Untaxed vehicles, what is reasonable?

LordThornber

A car near my home has been parked, untaxed (the Police confirm this) since October 2011. I have done all the obvious, DVLA etc.

Jack Straw our local MP has got involved and of course nothing has happened.

i have just contacted my local councillor to see what can be done.

Before anyone asks, no I do not have anything better to do, and I already provide volunteer work in the community.

I'm particularly narked because I pay my road fund license, indeed have just paid £215 to tax the motorhome I own, if you don't pay your road tax and can get away with it, good for you.

Anyway my question remains, what is reasonable? Petrol bomb it, tow it away myself ???? The owner has moved away and just left it by the way.

Frustrated Of Blackburn

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LordThornber - 2012-02-26 12:26 PM

I'm particularly narked because I pay my road fund license, indeed have just paid £215 to tax the motorhome I own, if you don't pay your road tax and can get away with it, good for you.

Frustrated Of Blackburn

Not quite sure why you are SO upset.

You paid your tax - and use your motorhome -

He didn't pay tax, and doesn't use his car -

( So I don't see why you link the two together ).

I agree it might be a bit annoying but,remember that if you DO petrol bomb it it will be a bit of an eyesore afterwards.

;-)

Hi Malc, I'm upset bacause the car is untaxed, therefore It is illegally occupying the road space where it's parked.

And I did say I've nothing better to do...

I'm also upset because unlike the owner, I pay my tax, and that seems fundamentally unfair, I pay. he doesn't, perhaps you're happy to go along with untaxed vehicles and/or not let it bother you.

But it bothers me.

Fire bombing it will result of course in me being prosecuted - assuming I'm caught, BUT here's the kicker- the Council then have to remove it, apparently the quickest way of getting it shifted.

Still Frustrated Of Blackburn

Guest Tracker

The DVLA may have fined him for untaxed or unsorned vehicle but you will never know that - or whether he has paid up - unlikely I suspect!

If it is on public land or highway it also needs to be MOTd and insured and the 'ask MID' database will tell you if it is insured or not?

The Police might - or might not - be more interested if you complain about an uninsured vehicle than an untaxed vehicle - but as it seems that they are only interested in chasing honest people who will pay a fine rather than those who will not that too seems unlikely?

If it bothers you that much, and I can understand why it would, you could always write to him at his last known address and offer to buy it from him and then sell it on to a breaker and have it collected and removed for scrap value?

LordThornber - 2012-02-26 12:57 PM

Hi Malc, I'm upset bacause the car is untaxed, therefore It is illegally occupying the road space where it's parked.

And I did say I've nothing better to do...

But it bothers me.

Yes the car IS untaxed - but it's also unused - so the owner is not really getting away with anything.

Presumably if he left it there forever unused, but it was taxed, it wouldn't bother you ?

I agree it should be taxed, or taken off the road, but it wouldn't bother me to the extent that our local MP would need to be involved.

I'm just a bit worried about your blood pressure mate !

;-)

Martyn, lets get one thing straight, to start with its me who has nowtelse2do so stop trying to alter your name (nowtelsebettertodo) to suit your leisure activity. I have got use to LT :-D

Don't tow it away, its someone else's property. You have done the correct thing and reported it to the police and the council. Follow up and ask if anything is being done about it, if not go higher up the chain. If it's just been left it probably is not insured or MOT that would make it unroadworthy. The police have the powers to crush it and send the bill to the owner. You have done the right thing and I would have done the same ;-)

Dave

Update time.

My local councillor, who just happens to be the leader of the Council, replied within 10 mins. She has promised to look in to the matter and no it wasn't an automated response.

Parking near me has become an issue and it taking up a space is yet another reason for it to be shunted away.

Clearly it doesn't bother some folk and hey, that's fine but the law is being broken and that amongst other matters, the parking issue being another, does bother me.

Just to enlighten. I reported it to DVLA online. Result? Nil.

It is NOT a Police or Council matter unless it is causing an obstruction or is a danger to the public. The insurance matter (it's uninsured too), the Police are aware of but still nothing happened.

