Argentina

CliveH

Llooks like more argybargy on the way - this from the Guardian (Oh my God I hear someone cry! - another quote!! (lol) )

"Two British cruise liners were turned away from an Argentine port as tensions mounted over the future of the Falkland Islands.

The P&O Cruises' ship Adonia and the Princess Cruises' vessel Star Princess were not allowed to dock at Ushuaia on the southern tip of Argentina."

Full article:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/27/british-cruise-ships-argentina-falklands

So no more Argentinian Reds for me - shame really - I like a nice glass of Malbec.

:-S

Guest Tracker

With the discovery of more oil in Argentina it is only a matter of time before the wealth generated enables the Argie government to rearm with modern weapons and have another bash at taking and holding the Falklands.

Due to defence cuts we would never be able to retake the Islands again and so we have to show enough strength and resolve now to deter them even trying in the future.

Part of the Argentine strategy is to apply political pressure by complaining about us deploying new and more powerful ships etc and this refusal of cruise liner access is simply part of this ongoing political pressure - which all tends to support the view that they are trying to soften up the Falklands ahead of any longer term ambition to retake.

It is true that if Argentina retake the Falklands it would be a tough call as to if we good get them back. However its not an issue as there is no way they could take them in the first place.

We have been busy of the last 30 years and have built a small fortress at Mount Pleasant. We also have the Eurofighter Typhoon down there as well as other attack Aircraft that could be deployed as backup. The Argies still have the same crap planes they had last time.

There is no way they could ever invade now without Air superiority and that simply wont happen.

Even if they get past the Typhoons (and they wont) the battery of Rapiers will blow them out of the sky.

There only chance would be to land special forces to blow it all up but getting past the navy parols and their hitech detection equipment as well as getting past our Iraq battle hardned infintary is to say the least unlikely.

As well as this a

Interestingly the New York Times says that the Falklands refused one of the ships recently on "Health Safety" grounds.

"The British-controlled Falklands turned away the same Princess ship a month ago, citing health safety reasons, after it had stopped in Argentina".

Full story here:-

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/world/americas/argentina-2-british-cruise-ships-are-turned-away-from-port.html

(Oh - damn it - thats another quote! (lol) when will it ever end.....................?)

So - I am not sure if some sort of tat for tit vendetta is starting?? :-S

Barryd999 - 2012-02-28 1:57 PM

It is true that if Argentina retake the Falklands it would be a tough call as to if we good get them back. However its not an issue as there is no way they could take them in the first place.

We have been busy of the last 30 years and have built a small fortress at Mount Pleasant. We also have the Eurofighter Typhoon down there as well as other attack Aircraft that could be deployed as backup. The Argies still have the same crap planes they had last time.

There is no way they could ever invade now without Air superiority and that simply wont happen.

Even if they get past the Typhoons (and they wont) the battery of Rapiers will blow them out of the sky.

There only chance would be to land special forces to blow it all up but getting past the navy parols and their hitech detection equipment as well as getting past our Iraq battle hardned infintary is to say the least unlikely.

As well as this a

Agree with your analysis Barry - were you going to go on to say that we have a Nuclear Sub in the area as well? (before the "send fairy" got over excited!!) - Because that is what I heard.

One or two people have mentioned Argentina " re- taking " the Falklands, but it's not really clear that they ever owned them.

Looking through Wikipedia it seems that all sorts of people have or had a claim at one time or another - the Dutch - the French - the Spanish - etc - and it seems there are people of Scandinavian origin living there.

:-|

CliveH - 2012-02-28 2:07 PM

Barryd999 - 2012-02-28 1:57 PM

As well as this a

Agree with your analysis Barry - were you going to go on to say that we have a Nuclear Sub in the area as well? (before the "send fairy" got over excited!!) - Because that is what I heard.

Yes and a flipping bit war ship I beleive.

malc d - 2012-02-28 2:14 PM

One or two people have mentioned Argentina " re- taking " the Falklands, but it's not really clear that they ever owned them.

Looking through Wikipedia it seems that all sorts of people have or had a claim at one time or another - the Dutch - the French - the Spanish - etc - and it seems there are people of Scandinavian origin living there.

I suppose you could argue that they didnt own Argentia either. Well the Spaniards that Colonised it didnt. Im no history expert but thats how I see it.

Barryd999 - 2012-02-28 3:05 PM

malc d - 2012-02-28 2:14 PM

I suppose you could argue that they didnt own Argentia either. Well the Spaniards that Colonised it didnt. Im no history expert but thats how I see it.

My point is that it seems to me that they hope to ' take ' the Falklands, not 're-take' - as it is not clear that they ever owned them in the first place.

;-)

I don't know about shooting our planes down but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure when a cruise ship lands in port it brings lots of revenue for the local area. They are obviously rich enough to pass on that revenue although clearly the local Mayor does not think so!

David

Klyne - 2012-02-28 3:32 PM

I don't know about shooting our planes down but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure when a cruise ship lands in port it brings lots of revenue for the local area. They are obviously rich enough to pass on that revenue although clearly the local Mayor does not think so!

David

Maybe they have the same type of councilers and Mayors that we do when we keep banging on about Motorhome Parking and Aires for the same reason! (lol)

Archived