Towing a trailer

trikeray

I've just had a custom trailer built to transport my trike behind the motorhome. How does the insurance work out i.e. who covers the trailer, my bike insurance or my 'van insurance or do I have to have a seperate insurance for the trailer. I took this option rather than transport the trike on it's own wheels as it cost over £30,000 so don't want any damage. Any advice appreciated. :-) (?)

Hi.there(ray?)..

..personally,I'd be speaking with the insurance companies as that's the only way of getting a definative answer..

Not that I'm saying you won't get good advice on here(..but you may also get all sorts of "mine says this "..."well,mine says that".."well a mate o' mine said...",type responses....(lol) )

Especially as the trike is so pricey, it's certainly best to ask the people who'll be doing the "insuring"...

;-)

I tow a motorbike. When i had the towbar fitted i phoned my insurance compnay and explained that i would be towing a motorbike. No problem they said just a few amendments over the phone and that was it.My van insurance covers the towing. I also advised my motorbike insurance company just tbe on the safe side

Hi Trikeray

I agree with Pepe

Talk to your Insurers, as all policies can vary.

Ours, we just had to notify them & trailer is covered, upto a financial limit, which we could increase for an additional premium - others may differ

Our Trailer will be for my wife's Electric Wheelchair, which is NOT covered by the Motorhome / Trailer Insurance. So we also have confirmed cover with the Insurer for the Wheelchair.

You also need to check your Trike Insurance to ensure it is covered whilst on the Trailer (not just when being towed.)

The Insurers may insist of some form of Security for the Trike whilst on the Trailer, especially considering it's value.

i.e. would it be feasible to have an Alatm link from the Trailer to the Motorhome, when detached on-site.

The advice on talking to the various insurance companies is very sound. I would particularly advise that you to talk to the insurance company which insures your trike. Most insurance policies only cover vehicles third party whilst on a trailer. We had great trouble finding insurance that was fully comp on a trailer. We had to insure our motorhome and in our case our scooter with the same firm namely Aviva. We couldn't find anyone else.

Motorhome insurance will generally cover the trailer 3rd party while on tow.

Insurance for trike has to be on the trike's policy. Can't vouch for trikes, but for cars, finding insurers that will cover fully comp when on trailer is an arduous task.

For insurance for trailer itself, NTTA do a policy at £89 - see http://www.ntta.co.uk/trailer_insurance/insurance.aspx

Don't forget theft insurance on the trailer itself....

Archived