toilet

triumph

Unaware of this being done but you can always try although flow of water over it will be minimal unless you give a long flush but then you will be emptying and filling very frequently. There are option and one is to add a chemical into the flush water. Another option is to fit a SOG unit which draws air down into the cassette when you open the slide and keeps the odours down with no chemicals required.

More option will follow as there are many on here that enjoy a bit of toilet humour. (lol)

Our toilet flush is direct feed over rim flush, so no separate tank in which to put Thetford toilet Flush / deodoriser, so we flush as normal but have a spray bottle filled with the diluted pink flush fluid kept next to the toilet, we use that every visit ,it works for us. We use Blue in the cassette, never had any problems.  Your right to question any other product before using it on the plastic used in Motorhomes/Caravans .  if its safe for use on Plastic it will say so on the label.

You could try one of these - at least it should be chemically uncontroversial

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STEEL-DEODORISER-DISC-602-PERMANENTLY/dp/B0013XTP0E

As far as I can see, if the objective is to prevent/mask odours from within the toilet cassette, then you'd need either to put chemicals in the cassette itself or force-ventilate the cassette when the toilet is being used (eg. via a SOG system). If the objective is to perfume the washroom, then a hanging air-freshener would seem to be the most logical approach. I have seen 'harpic type' perfumed toilet blocks just hung up in the motorhome's washroom (ie. not put in the toilet bowl) and that ploy seemed to be fairly effective.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve but I would check with the toilet manufacturer before using harpic or any other 'strong' substance. It may be OK. There are the traditional 'plastic' toilets and, in the modern and more up market versions, ceramic style [more like you get at home]. My comments relate to the traditional type of 'plastic' toilets and support some of what has already been said.

If it is the smell, then you can buy additives for your toilet cassette which mask the smell for a few days. After that, they become less effective and you should empty the cassette. Some people, like me, have moved on to the SOG system as it extracts the smell without the use of chemicals. It's not a cost effective option; it's simply one that provides the well-being coming from not using chemicals. When you come to empty the toilet, you will realise the SOG does not mask the smell and it can be quite overpowering when you open the cassette to empty.

You can fit a SOG yourself although the dealer did mine.

If it is to keep the bowl clean and fragrant when not in use, you can buy additives for a separate water tank. More and more motorhomes have the single tank which provides drinking water and flush water. If you have a single tank, you can still buy the additives but use them separately. For example, I keep a container of the mixed solution and just rinse the bowl now an again - a bit like you do at home with bleach in the toilet bowl. Thetford also do a cleaner which is good but pricey.

I do as others have said and have a spray bottle of the pink stuff. I also use the Thetford toilet cleaner (not just the one for cleaning the plastic sink etc - don't think much of that) from time to time which leaves a lovely fresh smell. Then at least twice a year I put the tank cleaner in and let it soak - preferably give the van a short run - but you have to be very careful where you empty this. It does not say on the bottle but it must not be put in a septic tank. For each fill I use Thetford sachets so no mess or drips as with the liquid. I know they are expensive but they are light to carry and convenient to use.

Brock - 2012-02-28 10:34 AM

Not sure what you are trying to achieve but I would check with the toilet manufacturer before using harpic or any other 'strong' substance. It may be OK. There are the traditional 'plastic' toilets and, in the modern and more up market versions, ceramic style [more like you get at home]. My comments relate to the traditional type of 'plastic' toilets and support some of what has already been said.

If it is the smell, then you can buy additives for your toilet cassette which mask the smell for a few days. After that, they become less effective and you should empty the cassette. Some people, like me, have moved on to the SOG system as it extracts the smell without the use of chemicals. It's not a cost effective option; it's simply one that provides the well-being coming from not using chemicals. When you come to empty the toilet, you will realise the SOG does not mask the smell and it can be quite overpowering when you open the cassette to empty.

I will hold testament to the last statement, SOG systems users are a 'pain in the Arsxx' I try to dodge being anywhere near them, when they empty their cassettes, talk about 'Gut Wrenching' . USE BLOODY CHEMICALS YOU CHEAPSKATES, thats what Elsan invented them for.

I had a SOG system already installed in my 'van when I bought it, It's the only 'Useless' bit of kit I 'inherited'. both myself and the missus hate It. Give me good old 'Elsan Blue' every time.

KILLS germs, Smells, and Viruses, just as toilet fluids are SUPPOSED to do.

I would sell the SOG system but the Toilet access door etc., have already been 'Hacked About' to accommodate the bloody thing, I have disconnected the power to it though.

MY advice use 'ELSAN BLUE' , in the cassette, thetford i have found not to be as effective as it 'used to be' they have probably changed the contents. Their 'Pink' also encourages Bacterial growth in the Flush holding tank (if you have one). Again use Elsan 'Pink' it KILLS Bacteria and stops the 'black bits' (bacteria) forming. DON'T use harpic, it will probably destroy your 'rubber seals' that are the 'heart' of the cassette system.

*-) Ray

PS i have NO connection with Elsan. just like their products.Their Sachets are good too, not so keen on their 'green' fluid , it has no bacteria killing properties, so I stick to the Blue.

I also use a plastic spray bottle, but fill it with normal household disinfectant diluted,, to spray the bowl. I like the nice fresh smell of pine. i use the BLUE stuff for the cassette.

