american motorhomes/RV

halden

im new to this and i am still undecided which motorhome to buy considering a number of options one of which is an american style motorhome im hopeing i can get some ideas of the pros and cons of this style

would appreciate any replies on this

regards

Guest pelmetman

If your planning on using an RV mainly in this country then you will encounter size issues, not only with where you drive it, but with sites as well.....................

The best advice is to hire before you buy ;-)

PS welcome to the funny farm :D

Hi and welcome !

IF your license covers you to drive an RV (did you take your test before 1997 ?),

in this Country you can always do what most RV owners do and Tow a small car on an 'A-Frame',

provided it is properly braked. That solves some,but not all of the 'size' problems in the UK,

A lot of sites don't like Motorhomes over 30' long, so it's always best to phone ahead before arriving.

If you want 'Interesting reading' there are plenty of 'A-Frame' threads on here, both for and against.

Regards Ray

Be careful what you buy. Driving licence issues have already been mentioned, but the "grandfather rights" entitlement is only to 7.5 tonnes, and some RVs exceed this.

There is a batch of Ford engines that proved expensively unreliable: can't quote chapter and verse, but worth researching.

Be aware that a few which exceed the maximum permissible width for UK vehicles have found their way onto the UK market.

Make sure it comes from a totally reliable source. American electrics, and all fitted mains appliances, will be 110V, and either a substantial step-down transformer, or some replacement parts, are required to convert to 230V mains supplies. Ditto LPG supply pressures and appliances. Good dealers will have attended to this, others may not.

Make sure you have someone in your area who can service these vehicles, and check whether spares and consumables are readily available at reasonable cost.

They drink like fish, so be prepared for very high fuel bills!

If thinking of taking it abroad, forget the A frame bit above and buy one with a proper garage at the back, and stick your Smart or whatever in that. Much easier overall, and if you are happy driving a small bus, a slightly larger bus shouldn't present you with too much of a problem! (But remember that driving licence!)

The size of these vehicles provides vast interior space compared to European vans, but does not suit all European (especially UK) roads. Whether this would restrict how you can use such a vehicle, will then depend on what you want to do. I think it fair to say that most of us find our ideas and ambitions change quite radically once we get a van, and many find that what they at first thought would be ideal, turns out not to be so after a few trips. This is an expensive revelation! :-) These are the largest category of motorhome on the roads, and are relatively expensive both to buy and run. It would therefore be well worth trying by hiring before committing to something you may subsequently find just doesn't suit how you want to use it.

Halden,

As a further point about American RV's, if you get a Petrol fueled one, make sure it already has an LPG conversion . It will 'soften the blow' of high fuel cost (a Bit). A lot of 'Living' space if you don't mind it being a bit 'Ungainly' on the road. Relatively cheap compared to similar sized european vans ie Hymer,Carthago, Niesman & Bischoff.

Ray

You don't give any idea of how much you want to spend.

Times are changing, and not all American RVs are the huge gas guzzlers of old. There is a new generation of more compact, more fuel efficient RVs.

Winnebago is a brand that always springs to mind as a typical RV. They now produce RVs that are based on the Mercedes Sprinter with a diesel engine and are more compact than many large European motorhomes yet still have slide-outs to increase the living space when parked up. Take a look at this http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2012/via/

There are Sprinter based RVs from other firms as well.

However, it'll be a few years before they trickle down onto the second hand market and they still have the issues of high weight and American electrics discussed above.

Hi

We had a small American 24ft, so length was not an issue, but we found the width of it to be a pain, especially on A roads, although you can go where a bus or large horse box can go, you are having to be constantly alert to the size of roads as you take up all of your side of the road, and if you wander just a little bit, as happens when you are looking around (i know you should keep your eyes on the road at all times, but then you miss the scenery) you then cross into the other side of the road, im sure this does not bother some people, im just saying what I found to be a pain and a bit of a strain as well

Regards Val

I used to run a Gulfstream Sunsport which was built on a John Deere chassis with a Cummins engine and Alinson Auto box. It averaged 14mpg and running and maintainance costs were very high. The build quality was the absolute pits with delamination of the side walls being very bad and the furniture was nailed to the floor with them protruding underneath. If anyone is considering buying one then it needs to be viewed over an inspection pit and be accompanied with some one who has commercial vehicle maintainance experience. The Onan generator which is normally fitted should be closely checked over as well. I wont mention the purchase price other than it was a complete rip off and totally over the top. I would say to anyone who is interested in buying one to go over to America and to buy it and have it shipped back over to Liverpool as deck cargo.

Got a friend who rented an RV in Colerado late last year and it was not very "winterised", in fact all windows were single glazed, the walls and floor were not very thick and they spent most of the time wrapped up in bedding when it snowed.

Maybe something else to think about. :-S

You don't actualy say what RV you are considering. There is a vast differance in size from the smallest to largest. All the ones I've driven have been very thirsty by euro standards and seem built like brick outhouses, there may well be lots of Mercs coming to europe as they are generaly regarded as rubbish in US not least due to the withdrawel of aftermarket support.

I held off commenting at the risk of upsetting any RV owners but I absolutely agree with the build quality issue.

I've previously contemplated 'conventional coach based' RVs and had a good poke around them at shows and dealers. I've looked at maybe 6 or 7 up close and they were all pretty shoddy underneath the chintz.

This may not be the case for all American RVs of course, I may have just been unlucky 6 or 7 consecutive times.

Anyone thinking of ownership should take care if build quality is something that is a high priority.

Hi and welcome to the mad house :D

You'll find that some of the other motorhome forums have sections specifically relating to RVs ... we're the 'skin flint' lot on this forum and most of us prefer to get more mileage per litre of fuel so tend to stick to European made vans ... (although we do have some RV nutters too ....! ;-) ).

Archived