Halogen oven and pork crackling ...

Mel B

Guest pelmetman
George Collings - 2012-02-25 10:27 PM

Luvly grub.

Dr Dave's reversing camera must be a cracker as well, look at the the speed the van traveling backwards at

Oh yeah (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

George Collings - 2012-02-25 10:27 PM

Luvly grub.

Dr Dave's reversing camera must be a cracker as well, look at the the speed the van traveling backwards at

If you care to stand on your head, close your eyes and do a reverse cartwheel you will see i am going forwards the road is going backwards or vice versa. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)its an optical dilusion :D

We cannot use our cvan on its seasonal pitch in Jan & Feb and so brought our Halogen oven home.

My son has taken it over as he comes in at all hours and it is great for cooking a smallish meal. We ourselves use it far more than our main oven now such that when we go back to the cvan next week (yippee!) we will be buying another - one for home and one for the cvan.

We have cooked whole chickens in ours with roasted vegetables and fish wrapped in foil is fantastic.

But the best bit?

We emailed out meter readings to our utility company last week. The electric usage is well down on what was expected and using a Halogen Oven is the only thing we have done differently from last winter. When you think about it, prior to having a Halogen Oven we had ourselves wacking on the main oven just about every day to cook something, as well as our son coming back and doing the same.

Gas usage is down as well but that is mainly for central heating not cooking so warmer temps this year help here. But electric in our house is simply lighting and cooking.

I think I am correct in saying our oven is circa 8 KW's whereas our Halogen Oven is just over 1KW.

Don't have the bill yet to confirm but from the figs we sent off our wonderful little Halogen Oven not only cooks brilliantly but is saving us a considerable sum as well.

Ours was £29.99 on offer from Robert Dyas. Fantastic value. Second one about to be bought.

pelmetman - 2012-02-25 9:59 PM

I presume the foil was to cover the meat whilst it rested?..............and not needed in the oven (?)

Yes Dave, I asked hubby today and that's exactly what he was using it for, he didn't need it in the over itself.

mikethebike - 2012-02-27 7:23 PM

Hi all

Which do you think is the best size for a van 12litre or 7litre? We will probably use it at home as well. There are only two of us.

Difficult to say! We have the Elgento 11 litre 1000w version (no extention ring) which is great for home, but I think for just the two of you for home and use in the van the 7 litre would be better as it will be easier to store and you'll be less likely to do very large joints of roast meat etc when away.

We picked our 11 litre and a couple of 7 litres ones (can't remember the makes) at car boot sales, one of the 7 litre ones is used by my Mum and the other we sold as, in the end, we didn't think we'd use it much in the van as we are rarely on hook-up! *-) .

I've just had a shuftie on the internet and you can actually get 7 litre ones with extention rings (to raise the height so you can get more in), so that may be the best compromise for you.

There are usually quite a few for sale on Ebay so it might be worth having a look on there and seeing if you can pick one up locally cheaper and see how you get on.

Guest pelmetman
Right time for a bit of controversy :D....................thinking about changing our 25 year old Tefal :-S...........................so which is best the Halogen or Remoska? ;-)....................FIGHT!!!!!!!!! 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-02-29 7:54 PM

Right time for a bit of controversy :D....................thinking about changing our 25 year old Tefal :-S...........................so which is best the Halogen or Remoska? ;-)....................FIGHT!!!!!!!!! 8-)

Seeing as you're a skinflint at the best of times, it will have to be the halogen oven! The price of the Remoska ovens is extortionate IMV. 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-02-29 8:28 PM

Seeing as you're a skinflint at the best of times, it will have to be the halogen oven! The price of the Remoska ovens is extortionate IMV. 8-)

Me!.......... a skinflint 8-)..................How could you say such a thing Mel :-S............I pay my stealth taxes and they're donated to the poor of countries with a space program ;-)

Looks like a Halogen then :-D...............but how long do they last and how expensive and how easy are the bulbs to change? ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-02-29 9:23 PM

Here's an idea Mr Pouffeeman... why not have a look at the links which I posted earlier in response to Michele's queries! *-) :D

But I'm a bloke 8-)......................you'll be expecting me to do the washing up next *-)..........Besides I'm to busy being an author at the moment..............I have to save my energies for my mews :D

Archived