So I wrote to Jack Straw, his response was that he'd spoken with DVLA and they don't have the resources to shift it as soon as they'd like to.

So that's alright then?

Nope, not for me it's not.

Martyn

Is the vehicle of any value? In a similar situation a friend of ours somehow got ownership, not sure how but it was all done legitimately, of an abandoned vehicle that had been left in the same place for a number of months. He didn't want the car but the registration plate. However he sold the car on after retaining the plate, and made £300 on it. The plate seemed on the face of it to be quite a nothing to most people being RAL 80 N, but now it is on his car it spells his name, each to their own, and he has been offered several thousand pounds for it!

Just food for thought.

Bas

I'd guesstimate the car is worth about £2000 so it's a no brainer to not do something with it, but some folk just don't care do they?

I'd love to get ownership just so I give the thing away to the scrap yard!

As for contacting my councillor, there are no restrictions on contact. Indeed they're positively encouraged. Good old Blackburn leading from the front, who'd have thought?

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2012-02-26 4:48 PM

I'd guesstimate the car is worth about £2000

Martyn

A car worth 2k in Blackburn 8-)...........................are you sure its not been stolen Martyn? :D (lol) (lol)

What about contacting one of the...well..shall we say, "less formal",scrap dealers in the area and see it they'll make it "disappear"..? ;-) (.. At least it may take their mind of pinchin' manhole covers!?)

(..Oh!..just in case Plod is monitoring this..I am of cause joking(?)...as I wouldn't want anyone to think that I'd promote the unauthorised "recycling" of someone else's abandoned,untaxed and unisured motor vehicle.... *-) )

Martyn , give it away on e bay FB come up with a scam . Failing that break in push it down the road leave it in an akward position . Plant a plant on it, paint it white. Egg it. kick it. Talk to the local yobs ask them if they know anyone who wants it lol....hope you get rid soon. :D :D

The owner Malc has well & truly gone. The house (well his Wife!!) has another car of some value too but that's in the drive. It's a shame really.

I suspect their relationship has ended and they've gone their separate ways, there's been no one at the house since Aug 2011. That was only briefly too, an hour or so I think it was, before that it was May 2011 when anyone last lived there.

Neither car has moved or almost a year now.

All very odd just to leave the cars though, the house I can just about understand if it's geting reposessed.

Martyn

Like so many of these cases, I suspect the car has been abandoned because it isn't moveable (i.e. cream krackered) & would cost more to repair than it is worth.

Then usually left & ignored by all the authorities, until the local jobbos have had a go at burning it & made it unsafe. Which will then incurr higher removal costs & often repairs to the road surface damaged by the fire.

You did what you could Martyn, but wouldn't be confident on a quick result.

Or you could slap a notice on it saying "Free for Spares" that should attract some attention from the "non-authorities" element.

LordThornber - 2012-02-26 12:57 PM

Fire bombing it will result of course in me being prosecuted - assuming I'm caught, BUT here's the kicker- the Council then have to remove it, apparently the quickest way of getting it shifted.

Steady on old chap ... that't one heck of a thing to consider doing ... what with the cost of fuel nowadays it could bankrupt you!!!! (lol)

LordThornber - 2012-02-26 6:44 PM

The owner Malc has well & truly gone. The house (well his Wife!!) has another car of some value too but that's in the drive. It's a shame really.

I suspect their relationship has ended and they've gone their separate ways, there's been no one at the house since Aug 2011. That was only briefly too, an hour or so I think it was, before that it was May 2011 when anyone last lived there.

All very odd just to leave the cars though, the house I can just about understand if it's geting reposessed.

Martyn

Is there room on his drive for two cars ?

:-|

Martyn

Looking behind the scenes there is more to the eye on this subject, a broken marriage, a broken life that has left a broken car, one of lifes tragedies.

knight of the road - 2012-02-27 8:31 AM

Martyn

Looking behind the scenes there is more to the eye on this subject, a broken marriage, a broken life that has left a broken car, one of lifes tragedies.

Very true Malc..

..it looks as though,in the overall scheme of things,the fact his car is untaxed,is probably right down at the bottom of this bloke's "Things to sort out" list... :-S

Archived