Removable steadies

Pang yue nam

Hi all, My Elnagh Joxy 26 has a rather long overhang. Recently I saw a van whose owner used 2 scissor jacks. He said that a trader at the recent Newbury show was demonstrating removable steadies as an alternative to scissor jacks. Unfortunately I did not ask who the trader was and I have been unable to find anything on the web. Anyone out there who can advise. Many thanks Pang

I think you may have been misinformed. I can understand why an owner of a motorhome not fitted with rear corner-steadies should choose to employ a pair of scissors-jacks as a cheap and cheerful way to stabilise the parked vehicle. What I can't really fathom out is why anyone contemplating fitting a motorhome with corner-steadies should want them to be removable. Ignoring powered levelling systems (often seen on RVs), motorhome corner-steadies fall into two distinct types - 'wind-down' or 'drop-down'. The former comes in a wide variety of designs, is the type traditionally fitted to caravans, and the operating principle mirrors that of a scissors-jack with extension/retraction requiring a winding-handle. Wind-down steadies will be available from most caravan accessory shops. Drop-down steadies are stowed horizontally beneath the motorhome's floor/chassis during travel. Deployment involves a detent being released and the steady being swung downwards through an arc to the jacking position. The steady is then telescoped length-wise until it reaches the ground when a rod/lever/handle may be used to apply tension. As these types of steady have 'universal' application and are often advertised for their simplicity/speed of use I suspect it was these that were being sold at the Newbury Show. CAK (www.caktanks.co.uk) market drop-down steadies in different lengths and finishes. If I intended to fit steadies to a motorhome then the first thing I'd do is check whether fixing-points for them were already in place on the vehicle. If they were then I'd make every effort to obtain the exact model of steady that the motorhome manufacturer used as this would make installation straightforward. If no fixing-points were apparent then it might well be easier to install drop-down steadies than wind-down ones. Conversely, it needs emphasising that to operate a drop-down steady you must be able to reach it manually. Not so amusing if the steady is concealed well under the vehicle, is covered in road muck and you are parked in a muddy field. Our Hobby has nicely engineered drop-down rear steadies (which we have never had any inclination to use) but, given the choice, I'd opt for the wind-down type instead for their greater facility of operation (and you keep your hands and knees clean!)

Many thanks for your detailed reply. There are no mounting points on the van, at least not that I can see. I haven't personally costed the fitting of steadies but I'm advised it is in the region of £300. The Joxy has two single beds to the rear and movement in the night does cause it to rock and No1 is a light sleeper. Many thanks again Pang

For a pair of Atwood 'drop down' steadies that would extend from 29cm to 45cm CAK's 2005 price-list quoted £41.03, or £49.45 for a pair of the longer 39cm to 55cm version. (Carriage was extra in both cases). Whatever type of stabilising jack you choose, the installation will need to be carefully planned so that operation of the steadies is as simple as possible. I suggest you shop around for the cost of fitting, but better to pay a bit more for a properly engineered job than risk a bargain price resulting in the jack failing under load.

Archived