all due respect Martyn that is opportunism ;-)........................Which is now the current currency of your average entrepreneur...............or to use a well hackney'd phrase to earn a fast buck *-)

Sadly it has now become fashionable, even respectable 8-)...............They used to be called asset strippers which is more accurate >:-(

As Robin would say a plague on both their houses...............but with inflation I say a plague on all of their un earn't houses :D

Being an opportunist is still entrepreneurial (is that a real word?). I think Martyn is an entrepreneur for spoting such an opportunity.

Its all about being in the right place at the right time with the right product. If I offered you 1/2 meg broadband and email on all your computers installed in your business for £90 a month plus a £750 installation service you would laugh your tits off and tell me to get lost but ten years ago when I started my business thats exactly what we did and it flew off the shelf for a few years and paid my mortage off in 7.

Still watching for something similar.

Archived