For the holding tank (Grey Water) I once or twice a year use JEYES Fluid , Put it in, go for a ride to slosh it about, and then empty, I like to do this a home, as we don't have septic tanks, like in France

Here we go on the SOG no SOG debate. I have no problems with smell when emptying my SOG, but I do it daily so it is minimal. Its all a matter of choice and I am not going to SHOUT at which is best but I certainely find any chemical additives obnoxitious. Again its all chioce.

It would appear with regard to the OP that the easiest solution is to have a small spray container for application after use

sshortcircuit - 2012-02-28 11:27 AM

Here we go on the SOG no SOG debate. I have no problems with smell when emptying my SOG, but I do it daily so it is minimal. Its all a matter of choice and I am not going to SHOUT at which is best but I certainely find any chemical additives obnoxitious. Again its all chioce.

It would appear with regard to the OP that the easiest solution is to have a small spray container for application after use

I was just stating 'the opposite view' about SOG (sorry shouting again). Systems. As the original poster, appeared to have little experience, either for or against. Just trying to give a 'balanced' view.

no-one had stated that SOG systems also have 'down sides'. isn't that what Forums are for ??

And i apologise for shouting, it's something my wife also scolds me for.( I must be a bit deaf). (lol) Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-02-28 11:06 AM

PS i have NO connection with Elsan. just like their products.Their Sachets are good too, not so keen on their 'green' fluid , it has no bacteria killing properties, so I stick to the Blue.

Ray, correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Elsan contains formaldehyde ( forbidden in most parts of Europe) and that is the problem for septic tanks (actually I don't like the smell of it either!), whereas Thetford blue is safe to use. If you run out you can get "safe" liquid toilet chemicals in the supermarkets. Dearer than in England but not only no formaldehyde but keeps the toilet smelling fresh and kills bacteria too. Who wants to be ill in a motorhome!

Patricia - 2012-02-28 12:05 PM

Ray, correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Elsan contains formaldehyde ( forbidden in most parts of Europe) and that is the problem for septic tanks (actually I don't like the smell of it either!), whereas Thetford blue is safe to use. If you run out you can get "safe" liquid toilet chemicals in the supermarkets. Dearer than in England but not only no formaldehyde but keeps the toilet smelling fresh and kills bacteria too. Who wants to be ill in a motorhome!

Hi Patricia

Could you mention any brand names, as when I am in France , I don't know what to look for re toilet cleaners, my French dose't run to that!!!

Pauline

Patricia - 2012-02-28 12:05 PM

You are correct, Elsan blue is made to BS.2893-2005. And was invented in 1920.(according to their website) : http://www.elsan.co.uk/traditional-range.html

I trust 'well-proven' products.

And you are also correct that No-one wants to be ill in their motorhome because of poor sanitation.

Formaldyhyde is an effective chemical at killing ALL germs,viruses,bacteria and is probably even stronger than Chlorine (bleach). I used to use it extensively in the Brewing industry as a 'Complete Steriliser' of all components. And no-one gained any ill effects from using and handling it.

And as Elsan have aquired a 'British Standard' which is still in place. Its good enough for me.

Ray

There are links to French,Dutch and Belgium websites where Elsan can be purchased on the above link.

I will hold testament to the last statement, SOG systems users are a 'pain in the Arsxx' I try to dodge being anywhere near them, when they empty their cassettes, talk about 'Gut Wrenching' . USE BLOODY CHEMICALS YOU CHEAPSKATES, thats what Elsan invented them for.......

*-) Ray

(lol) Oh, come on now Ray..tell us what you *really* think....? (lol) (lol)

I suppose we're "semi-cheapskates" now though..as we now use supermarket own brand,Bio washing liquid(..the stuff for clothes)..

We find it smells better (and for longer),than the other "proper" fluids we've used... ;-)

The safety data for Harpic products suggest that the Harpic perfumed toilet blocks are unlikely to harm the plastic components of a motorhome toilet. Generally speaking, if there were to be problems due to use of an overly aggressive cleaning product, it's more likely that it would be the rubber cassette-seal that would be at risk, not the plastic parts.

As sshortcircuit warned earlier, the rinsing process of a motorhome toilet is much gentler than that of a domestic loo. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 'toilet-block' idea as I'm very doubtful it will be work satisfactorily.

PJay - 2012-02-28 12:19 PM

Hi Patricia

Could you mention any brand names, as when I am in France , I don't know what to look for re toilet cleaners, my French dose't run to that!!!

Pauline

Hi Pauline

The only bottle I can find in my garage here in France is Campingaz Instablue Extra. However, I am not absolutely sure that this is the one I bought here at the local supermarket (Atac/Simply part of Auchan) as it is unopened. Will check anyway next time I go to this supermarket.

We put Lidl bio washing liquid in the tank and a spray bottle for the bowl, but we empty it every day when possible. No nasty niffs.

I'm with Peter here, we have SOG but use a drop of Lidl bio and empty daily. No whiffs and a clean cassette. Again we have an old Fairy Liquid bottle with a diluted mix by th eloo and give it a spray now and again. It might seem silly to put anything in when we've forked out on the SOG, but a big bottle of bio is only £1 or so and the no niffs is worth a lot more :-) Merle

Guest 1footinthegrave
What's that bloke on about " Use Elsan" hugely expensive stuff of dubious merit, especially if you empty on a frequent basis, add in the Formaldehyde that has to go somewhere and I'm surprised the stuff hasn't been banned outright . In any event the stuff isn't in the cassette long enough to break your doings down, so just something cheap to mask the odour a little does it for me, unless that is you like pouring money down the drain and adding even more toxic chemicals to the environment. ;-)

Archived